Author Topic: Beaver Lake  (Read 1999 times)

Offline shadfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
Beaver Lake
« on: Nov 16, 2009, 09:37 AM »
I took a ride there yesterday and the only access that I could see said no parking. My question is are there any spots to park so I could give it a shot this winter. Also is the lake clean enough to eat the fish (perch). I don't like to eat the fish out of Cobbetts because it seems to have a bacteria problem every summer.

I also took a ride to the tackle shop at the rotary (forgot the name). They didn't have anything out yet.

Offline Thumber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Sunset on Merrymeeting Lake 3/18/09
Re: Beaver Lake
« Reply #1 on: Nov 16, 2009, 09:52 AM »
I took a ride there yesterday and the only access that I could see said no parking. My question is are there any spots to park so I could give it a shot this winter. Also is the lake clean enough to eat the fish (perch). I don't like to eat the fish out of Cobbetts because it seems to have a bacteria problem every summer.

I also took a ride to the tackle shop at the rotary (forgot the name). They didn't have anything out yet.
Very clean lake, you can get on at the F&G boat ramp located on Rte. 102 than right onto Water St. there are signs for boat ramp, also most of the time the Beach area next to the ramp is plowed by the town which you can get to from Rte.102 to Pond Rd.
Hosted New England Outdoors New Hampshire Fishing Show 1989 to 1994.

Offline shadfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Nov 16, 2009, 09:54 AM »
Very clean lake, you can get on at the F&G boat ramp located on Rte. 102 than right onto Water St. there are signs for boat ramp, also most of the time the Beach area next to the ramp is plowed by the town which you can get to from Rte.102 to Pond Rd.

The gate was closed

Offline geo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Nov 16, 2009, 10:39 AM »
You can park in a little turn around on beaver lake road nd walk by the dam station onto the ice. there is usually no parking there however. if i were you i would avoid beaver lake. it gets POUNDED every year

Offline Thumber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Nov 16, 2009, 11:15 AM »
The gate was closed

which gate???

It does get hit hard your best bet is first two week of first ice, if your lucky enough to go during the week your all set

Offline shadfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Nov 16, 2009, 11:39 AM »
which gate???

It does get hit hard your best bet is first two week of first ice, if your lucky enough to go during the week your all set

The gate on pond street

I'm off on Mondays which is good for all the fishing that I do.

Offline DasRottweiler

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • RIP- DR`s AwesomeAustin 9/10/09
« Reply #6 on: Nov 16, 2009, 11:53 AM »
The place is too busy for me. Anyplace that only allows you to drive yer boat in one direction is for the cityfolk. Seriously , you can only circle the pond in one direction in open water season! Was once the most polluted lake in NH. Everyone of those 4 deep houses used to pump thier septic directly into the water! Guy I used to drive equipment for got the contract to run town septic around the pond in the late 70s , I believe. Up til then, was the brown trout capital of NH. Since the introduction of the ramp, which is a nice one, the pond has recieved excessive pressure. Lotsa dinks. Lotsa lil fish too! I wouldn`t fish it if I lived on it. Fish Canobie or Big Island Pond. Lots more water and structure, and a more diverse fish population . Bigger fish 2!

Offline draz

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • KEEP THOSE LINES TIGHT
« Reply #7 on: Nov 16, 2009, 12:22 PM »
Great lake to kill a day or bring a kid on the ice.  The town will not open the gates until they feel it is safe enough ice.  I called last year
and that is what they told me.  Only problem with the boat ramp is that someone plows right down to the ramp. Kind of a hassle if you
have a quad or sled. I fish there a lot with my 3 kids to get them interested. Das is right nothing to big coming out though but still fun.

Offline Thumber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Nov 16, 2009, 12:44 PM »
The place is too busy for me. Anyplace that only allows you to drive yer boat in one direction is for the cityfolk. Seriously , you can only circle the pond in one direction in open water season! Was once the most polluted lake in NH. Everyone of those 4 deep houses used to pump thier septic directly into the water! Guy I used to drive equipment for got the contract to run town septic around the pond in the late 70s , I believe. Up til then, was the brown trout capital of NH. Since the introduction of the ramp, which is a nice one, the pond has recieved excessive pressure. Lotsa dinks. Lotsa lil fish too! I wouldn`t fish it if I lived on it. Fish Canobie or Big Island Pond. Lots more water and structure, and a more diverse fish population . Bigger fish 2!

DAS
The one direction is for water sking only.
Beaver Lake - Derry

SAF-C 402.04 - (a) No person shall operate a motorboat at a speed exceeding 10 MPH on Beaver Lake in Derry. However, this restriction shall not apply between 1:00 p.m. and 7:00 p.m. Mondays through Fridays inclusive, holidays excepted, and during unrestricted hours, no boat shall exceed 30 MPH at any time on this body of water.
(b) All water skiing on Beaver Lake shall be in a counterclockwise direction at all times.
RSA 270:74-a - Skicraft banned 10/07/99.

