Author Topic: laurel lake ice safety  (Read 629 times)

Offline DadandSon

• IceShanty Rookie
laurel lake ice safety
« on: Mar 20, 2009, 08:24 AM »
Anybody know how the ice is on Laurel.  Thinking about taking my son out one more time.  Problem may be if there is open water on the shoreline.

Thanks
Dadand Son

Offline CJiceaddict

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: laurel lake ice safety
« Reply #1 on: Mar 20, 2009, 02:52 PM »
I grew up in the area and fished Laurel quite a bit- I don't live there anymore but Laurel would be about my last choice for late season ice- The boat launch has bubblers over by the girls camp and there are definately a couple of sketchy spots on there even when it is cold- Maybe someone can give you up to date ice conditions but my guess is it's probably done there

CJ

Offline Natty

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Only fish on days that end in y
« Reply #2 on: Mar 20, 2009, 04:11 PM »
Just talked to my brother......He said the ice didn't look good there ...  He's coming up here this weekend.
I've done so much with so little for so long i can now do the impossible with nothing.

Offline CJiceaddict

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Mar 20, 2009, 04:36 PM »
Thanks CJ.  There was about 13 inches last weekend in the area I fish.  We were fishing in just a few feet of water but this warm week may have knocked that 13 inches down quite a bit and the shoreline was mostly open so we might not even be able to get on the ice.  Just for future reference because we like the lake where are the sketchy spots. 

How did you catch the trout after ice out?  I only have a canoe and know trolling motor.

Thanks
DadandSon
Across from the launch there are big boulders- gets sketchy real quick. Powerbait on the bottom right off the launch is how a lot of trout are caught. Also trolling flies and later on spinners all over the lake. There is a sunken island down on the far end that produces some nice fish. Silver lake in harrisville might have some good late season ice- only 2 tackles but both rainbows and lakers, with occasional whopper smallmouth-
Good luck

CJ

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.