Author Topic: Spud ? Please  (Read 3345 times)

Offline icecrappie

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • No ICE No FISH No Fish No Fun
Spud ? Please
« on: Dec 31, 2012, 04:44 PM »
I might sound funny but last year I made a spud and didn't have to use it so my question is when you use it do you knock holes in front of where your going to walk or on the sides?  Just wanting to stay safe and didn't want to sound dumb thanks guys

onice2013

Re: Spud ? Please
« Reply #1 on: Dec 31, 2012, 04:46 PM »
dude,what are you asking again, please be more specific ???

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #2 on: Dec 31, 2012, 04:46 PM »
  Both, especially where you are going to walk!!

Offline Fergie2u

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #3 on: Dec 31, 2012, 04:48 PM »
Well i normally will do both but since I'm a righty, it  normally lands on that side.

Offline blufloyd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #4 on: Dec 31, 2012, 04:55 PM »
Mine is 5 feet of 3/4 rebar with chisel point. I slam it in front of me once if it goes through we are done.   If it doesn't I drill hole if over 4 inches I figure I am good.
I fish better with a lit cigar; some people fish better with talent. ~Nick Lyons, Bright Rivers, 1977

onice2013

« Reply #5 on: Dec 31, 2012, 04:58 PM »
Mine is 5 feet of 3/4 rebar with chisel point. I slam it in front of me once if it goes through we are done.   If it doesn't I drill hole if over 4 inches I figure I am good.
[/quote agree, just don't drink and spud ::)]

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Right out of my ice hole!
« Reply #6 on: Dec 31, 2012, 05:19 PM »
I spud in the direction I am moving.  After doing it for years you learn the 'sound' of good ice.  Impossible to describe.  If I go thru in 2 hits, I don't proceed and don't weigh much.  With the crap ice we are making this year, I will spud everywhere until we get 5".  I was on the ice today fishing and less than 5 ft away from where another guy was fishing the spud went right thru in one very light hit.  The area had snow on it.  Anyone that would have walked there was going to go in no matter how light.  The wind and snow are not letting places freeze evenly, so you are better off spudding where ever you travel.

Offline chillinNgillin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 31, 2012, 05:21 PM »
Out in front of you jab the same spot a 2 or 3 times if the the ice is hard and chips off and the spud doesn't go through ya should be good to go.

Offline bret

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • approaching "Grumpy Old Man" age
« Reply #8 on: Dec 31, 2012, 05:25 PM »
I might sound funny but last year I made a spud and didn't have to use it so my question is when you use it do you knock holes in front of where your going to walk or on the sides?  Just wanting to stay safe and didn't want to sound dumb thanks guys

I walk/use it as if it were a walking stick except I'm hitting the ice with it as I walk.  I hit the ice with the same force each time.  I'm not "baby tapping" it nor am I slamming it as hard as I can.  I'm testing and feeling the ice as I go with each hit.  I know how thick or strong the ice is from the experience of using my spud.  For example: 2 hits with my spud....if i don't see water I'm good to proceed....it's about 3 inches thick.  If I hit water with 2 hits I will proceed with caution...it's less than 3 inches thick.  If I go thru with 1 hit....it's a "no go".  Hope this helps.
Never Judge A Day By The Weather.
YouTube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCloEWXfcjMRYo9J6qOLtggQ

Offline icecrappie

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • No ICE No FISH No Fish No Fun
« Reply #9 on: Dec 31, 2012, 05:54 PM »
Thanks guys it helps a lot

Offline ole green moe

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Offical Member of Fisherman Against Penguins
« Reply #10 on: Dec 31, 2012, 06:01 PM »
A very good question for all to read... I have found that it is a feel thing... All spud bars are not created equal...  Use one for a while and you will get used to the feel and sound of what is safe and what isn't... Hope everyone is being safe out there and make sure you always spud on early and late ice...
Northern Indiana---Where men are men, and Penguins run scared!!!!

Offline Fish_Tko

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Dec 31, 2012, 06:37 PM »
I walk/use it as if it were a walking stick except I'm hitting the ice with it as I walk.  I hit the ice with the same force each time.  I'm not "baby tapping" it nor am I slamming it as hard as I can.  I'm testing and feeling the ice as I go with each hit.  I know how thick or strong the ice is from the experience of using my spud.  For example: 2 hits with my spud....if i don't see water I'm good to proceed....it's about 3 inches thick.  If I hit water with 2 hits I will proceed with caution...it's less than 3 inches thick.  If I go thru with 1 hit....it's a "no go".  Hope this helps.

Thats about my recipe too. And I am 255.
There is only one theory about angling in which I have perfect confidence, and this is that the two words, least appropriate to any statement, about it, are the words "always" and "never."

Offline walleyepac

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • its what u learn after u kno it all is what counts
« Reply #12 on: Jan 01, 2013, 06:10 AM »
dude,what are you asking again, please be more specific ???
. DUDE, pay attention to the question, this post ended up being very  informative, thanks to IN. I.S!

Offline rico

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Happiness is a safe piece of ice.
« Reply #13 on: Jan 01, 2013, 06:24 AM »
. DUDE, pay attention to the question, this post ended up being very  informative, thanks to IN. I.S!

