The Ice Fishing MA is board

Author Topic: shinner traps sold out  (Read 1320 times)

Offline pikedaddy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FLAGGG!!!!
shinner traps sold out
« on: Jan 16, 2013, 06:07 PM »
Lookin to start trapping my own bait again...I checked 3 different stores and sold out lol.everyone must have the same ideas I'm sure with the price of bait these days.I used to make em outa 3 liter soda bottles so if they get stolen its no biggie but would like too look a lil more professional lol.I'm gonna start a 30 gallon tank as my main storage tank and keep em in my shed  with a tank heater just to keep it from freezing.I guess till I find a store that has em in stock I'm using my old bottle trick.
 ;)
Off to walk on water

Offline ctownfisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: shinner traps sold out
« Reply #1 on: Jan 16, 2013, 06:21 PM »
Pikedaddy send me a pm I have a couple you can borrow.  Not sure what type your looking for but, I have the two foot long round trap split in the middle with 1-1/2" holes on either end.

Ctown

Offline tomcatoak

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Safety meeting
« Reply #2 on: Jan 16, 2013, 07:45 PM »
not sure if its legal but it works way better than the round ones.  some call it a clover trap or a bream trap
http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38891

Offline pikedaddy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FLAGGG!!!!
« Reply #3 on: Jan 16, 2013, 07:56 PM »
not sure if its legal but it works way better than the round ones.  some call it a clover trap or a bream trap
http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38891
look good I'm not sure if those are legal for shiners I kno the inlet hole can't b an larger than a 1"or 1.5" ill have to check.
Off to walk on water

Offline FishingNewEngland

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fishing New England
« Reply #4 on: Jan 16, 2013, 08:06 PM »
look good I'm not sure if those are legal for shiners I kno the inlet hole can't b an larger than a 1"or 1.5" ill have to check.

Think I'll make one anyway.  :whistle: :whistle:

Offline pikedaddy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FLAGGG!!!!
« Reply #5 on: Jan 16, 2013, 08:10 PM »
Lol thinkin the same thing  ;D
Off to walk on water

Offline BogMan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 16, 2013, 08:17 PM »
PIkedaddy>> You might not need a heater as long as the water is moving around. Heaters get expensive to run. Have my bait tank in the garage and fish ponds outside without heaters and they don't freeze. Just have circulator pumps moving the surface.

Offline pikedaddy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FLAGGG!!!!
« Reply #7 on: Jan 16, 2013, 08:20 PM »
PIkedaddy>> You might not need a heater as long as the water is moving around. Heaters get expensive to run. Have my bait tank in the garage and fish ponds outside without heaters and they don't freeze. Just have circulator pumps moving the surface.
whY type of pump u using I'm new with storing them so its gonna b trial and error and I'm picking everyones brains .  ;D
Off to walk on water

Offline tomcatoak

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Safety meeting
« Reply #8 on: Jan 16, 2013, 08:24 PM »
Think I'll make one anyway.  :whistle: :whistle:

yup works great i put them in front of culverts in the summer time, ive caught perch, dace, sunfish u name it.  I know a great spot for when the suckers run up the rivers to spawn.  Did i say i used it, i mean my friend

Offline pikedaddy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FLAGGG!!!!
« Reply #9 on: Jan 16, 2013, 08:25 PM »
Any luck thru the ice?
Off to walk on water

Offline tomcatoak

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Safety meeting
« Reply #10 on: Jan 16, 2013, 08:35 PM »
Any luck thru the ice?

yea it real slow and i like to use small marsh ponds that i know panfish are in, its ez to target them in small ponds. the ice sucks, edges are soft and when u fall through ur in knee deep mud but i still do it something to do with the long dark winters.  Go to a iparty stote and get some glow sticks

Offline JigChaser08

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Wishin' I Was Fishin'
« Reply #11 on: Jan 16, 2013, 10:38 PM »
get yourself some stainless metal ones...do not buy the black ones they sell at walmart etc..i believe they are made by frabill..THEY STINK!
literally..smell like plastic..you will catch some bait...but the metal ones work a heck of alot better.

