Author Topic: Looking for the cheapest decent tip up line  (Read 12803 times)

Offline RickWakeman

• Team IceShanty Addict
Looking for the cheapest decent tip up line
« on: Dec 03, 2009, 06:21 PM »
I am thinking of grabbing some new tips but I would like to find some cheap line first. I bought some "Dacron" coated line last year and it was like plastic. Really crappy stuff. The line that came with the tip ups I have now (HT Fisherman I believe) I like. It is almost like thick thread. Where can I get some line like that on the cheap? Ideally I would like to only pay $2-3 for line per tip up if that is even possible. Thanks.

Offline Tainterslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Looking for the cheapest decent tip up line
« Reply #1 on: Dec 03, 2009, 08:11 PM »
You will have to check out your local sporting goods store. With shipping costs I doubt you'll be able to get something that cheap online.. I use vinyl coated tip up line. I think I got 3 tip ups worth for like $9??

Offline pikeking

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2 on: Dec 03, 2009, 10:54 PM »
Buy a large spool of green dot dacron. If is one of the best lines for ice fishing. Don't buy the coated stuff. I use it on all of my tip-ups.
If fishing was work I'd never be sick!

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
 T-7 Custom Rods   OFFICIAL B.BREAKER OF NYRC      i volunteer because your life depends on it! 343

Offline beeverfishing

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 04, 2009, 03:28 PM »

Offline RickWakeman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Dec 04, 2009, 09:10 PM »
Is it the coating that kills it? I dont have much to compare just the stuff that came on my tips and the line that I bought. The line I bought is terrible to deal with and the stuff on the tips is fine.

Offline Curley

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #8 on: Dec 08, 2009, 08:42 PM »
Any bait shop should be able to spool you up with fly line backing. Same thing, Dacron and the bright colors are easy to see in the hole and on the ice. really cool on clear black ice too. :tipup:

Offline jacksmelt71

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Dec 14, 2009, 10:48 AM »
i use a heat treated dacron that comes in 75 or 150yrd spools. the heat treatment keeps the line from absorbing as much water as untreated dacron. its a maine company that sells it. its like $3.50 a spool.  great stuff and lasts forever. i have a heritage that still has the original line i put in it 20yrs. ago. i dont remember the name of it. if i do ill post it.

Offline hoboherbs77

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Dec 18, 2009, 02:38 PM »
i believe  berkely stopped makeing it but I picked up some spools of the "Iron Silk" dirt  cheap and found it to work well on my tip ups

Offline mealworm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • summer sucks
« Reply #11 on: Dec 19, 2009, 09:35 AM »
fish307 has some awesome dacron line

Offline RickWakeman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Dec 23, 2009, 10:37 PM »
I ended up ordering 5 cheapo HT Tipups and 5 rolls of HT Dacron braid from fishusa. Line seems fine, wayyyyy better than the coated stuff.

Offline xcr440

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Dec 24, 2009, 09:01 AM »
coated stuff has way too much memory

Offline WYIfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fishing a sport, or just reason to buy stuff?
« Reply #14 on: Jan 05, 2010, 12:13 AM »
coated stuff has way too much memory
I just Sunday got tired of the coated stuff, memory sucks.
I use the braided dacron flyline backing, costs about four cents a foot.  Comes in a couple colors including bright green.  I add about 12 feet of black dacron as an indicator to when the fish is closer to the hole and for visability for me and the fish, then my mono leaders.  Works much better than the vinyl stuff and is cheap.  Oh, about 20 pound test.

Fly tackle shops have it.  I find sick humor putting fly line backing on low tech tip ups, what would Emerson think of that?
Thread killer

Offline WANNAKETCHUM

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Where da fish at???
« Reply #15 on: Jan 05, 2010, 02:00 AM »
I just Sunday got tired of the coated stuff, memory sucks.
I use the braided dacron flyline backing, costs about four cents a foot.

Well...it's about time I spill the beans to help out. Go to goodwinds.com....they sell kite line. It's the same braided dacron line that the ice fishing line and fly line backing folks sell us at frikken' OUTRAGEOUS prices but much,much cheaper!!!! Last year (Xmas '08) my kids bought me a set of 5 polartherm tip-ups and they had the 500 ft. spools. I thought....this is gonna cost me a small fortune to fill these spools so I got to snooping on-line. I found the site I mentioned earlier and I will NEVER have to buy those little 100-200' spools of so called "tip-up" line again! These folks sell the same stuff..(yes it's the same...braided dacron is braided dacron) and it comes wax coated (lightly waxed like dental floss) for a fraction of what the "tip-up" line costs. If you buy the flyline backing that WYIfish suggests @.04/ft.... 1000ft. would cost you $40.00!!!!!!...I bought 1000ft. spools of 30lb. test for $7.39 ea.....I bought eight 1000ft. spools, and I have all the tip-up line I'll ever need for under $70.00. It comes in either white or black. The white is a little cheaper because they don't have to dye it and it's priced per spool or buy 6 or more cheaper or 12 or more cheaper yet!!!! You can get it from 20lb. test to 250lb. test, and you can buy 500 or 1000ft. spools....I filled all the new Polars up with it and I have a lot left. The wax coating works great! It doesn't let the line absorb water and it winds back onto the spool at the end of the day very easily. I hope this info. was some help to you and any other Shanty brethren...WK

Give your son a fish, and he will eat for a day.....teach your son to fish and eventually he'll end up kicking your @ss every time you fish together!!!