Offline shadfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Nov 16, 2009, 01:36 PM »

Thanks for the info. I've ice fished Big Island once and had some luck with perch. I think it was off of hemlock heights. Is there any access that wouldn't be a problem?

Offline DasRottweiler

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • RIP- DR`s AwesomeAustin 9/10/09
« Reply #10 on: Nov 16, 2009, 01:49 PM »
BIP has multiple access, you might be better off asking Thumbar exactly where to get on. I plan on fishing it this winter as well, and have been meaning to call the boat ramp guy to see if the lake can be accessed there. Ya gutta buy a key for the ramp in the openwater season , and hopefully ya can drag yer gear on there.

Offline jibbs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • C:\Documents and Settings\jgirard\My Documents\My
« Reply #11 on: Nov 16, 2009, 07:31 PM »
i tried beaver a few times and the place is a bust.....fished a ice tournament there once and ended up with only a few bass.....as for big island pond.......nice place to ice fish, but can be hard to park.....knew a kid that lived there, so we parked at his house......had a ton of action though.....
when chuck norris played golf for money, chuck marked down a hole in zero every time, the golf pro said, "chuck: you can't score zero on a hole." Chuck norris turned towards the man and said, "I'm chuck norris, the man proceeded to pour gas over his body and set himself on fire because that would be less painful than getting roundhouse kicked by chuck norris....chuck norris roundhouse kicked him in the face anyways

Offline salmon stalker

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Nov 17, 2009, 02:50 PM »
BIP is great fishery from bass to trout. For trout fishing it's great action, not the biggest in size but you can easily catch 15+ fish a day in the right spots.

Winter time parking can be hard and access to the lake hard. I believe the fisherman access closes in the winter and not allowed to use it (I might be wrong but I remember that for some reason)

One suggestion if I may....if you want bass, pickeral and perch go to Millville Lake in Salem NH. Easy access from town beach part off Millville Circle. Bass are 5+ lbs all day long and you will catch so many you get bored. My G-Parents live on the lake and I take my kids for gauranteed action and to give them a work-out.

Good luck!
The outdoors, a real mans playground!!!

Offline Thumber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Nov 17, 2009, 03:04 PM »
BIP is great fishery from bass to trout. For trout fishing it's great action, not the biggest in size but you can easily catch 15+ fish a day in the right spots.

Winter time parking can be hard and access to the lake hard. I believe the fisherman access closes in the winter and not allowed to use it (I might be wrong but I remember that for some reason)
Good luck!

The gate is plowed in during the winter months and there is no parking on the front in that area, secondly there's a current which makes for some unsafe ice conditions.The key keeper Herb does not recommend getting onto the ice at that location.

Offline jibbs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • C:\Documents and Settings\jgirard\My Documents\My
« Reply #14 on: Nov 17, 2009, 05:25 PM »

One suggestion if I may....if you want bass, pickeral and perch go to Millville Lake in Salem NH. Easy access from town beach part off Millville Circle. Bass are 5+ lbs all day long and you will catch so many you get bored. My G-Parents live on the lake and I take my kids for gauranteed action and to give them a work-out.

Good luck!
millville ehhhh!.........how's the parking and access......you know how i love 5 pound bass......lol
when chuck norris played golf for money, chuck marked down a hole in zero every time, the golf pro said, "chuck: you can't score zero on a hole." Chuck norris turned towards the man and said, "I'm chuck norris, the man proceeded to pour gas over his body and set himself on fire because that would be less painful than getting roundhouse kicked by chuck norris....chuck norris roundhouse kicked him in the face anyways

Offline shadfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Nov 17, 2009, 08:44 PM »

Good luck!

I grew up fishing millville lake and plan on doing some ice fishing there this year. I remember as a kid there were so many redfin or golden shiners. Maybe we can hook up and fish there this winter. Would you eat the perch out of there?

Offline salmon stalker

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Nov 18, 2009, 09:36 AM »
Jibbs, PM me and I can give you specifics where to go. Again I grew up here, my Grandparents live on the lake now. It's a man made lake that they made off Spickett river. The deepest part is infront of the damn about 19 ft, it averages about 10ft deep. very dark red tea stained water. Northern end is faster moving water with some weeds beds, middle of the lake has some island, big weed beds and drop offs. Southern end has all stumps sticking out and is 2-5ft deep, some weed beds mixed in.

I got my PB large mouth from here just under 9lbs when I was 14. I got my pic in the Eagle tribune with it and of course back then just thought it was a big fish, now I realize how big a deal it really was. Oh how we learn....

Shadfish, anytime you want to fish here let me know. I live 3 miles down the road and have plenty of access points for us to use. Would I eat fish from here.....put it this way. I fish here in the summer for my catfish....i have big catfish fries each year. YES all day long I would eat fish from here. There are some big cats too.....3-5lbs is not uncommon in here. For NH those are big ones in my book and perfect eating size.
The outdoors, a real mans playground!!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.