Author Topic: why cant we ice fish trout ponds ?  (Read 1666 times)

Offline nhpikeking

• Team IceShanty Addict
why cant we ice fish trout ponds ?
« on: Nov 01, 2009, 12:05 PM »
its not like there breeding it just doesnt make sense seems like an old rule they never changed, id love to ice fish spofford for pike rainbows white perch and crappie that lake has it all or sand pond and millen over this way for big browns idk seems like we should be able to what do you think ?

catch pike like its my job

Offline Thumber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Sunset on Merrymeeting Lake 3/18/09
Re: why cant we ice fish trout ponds ?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 01, 2009, 12:46 PM »
its not like there breeding it just doesnt make sense seems like an old rule they never changed, id love to ice fish spofford for pike rainbows white perch and crappie that lake has it all or sand pond and millen over this way for big browns idk seems like we should be able to what do you think ?

There are over 70 ponds and lakes that are managed for trout that are open for trout fishing year round including ice fishing.

Your designated trout ponds and fly-fishing-only ponds are manage for trout fishing from April 25 to Oct.15

"These trout ponds are often the best waters in a given area for a variety of reasons," said New Hampshire Fish and Game Department Fisheries Biologist Don Miller. "Excellent habitat, low species competition and the fact that these ponds are closed to ice-fishing allow these waters to be managed for the trout fishing enthusiast."  Ponds managed for trout may be stocked with one or more species, including brook, rainbow and/or brown trout, with age classes ranging from "yearlings" (8-12 inches), 2-year olds (12-15 inches), and 3+ year olds (measured in lbs.!).  
Hope this helps answering your question.....Thumber
Hosted New England Outdoors New Hampshire Fishing Show 1989 to 1994.

Offline CJiceaddict

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Nov 02, 2009, 02:30 PM »
nhpikeking, I have wondered for years why Spofford can't be icefished. I understand these ponds are managed for trout, but I'm not sure what icefishing has to do with it. Take Laurel lake,  a great trout place in Fitwilliam that holds some huge trout. It is open year round for fishing. you can go there and if you are patient, you have a good shot at a decent sized brown and/or rainbow. The smaller trout ponds I don't usually fish after the 4th saturday in april because all the stocked trout are fished out! Maybe year round fishing wouldn't work for some smaller places but it does work well for many and there are some other places (spofford) that hold some great winter species and it's a shame we can't fish for them. Just my .02

Offline nhpikeking

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Nov 02, 2009, 04:30 PM »
nhpikeking, I have wondered for years why Spofford can't be icefished. I understand these ponds are managed for trout, but I'm not sure what icefishing has to do with it. Take Laurel lake,  a great trout place in Fitwilliam that holds some huge trout. It is open year round for fishing. you can go there and if you are patient, you have a good shot at a decent sized brown and/or rainbow. The smaller trout ponds I don't usually fish after the 4th saturday in april because all the stocked trout are fished out! Maybe year round fishing wouldn't work for some smaller places but it does work well for many and there are some other places (spofford) that hold some great winter species and it's a shame we can't fish for them. Just my .02

I fully agree i live right next to a little tiny trout pond and after that first weekend its a near miracle if you catch a trout, id love to ice fish spofford if it was open id spend most of my time on that lake theres no reason for a 700 acre lake to be closed to ice fisherman and ive also heard some very good things about laurel lake from a few ppl, is it possible to get a petition going to open up spofford ?

Offline CJiceaddict

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Nov 02, 2009, 04:49 PM »
There was one going around last year. I know the crowd that lives on spofford is a very high end crowd for the most part and I heard (though no proof) that most on the lake didn't want winter fishing on it. I signed it last year and I will certainly sign another cause I would love to icefish it, but I'm not sure it will ever happen. It would be very interesting to look into. I can't remember who did the petition last year, maybe if they are around on the site we will find out what (if anything) happened with it.

Offline Thumber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Nov 02, 2009, 04:50 PM »
What ever happen to the petition that was started last spring????

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=113102.msg1113980#msg1113980

Offline DasRottweiler

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • RIP- DR`s AwesomeAustin 9/10/09

Offline Thumber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Nov 02, 2009, 05:07 PM »
Maybe the NHIceMan can give a report on what happen to the last petitiom

Offline nhpikeking

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Nov 02, 2009, 05:59 PM »
i heard the same thing about the high end ppl on spofford its true i know they werent happy about me fishing around there docks lol dont get it some ppl just hate fisherman hunters and trappers but it would be amazing if we can get that lake opened up it has something for everyone big pike big trout and monster crappie and bluegills if it were open itd be ideal for a shanty get together lol

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.