Author Topic: Another good trip on Winnisquam.  (Read 771 times)

Offline cSpike

• Team IceShanty Addict
Another good trip on Winnisquam.
« on: Mar 22, 2009, 04:15 PM »
May be the last trip of the season. All in all a great day for Russ and I. Dana went fishless, which is odd for him. Dan had a bunch on but only landed a few. I had over 10 fish today with only three being decent sized, I lost three. Russ had 7 or 8 and lost three, with two very nice fish. Russ even submerged his arm down the hole trying to get one after it broke his line when it was placed on the ice and fell back in. All in all a bunch of smaller fish around with some decent ones but the majority were on the small size (under 20"). We bolted around 1:30 as the fish on the camera were not feeding at that time but just cruising by. Nice to get home early.

Spike
Traps? Who needs traps? I have a jig rod and a Vexilar!
gallery

Offline Thumber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Sunset on Merrymeeting Lake 3/18/09
Re: Another good trip on Winnisquam.
« Reply #1 on: Mar 22, 2009, 04:48 PM »
How was the ice Capt?
Hosted New England Outdoors New Hampshire Fishing Show 1989 to 1994.

Offline wshnIwsfshn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Mar 22, 2009, 05:00 PM »
What kind of fish you fishing for and how ? went to winni today at gilford beach in about 20 fow and caught only 1 salmon had camera on bottom with cut sucker on a tipup  and nothing i want a lake trout want to go back next weekend for last shot could you help me out tell me what im doing wrong and there was 16 inch of ice still

Offline SmellsLikeFishNH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Mar 22, 2009, 05:40 PM »
Well there are lots of things you could try to catch a laker, but I think the first thing you may want to try is find water a little deeper. All of my luck this season was in around 40 fow.

A tip up with cut sucker hasnt been a good setup for me, You can try putting a smelt on a tipup and see how you do with that, but I suggest getting a jig on a rod and jigg on the bottom trying to coax a laker in and hitting that. Bounce it up on down on the bottom and get a little of the dirt to fluff up on the bottom and that has worked for me all season getting them in.

Good luck!

Offline cSpike

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Mar 23, 2009, 05:28 AM »
How was the ice Capt?

Ice is getting soft on top. About a 50-50 mix of good and bad, if you have 12" of ice 6 is bad and 6 is good. Remember it isn't how much ice you have but how good it is as Thumber asked. It can change drastically too. Weather dependent it should hold another week. Our access point has a brook near by and some open water around docks. If those two meet we will have to get on elsewhere. Lots of dark ice out there. Still plenty of sleds and atv's running around. Just be careful where you go if you choose that means of transportation.

Spike
Traps? Who needs traps? I have a jig rod and a Vexilar!
gallery

Offline Thumber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Sunset on Merrymeeting Lake 3/18/09
« Reply #5 on: Mar 23, 2009, 05:40 AM »
Thanks Capt. for the info.
Hosted New England Outdoors New Hampshire Fishing Show 1989 to 1994.

Offline olrustyboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • sorry to leave
« Reply #6 on: Mar 23, 2009, 06:04 AM »
Hey Capt. you forgot to mention the nice cusk you landed.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.