I agree.  Very informative post.

I really liked what Bret describing and would advise anyone that isnt familiar with a spud to heed what he said in his post.

Offline tater140

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jan 01, 2013, 06:27 AM »
All good information.  I just made a spud last year but had never used much until this year when ive been checking the ice.  I cant say i have any real method down yet, but it does make it more comfortable taking a step here or there. 

onice2013

« Reply #15 on: Jan 01, 2013, 07:17 AM »
I agree it is very important topic, wasn't sure the question and wasn't making fun or being sarcastic. btw, I would not recommend anyone to walk on ice that  can be penetrated with just a couple of thrusts ,, even five or six thrusts with a hand spud of any kind. That is coming from my own experience. I would never risk 2 or even 3 inches of ice ..no offense. enjoy and happy new year to all   

Offline Ice_Fly

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Jan 01, 2013, 11:57 AM »
I don't weigh much so I give it a good hard crack pretty much every step. When I jab, I use the corner so I get some good penertration. If I see water, I'll check exact thickness. I only weigh 145lbs, but still want a good 2" of hard clear ice. I've seen some pretty big guys on 2", but I would by no means consider that, or any thickness ice 100% safe. No such thing really.

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Jan 01, 2013, 12:30 PM »
I agree it is very important topic, wasn't sure the question and wasn't making fun or being sarcastic. btw, I would not recommend anyone to walk on ice that  can be penetrated with just a couple of thrusts ,, even five or six thrusts with a hand spud of any kind. That is coming from my own experience. I would never risk 2 or even 3 inches of ice ..no offense. enjoy and happy new year to all

Huh???  Five or six thrusts?  I can cut 5-6 inches of ice with my spud if I hit the same spot 5-6 times.  You can drive a quad and snowmobile on 5-6 inches.  I am pretty sure that will hold most humans.   ::)

Offline top jimmy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Jan 01, 2013, 12:40 PM »
I usually go fishing with buddies that out weigh me by 60lbs or more. if the ice holds them it will hold me. Lol   ;D but seriously carry a pointed heavy spud strike the ahead of and to both sides  take it slow 

Offline Fergie2u

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #19 on: Jan 02, 2013, 11:38 AM »
Huh???  Five or six thrusts?  I can cut 5-6 inches of ice with my spud if I hit the same spot 5-6 times.  You can drive a quad and snowmobile on 5-6 inches.  I am pretty sure that will hold most humans.   ::)

I agree with wax  and bret here are a few pics of the business end of my spud bar.

With my bar its a 1 hit and draws water its 2.5 inches or less
with 2 hits its at least 3.5 to 4 inches.
I also pay attention to the sound it makes
and pay attention to the chips ( if chunks are flying that's great if the bar sticks with NO chips then its JUNK!!!)

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Jan 02, 2013, 12:02 PM »
Thats not a spud bar, thats a weapon!!!   :P :roflmao: :afro:

Offline Fergie2u

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #21 on: Jan 02, 2013, 12:10 PM »
yep It sure is! ;) gotta be able to chase them trollers off. LOL ::)

Offline graham

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Jan 02, 2013, 12:16 PM »
yep It sure is! ;) gotta be able to chase them trollers off. LOL ::)

This wimpy little Frabill spud I bought doesn't have a chance against em!  LMAO

Offline Fergie2u

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #23 on: Jan 02, 2013, 12:27 PM »
LOL graham ;) this one is hand made by me and a little help from a machine or two.  ;D

onice2013

« Reply #24 on: Jan 02, 2013, 02:44 PM »
I just informed homeland security about the dangerous spud and the photo is clearly enough evidence to convict all who participated in these ramifications :P just kidding, just be be safe  ;D

Offline Fergie2u

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #25 on: Jan 02, 2013, 11:44 PM »
I just informed homeland security about the dangerous spud and the photo is clearly enough evidence to convict all who participated in these ramifications :P just kidding, just be be safe  ;D

Man thats some funny stuff there!!!

onice2013

« Reply #26 on: Jan 03, 2013, 08:34 AM »
Good luck Fergie out there, should be plenty of safe ice to spud, I'm modifying my kenai clam with my old retired k2 610 skis today.. my old spud is already sharpened and all my auger blades too. Yes when in doubt, the spud is the best tool to test ice.  gl everybody and enjoy our Great American outdoors ;D

Offline PoleCat

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • IceFsh'nNut
« Reply #27 on: Jan 03, 2013, 09:49 AM »
I would suggest a sweeping {side to side} but always in front of you brother. Cover as much ice in front of you as possible.
HoosierPoleCat member since 2003

The high price of Freedom is a cost paid by a Brave few... Semper Fi

Offline Jigmup

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Jan 03, 2013, 09:58 AM »
I smack it in a rhythm as I'm walking....cachunk, step step, chachunk, step step..and so on. That is when I remeber. I've had IceDogg tell me "use that dang thing don't just carry it"!
Never tell a fish where its supposed to be

Offline Weskimo1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Jan 03, 2013, 12:31 PM »
Outstanding conversation fellas. This is an excellent post for hardwater junkies new and old.  Thanks for all the great share of info...be safe!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.