Author Topic: Suitcase style shanty mods  (Read 6756 times)

Offline Steellord2

• Team IceShanty Regular
Suitcase style shanty mods
« on: Nov 27, 2009, 11:22 AM »
Hey guys,
I'm going out tomorrow to pick up a Clam 2000 suitcase style shanty and I was wondering what the other owners of these types of shanty have done to modify/customize them?.  I've got a few ideas kicking around in my head on custom touches for my new shanty. I would like to know what other ideas are out there. So let's see the creativity of the group.
 :icefish:
Steellord
Maille Artisan
ICQ# 24735418
~~~~~~~~~~~~
There are 4 boxes to use in the defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo.
Use in that order!

Offline Hollywood703

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Suitcase style shanty mods
« Reply #1 on: Nov 27, 2009, 03:03 PM »
other than some sort of sled....i havent heard of much......not having one cant give much suggestions.....

Offline C P

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hold my beer and watch this
« Reply #2 on: Nov 27, 2009, 03:08 PM »
I would make sure theres a spot for beer!  ;D
I caught a fish once! 

TEAM MITTEN

"EDITED"

Offline beeverfishing

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Nov 27, 2009, 05:21 PM »
Not sure there is much you can do with them considering they fold up the way they do... High end carpeting ?..  UHMW plastic runners ?  don't think there are many options, But would love to hear what you come up with..

Offline Melbs7

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Nov 27, 2009, 10:09 PM »
I had a clam 5600 and I would say about the only thing I could think of... like was already posted was build a sled of some sort... so you dont feel like ur going to have a heart attack every time you head out. I built a sled... it helped... but I still sold the Clam.....

Offline mmb

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "What do you do with all the ice you catch?"
« Reply #5 on: Nov 27, 2009, 11:13 PM »
http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=41499.msg436531#msg436531

I added alum. stock to strengthen the plastic tub around the pull points and added some anchor points to help keep the shanty shut when pulling.

Offline Steellord2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Nov 28, 2009, 07:31 AM »
http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=41499.msg436531#msg436531

I added alum. stock to strengthen the plastic tub around the pull points and added some anchor points to help keep the shanty shut when pulling.

This is a great idea and I happen to be working in a place to get the aluminum stock to do this to my new shanty. Thanks for the tip mmb  :)
I'm also going to be using a sled I had built for the pop-up blind shanty I was working on for this new shanty.

Steellord
Maille Artisan
ICQ# 24735418
~~~~~~~~~~~~
Use in that order!

Offline mushroom_capd_1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Nov 28, 2009, 07:59 AM »
Pretty simple to do but I made a little platform/table to fit over the middle for the heater out of a couple pieces of scrap 2x4 and about a 12x12 scrap of plywood. My floor cracked on the side with the 5 gal. pailholders so it might be a good idea to cut a sheet of plywood to fit on that side. I've seen and heard of more than a few clam 2000's that cracked and busted up on that side of the floor.

Offline Steellord2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Nov 28, 2009, 05:38 PM »
Well I picked up the shanty today.  :clap:
I put it up in the garage and am going to leave it up in there for a while. The material needs to stretch some, it was really tight putting it up out of the box. I already have some ideas I want to try doing to it. I want to add some conduit poles along the front and rear to put hangers on for coats and such. Lots of ideas, so little time!. I'll post pics as I go along.
Steellord
Maille Artisan
ICQ# 24735418
~~~~~~~~~~~~
Use in that order!

Offline Walleye64

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Nov 29, 2009, 09:21 PM »

http://i45.tinypic.com/1zvy6wo.jpg[/IMG]
a must have for suitcase shacks, I made it for my clam jr.
IMG]http://i48.tinypic.com/nvpeo7.jpg[/IMG]

Offline Walleye64

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Nov 29, 2009, 09:24 PM »

Offline Walleye64

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Nov 29, 2009, 09:25 PM »

Offline smitty0312

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Build A Smitty Sled.......it's a back & lung saver
« Reply #12 on: Dec 04, 2009, 03:55 PM »
I made this for $15.00 for my shapell suitcase shanty. Makes life a whole lot easier. A long pull rope is the key. Smitty

[email protected] if you don't have a FB account.....or search "The Original Smitty Sled" on FB....thank you

Offline needice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Dec 07, 2009, 08:34 AM »
Hey guys,
I'm going out tomorrow to pick up a Clam 2000 suitcase style shanty and I was wondering what the other owners of these types of shanty have done to modify/customize them?.  I've got a few ideas kicking around in my head on custom touches for my new shanty. I would like to know what other ideas are out there. So let's see the creativity of the group.
 :icefish:
                                                                                                                                                                  I have had one for a few years,My bucket side bottom cracked also.My friend got one last year and his did not have the bucket hoders on his,so I guess they addressed this problem.I took some cheap thin luan plywood and painted it.I cut it to fit.This was a MAJOR improvement as seats sat flat,beer or coffee'setc could stay upright,I was not searching for things in the cracks or jigs stuck in carpet.We'll you get the idea.It folded up with no problems and added no noticable weight.Another thing I did was use the end of bungee cords hooks for hangers in the corners.A little buddy heater fits perfectly between the fishing doors.Hope this helps some. ;)2

Offline Steellord2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Dec 07, 2009, 08:34 PM »
                                                                                                                                                                  I have had one for a few years,My bucket side bottom cracked also.My friend got one last year and his did not have the bucket hoders on his,so I guess they addressed this problem.I took some cheap thin luan plywood and painted it.I cut it to fit.This was a MAJOR improvement as seats sat flat,beer or coffee'setc could stay upright,I was not searching for things in the cracks or jigs stuck in carpet.We'll you get the idea.It folded up with no problems and added no noticable weight.Another thing I did was use the end of bungee cords hooks for hangers in the corners.A little buddy heater fits perfectly between the fishing doors.Hope this helps some. ;)2

I had this idea after looking at the shanty the first day I had it set up. I figured I would use it as is this season but next spring I was going to cut some luan to fit the floor and get some better carpet. I also am going to make some poles to put between the side poles to brace the front and back and to have a place to put the ground blind wall shelf I bought from ameristep to place my stuff on.

Steellord
Maille Artisan
ICQ# 24735418
~~~~~~~~~~~~
Use in that order!

Offline Penguin

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice fishermen walk on water!
« Reply #15 on: Dec 25, 2009, 05:53 PM »
I have a Shappell 3000DX. I built a sled something like the ones above, with lightweight metal angle siderails a friend gave me. Works great. I also had to add a length of canvas to the doorflaps to give a little more protection from snow blowing in the bottom.

Offline davef

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Dec 28, 2009, 12:09 PM »
I also use a shappell 3000dx. For some reason mine does not have the door flaps sealed at the tub on the bottom. Someone from this site gave me instructions on how to use metal snaps I got at walmart to seal the bottom of the door. It was simple to do and solves snow blowing in from the side. I just leave them snapped all the time and there is enough room to enter just using the door zipper

I also used skis and 1 inch aluminum tubing to make a sled to get the shanty up off the ground when pulling.

I also made a 2 piece pole that slips together and fits between the tubing on the side where the holes are to keep the wind from blowing the hole doors down over a rod and breaking them. I use a 1 inch (?) fitting cut in half to slip around the shanty poles so it would hold and just slide it down to the correct height.

Also drilled holes in each of the 4 floor corners so I could attach ice anchors from the inside if I wanted to.

The fellow who had told me about the snaps really had some nice photos and showed several other things to do to a shappell. It was about 4 years ago and perhaps a search would turn up something additional?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.