Offline WYIfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fishing a sport, or just reason to buy stuff?
« Reply #16 on: Jan 05, 2010, 10:13 AM »
Dear List, Wannaketchum'
I am really impressed with Wannaketchum's suggestion!  After a minute with google (our friend), searching kite line, I want to own a kite just because winding up  the line can remind me of winding up tip up lines!
A great suggestion to seriously be considered by all us poor tip up fishermen. Again too, as long as we use a monofiliment leader of a few feet, it doesn't matter what color of line we use.

New meaning to "go fly a kite".

Thanks for a great tip.

Now do I need the 300 pound test for my fish?  Just kidding, I see it in 20 and 30 pound test as well.

Tight kite lines, :clap:
Thread killer

Offline WANNAKETCHUM

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Where da fish at???
« Reply #17 on: Jan 05, 2010, 12:19 PM »
Hey Guys...let's keep this a secret amongst us Ice fishermen. Don't tell those kite people what we're using it for or they'll jack their prices up!... ;D ;D...Seriously though, I don't think any of you will be disappointed with this line it's great stuff at VERY affordable prices. Tightlines Brothers...WK

Give your son a fish, and he will eat for a day.....teach your son to fish and eventually he'll end up kicking your @ss every time you fish together!!!

Offline wnystxguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Feb 09, 2010, 11:35 AM »
would spider wire work for tipups?

Offline redruff

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Feb 09, 2010, 09:02 PM »
I use Berkley Gorilla Tough braided dacron and really like it.

Offline redruff

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Feb 09, 2010, 09:05 PM »
Hey Guys...let's keep this a secret amongst us Ice fishermen. Don't tell those kite people what we're using it for or they'll jack their prices up!... ;D ;D...Seriously though, I don't think any of you will be disappointed with this line it's great stuff at VERY affordable prices. Tightlines Brothers...WK

(Image removed from quote.)  (Image removed from quote.)

Went to the website..did I read that right!!! 1000 feet of 30# test for $7.99

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #21 on: Feb 20, 2010, 12:03 PM »
Went to the website..did I read that right!!! 1000 feet of 30# test for $7.99

1000 ft is what 333 yrds? Not a fantastic discount but still decent. 300 yds for $10 here http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/western-filament-dacron-line.aspx?a=329021
EYECONICFISHING

Offline WANNAKETCHUM

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Where da fish at???
« Reply #22 on: Feb 23, 2010, 03:14 AM »
1000 ft is what 333 yrds? Not a fantastic discount but still decent. 300 yds for $10 here http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/western-filament-dacron-line.aspx?a=329021

Well...I haven't actually unrolled one and measured it, but the spools I bought from Goodwinds Kites say right on the spool "1000 ft." So if 1000 ft. = 333 yds. Would you rather pay $7.99 for that, or would you rather pay $10.00 for 300 yds.???....
DUUUUUHHHHH!!!!!......I would rather pay more for less....NOT!!!!!!!! Hey I don't care what you guys buy....I found a good buy on some GREAT line...if you can find a better deal post it here....that's what this thread is all about....LOOKING FOR THE CHEAPEST DECENT TIP-UP LINE......WK

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #23 on: Feb 24, 2010, 07:44 PM »
Just throwing another option out there is all. I like sportmansguide because of the 1-2 day shipping and I have the club discount.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline WANNAKETCHUM

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Where da fish at???
« Reply #24 on: Feb 25, 2010, 12:34 AM »
Just throwing another option out there is all. I like sportmansguide because of the 1-2 day shipping and I have the club discount.

Hey BBK....My humble apology for being a smart@$$!!! But I do use the line I posted about and it is really great stuff. If one of our brethren can find a better deal yet...I hope he shares it with us!! ;D. Nothing wrong with being a club member...I'm a Cabela's junkie myself...probably have about $40.00-$50.00 worth of points racked up from the past 10 months or so....WK

Offline Bout-Time

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Mar 04, 2010, 12:48 PM »
I used kite line back in the day, and it worked fine.

It seemed to be a larger diameter than I wanted and had more floatation, but it still worked. Im sure the kite line I used 20 years ago was different than the modern stuff is though.
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #26 on: Jun 09, 2010, 01:31 PM »
I use orange colored 30 lb fly line backing that I got off ebay at a great price   now I wouldnt go to anything else!    and when Im fishing Im prob the only one with that color  so the kids cant make a "mistake" and take my traps 

I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline jiml

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #27 on: Aug 26, 2010, 12:26 PM »
I am use 50 lb dacron trolling line on my tip up spools.  It is not technically an "ice fishing" line but I tried it and like it.  Dacron is no stretch so I use a 10 foot leader of 25 lb Mono to give some stretch when fighting any large Pike or Bass.  I swith to 10 feet of 8 lb floro when targeting trout.  Have tried many types of braided line but this is the best I have ever used......great at holding a knot and never had a breakoff.....also does not kink up too bad when frozen on the ice after landing a fish.  I found it in a red white and blue speckled color so when I look down the hole I can really see if the spool is turning when a fish is running. 
"Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves."
Ronald Reagan

Offline duck doctor

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Aug 26, 2010, 03:10 PM »
I use orange colored 30 lb fly line backing that I got off ebay at a great price   now I wouldnt go to anything else!    and when Im fishing Im prob the only one with that color  so the kids cant make a "mistake" and take my traps 

(Image removed from quote.)

I use 20# Hazzy so stay away from my traps!  Hazzy is right though, once you go to fly line backing, you will never go back.

Offline CentralCommand

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Aug 27, 2010, 02:42 AM »
Holy Cow! I am some what new to the whole ice fishing game and would have never though of using kite line for my tip ups!   I was just looking around on the net and it is so cheap in price.  Thanks a lot guys for this great info please keep it coming...

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.