Author Topic: Which brand is the best for a Pop Up hut  (Read 6637 times)

Offline KingKong

• IceShanty Rookie
Which brand is the best for a Pop Up hut
« on: Dec 19, 2008, 10:41 AM »
I live in CO. and I am going to invest in a ice shelter. Wind will be a factor. Was wondering out these four brands, which will give me the best bang for the buck.  Any suggestions are welcome or input..

Eastman ice cube

Clam Basecamp

Shappell Ice House 6000

Eskimo Quick Fish III

Offline fishwiz4

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Playin' Hooky in my new X2!
Re: Which brand is the best for a Pop Up hut
« Reply #1 on: Dec 19, 2008, 10:46 AM »
they are all so similar that you should probably get the one that you can get the best deal on.
i know some models have a sipper that is directly on the corner (not sure which models) and i heard that the V-shaped sipper is better and lasts longer.

but....yea..... get the one thats one sale or most convienent.
eagles may fly....but weasles don't get sucked into jet engines

Offline holehopper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Me and Dave Genz
« Reply #2 on: Dec 19, 2008, 05:28 PM »
I own an Eastman and an Eskimo...both are cube style.  Personally, I would go with the Clam version based simply on the fabric.  They use their "Ice Armor" fabric which I really like.  Good stuff. 
Never Stop Never Stopping

Offline quiter

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Does it really stink in here!
« Reply #3 on: Dec 19, 2008, 05:34 PM »
If wind is a real prob go with low profile.

Offline country boy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 19, 2008, 05:42 PM »
I like my ice cube alot, but big wind can be a challenge. Tie it down real good or It Will Blow Over.

Offline Hollywood703

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 20, 2008, 08:33 AM »
I have never had mine blow over, I start setup by putting 1 anchor in the ground on the windward side....attach my line to it, then setup my tent. 1 stake will be good enough to get you up then you can add atakes as needed...I have never needed more than 2 stakes up to about 30mph, but it wasnt a swirling wind.

I agree with going with what is cost effective, I know i saw a bunch of eastman ice cubes on ebay new for about $150 shipped. I like the black materieal as if the sub is out any bit that shanty is warm enough to not use a heater all day and half the time warm enough to shed my jacket.

Offline icefisher-45

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 20, 2008, 08:36 AM »
I'm going with the clam base camp. Trying to save money. Just had to replace my water heater. :icefish:
Take a kid ice fishing

Offline walleye tattoo

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Wisconsin chapter
« Reply #7 on: Dec 20, 2008, 10:53 AM »
I have the East Msm 111 it is great for two an as said two ice anchors is about the most I have ever set up. Buy the one you can get the best price on if I had to go purchase a new one to day because I had to have it I would buy the clam material is heaver and  i like the corner tie down integrated.JMO

Live to fish forced to work

Offline A2F

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Waiting for ice !
« Reply #8 on: Dec 31, 2008, 06:27 PM »
I have a 4man Ice Cube which I purchased on ebay for under 2 bills. I have never had a problem with wind but a friend of mine has. He didnt secure the tent to the ice before he popped it open, as I'm sure you already can amagine a gust of wind came up and he chased the tent about a mile up river on foot !! By the time he got back we had a bucket full of smelt !

I have not tried any others to compare but I wouldnt hesitate to purchase a cube. And heres why.
1. Fairly inexpensive at under $200
2. Very lightweight, compact, and portable weather your on foot, or machine.
3. Anchors supplied easily screw into the ice with very little effort for securing to the ice.
4. This is will be my 3rd season using it and the material and zipper are in perfect condition.

The only negatives I can think of and they are not a big deal is if your big boys like my father and I then the 4 man is really only suitable for 3 plus a heater at the best.. Smaller guys may fit 4 fine.

I spray my tent with a silocone spray before each season and make sure I open and dry out the tent after every trip. Even if we have a warm day and the tent doesnt get used I still open it up for a day just in case.

All the best to you all in the new year...
Cheers
Addicted2Fishing
A2F
My Dad and grandpa taught me to fish as a child  and now I teach my kids to fish ! Take a kid fishing , its the circle of life !

Offline jbird68

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 02, 2009, 04:11 PM »
I made spreadsheet a few years back when I was looking for a 1-man Flip-over style shanty.
Here is what I came up with.

http://www.frontiernet.net/~jaycub/PortableShelters.pdf

keep in mind the prices are from a few years back and some of the newer models probably not listed. I hope this helps someone.
jbird68

Offline ice chaser

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 31, 2009, 09:16 PM »
 I have The Base Camp and love it. Put the door on the down wind side and anchors on the windward side and I haven't had to chase it. The base camp is 6' x 6' but with the sides there is more like 8' x 8' of elbow room. two people with a lot of room- three people without a bunch of extras in the tent is still comfortable. My buddy and I have drilled 5 holes across one side- middle hole for the Vex and we both had two holes to fish from. A Coleman Northstar works great for heat and light. 
Dewey, Cheatum, and Howe

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.