I only trap through the ice and i hammer the shiners... usually in two traps i will catch 2lbs of bait a day.
Henry

Offline bfields10

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 17, 2013, 07:51 AM »
get yourself some stainless metal ones...do not buy the black ones they sell at walmart etc..i believe they are made by frabill..THEY STINK!
literally..smell like plastic..you will catch some bait...but the metal ones work a heck of alot better.

I only trap through the ice and i hammer the shiners... usually in two traps i will catch 2lbs of bait a day.

I have, what I think, is the perfect spot for trapping down the street from me, but I have never done it before. I though I was too late with the ice over it, how long do you leave your trap for? Might go punch a hole and set mine out now to give it a shot.

Offline moosehunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Jan 17, 2013, 07:58 AM »
try online on some of the bait sites. the black ones don't work well like the guys say.

Offline pikedaddy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FLAGGG!!!!
« Reply #14 on: Jan 17, 2013, 08:00 AM »
I managed to round up two so far   ;D so I can atleast start filling my tank
Off to walk on water

Offline GrizlyGarou

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Jan 17, 2013, 08:32 AM »
I've got one of the black ones. Works just fine for me...

"One hundred years from now it will not matter what my bank account was, the sort of house I lived in or the kind of car I drove, but the world may be different because I was important in the life of a child."  Anonymous

Offline pikedaddy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FLAGGG!!!!
« Reply #16 on: Jan 17, 2013, 08:36 AM »
Honestly I'm not sure how the color would really make a differance?when I was a kid I would make them out of 2 and 3 liter soda bottles and the green sprite bottles would work the same as clear ones.I have a black and a silver one so let's see if I see a differance.
Off to walk on water

Offline jss111678

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Jan 17, 2013, 09:28 AM »
what do you guys find works the best for baiting the traps for shiners, i have had better luck with bread or rolls rather than catfood but i have only tried dry catfood.  ???

Offline RE-PETE

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Trying to teach my friend matt 300 how its done!
« Reply #18 on: Jan 17, 2013, 10:32 AM »
i just recently started trapping my bait too, i put the first dozen or so in a cooler with an airator in my garage and they were fine for a couple hours and later in the day i c ame home and they were all dead? anyone have any input on storing the bait?
Matt300 and Repete as young-bucks teaching the bucks how to fish!!! this is where we separate the men from the ladies!

Offline jss111678

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Jan 17, 2013, 01:44 PM »
if you washed the cooler first with soap it could have killed them, or where did your water come from. tap water is not a good source unless you get something to remove the chemicals

Offline RE-PETE

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Jan 17, 2013, 01:51 PM »
yea i used my hose in my garage, but we have a shallow well and i live on a lake so i didnt think it would make a differenc e
Matt300 and Repete as young-bucks teaching the bucks how to fish!!! this is where we separate the men from the ladies!

Offline GrizlyGarou

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Jan 17, 2013, 01:55 PM »
yea i used my hose in my garage, but we have a shallow well and i live on a lake so i didnt think it would make a differenc e

Could have been temperature shock, too. The water they get put into has to be within a few degrees of the water they came from. I let the bucket I put them into from the trap sit near the tank for a while to get to the same temp as the tank. It also gives them a chance to empty their intestines so the water stays cleaner in the tank...

"One hundred years from now it will not matter what my bank account was, the sort of house I lived in or the kind of car I drove, but the world may be different because I was important in the life of a child."  Anonymous

Offline RE-PETE

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Jan 17, 2013, 03:27 PM »
i had both my bucket and the cooler in the garage they should have been the same temperature   ???

Offline tomcatoak

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Safety meeting
« Reply #23 on: Jan 17, 2013, 10:08 PM »
i ran a tank, i used water from the lake and then i got lazy one time and used tap.  They didn't die when i put them in tap but they died when i put them in the lake to fish.  I have shallow well and live on a lake too, i think it could be PH change.  My tank was in the shed so it was not temp change but i only speculating on the PH idea.  I stopped using tank, filters got expensive.  I started sinking them under the ice in milk jugs with holes a splitshot or two to weight them down.  Much cheapah and more mobile,  I have 4 differant lake with 18 shiners in milk jugs.   

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.