The Ice Fishing MA is board

Author Topic: Lake champlain ATV requirements  (Read 1083 times)

Offline ZW

• IceShanty Rookie
Lake champlain ATV requirements
« on: Dec 04, 2018, 09:16 AM »
   I am hoping someone can answer a few questions for me, So I am going on a trip to Lake Champlain in Feb. and have been making the trip for years now.  My ATV is registered in Ma. and Vt. allows that as long as you are only on the ice fishing and not trail riding (I've been checked several times with no issues at all).  Now what if I want to fish on the NY side of the lake (Kings bay) I know my fishing license is reciprocal but what about ATV regs?  I would be covered if I did it in my boat but NY has some strict ATV laws....insurance, helmets, stiff tow hitches, no double riders etc.  and I don't want any problems.  I have emailed NY DEC and they told me to contact VT,  I contacted VT and they referred me to NY DMV, still waiting from a response from DMV and they are less than fun to deal with.  Any info would be greatly appreciated, thanks
Take a kid fishing!!!

Offline ZW

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Lake champlain ATV requirements
« Reply #1 on: Dec 04, 2018, 11:10 AM »
ah ha, thanks for clearing that up, ya I was kinda annoyed that they just brushed me off.  Rather than deal with that I think ill stick to the the VT side, plenty of good fishing to be had there!
Take a kid fishing!!!

Offline SalmonAndStriper Stalker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 04, 2018, 11:14 AM »
Thanks for this info as I plan on towing our ATV up there and needed to know out of state requirements

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #3 on: Dec 04, 2018, 11:21 AM »
Your registration is reciprocal in NY.  NY requires - registration, insurance, helmet, the machine has to be designed for two people (I believe they will let an ATV go if it has a seat for the second rider).  Towing - if you have a person on the tow, the hitch has to be rigid. You can use a peice of PVC pipe and thread the tow rope through it, otherwise a towrope is fine.  There is a lot more detail on these and other rules/regulations

NY ATV Rules

Offline pmaloney86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Dec 05, 2018, 03:06 PM »
Your registration is reciprocal in NY.  NY requires - registration, insurance, helmet, the machine has to be designed for two people (I believe they will let an ATV go if it has a seat for the second rider).  Towing - if you have a person on the tow, the hitch has to be rigid. You can use a peice of PVC pipe and thread the tow rope through it, otherwise a towrope is fine.  There is a lot more detail on these and other rules/regulations

NY ATV Rules

Is the same true for snowmobiles?
westernmas on the finder

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #5 on: Dec 05, 2018, 03:43 PM »
Snowmobiles in NY are quite different.  I have been away from them for a number of years so not sure of the regs.
You can check them out here.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.