Author Topic: Vex F-18  (Read 3797 times)

Offline Zorro

• IceShanty Rookie
Vex F-18
« on: Dec 22, 2006, 08:10 PM »
Looking into getting this one. Should I get the Ultra pack or the Pro Pack II. Im leaning more towards the pro becuase of the price. What the diffrence bettween the two
Perch all the way

Offline crappieslayer22

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • damn dinks
Re: Vex F-18
« Reply #1 on: Dec 22, 2006, 08:23 PM »
yea i got mine for 10% off so it was a little cheaper they work great ice or no ice they all ways work i got the regulaer genz pack but you can buy the pro pack set up seprate its a little cheaper
Loren W
ST.Croix
Iced Slabs
28 in walleye
15 in crappie
14 in perch
12 in golden shiner
25 in pickerel
11 1/4 in bluegill
6 1/2 pound largemouth
36 in lake trout

Offline Waubay Fisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Dec 22, 2006, 09:03 PM »
Zorro,

I'm not completely positive, but I believe a couple of the main differences b/w the FL18 Pro and Ultra are that the utlra has the built in little rod holder, a tackle box (not sure if the Pro has that or not), and the dual beam transducer.  I could be wrong though, I can't really remember.  I can say one thing for sure, I know that Vexilar's website has a TON of information out there as far as the differneces, features, what the dual beam does, advantages/cons, etc... If you are looking at making an educated decision on your purchas I would certainly investigate into it on Vexilars website.  Unless a few guys around here that know this info off the top of their head post their comments.

Offline Hardguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 22, 2006, 09:08 PM »
I bought the 18 propack. The differance is the ultra has a snap on tackle box and the battery is in an enclosed box with the terminals exposed. This way you can hook up lights or whatever. It makes the unit taller and I do not think it will fit in a 5 gal bucket. I do not want the tackle box or the battery box. Not worth it in my book.
I did however add a switch to mine so I do not have to disconnect the battery to prevent the battery gauge from draining my battery. Mine, when connected to the battery , kept the gauge on. Now I do not play with the battery leads at all. I can run my vex with out the gauge and can turn it on whenever. Vex may do this on the Ultra now. My propack is a dual beam. 9 or 19 degree.

Offline Bean

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Dec 22, 2006, 09:12 PM »
Click on this link and it will show you the differences in the units.  http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=38003.0 
Ken                                          

Offline AugustWest

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 22, 2006, 09:20 PM »
You guys need to go to the equipment section...scroll through all the info...and you will find what your looking for :P

Offline stumper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Never settle for less
« Reply #6 on: Dec 22, 2006, 09:25 PM »
You guys need to go to the equipment section...scroll through all the info...and you will find what your looking for :P

Yah cuz for sure  NOBODY is gonna have anything new to say about this.NOT!!! Everybopdy has different opinions,some that may have changed since last season. There is nothing wrong with asking a question like that.(technically shoulda been in the electronics section,but oh well.  :P )

Offline Waubay Fisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Dec 22, 2006, 09:25 PM »
It makes the unit taller and I do not think it will fit in a 5 gal bucket.

My ultra fits in a 5 gallon bucket... just an FYI.  Newer ones might be different maybe?

Offline Fat Boy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Mason-Dixon - Crappie beware!
« Reply #8 on: Dec 22, 2006, 09:56 PM »
I got a pro pack a couple years ago and it has the dual beam transducer.  The unit is identical, it's just the case that is different.  Pro pack has no tackle box or rod holder.  Big whoop IMHO.  I have my own rod holders and tackle already stored.  Now, it does sit higher and that might be an issue.  It's kind of a pain with my pro pack if I have it sitting too close to me to adjust it facing up...like it isn't quite designed for it.  But given the money difference I can get buy just fine.

Either way, the unit will make you happy ;)
Kevin Wilson
http://fatboysoutdoors.blogspot.com/

Don't Leave Fish to Find Fish!

Offline Zorro

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Dec 22, 2006, 10:00 PM »
ok so should i get a 12 transducer or a 9/19
Perch all the way

Offline A- bomb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • THE ORIGINAL...ORIGINAL! Go drop A Bomb on 'em
« Reply #10 on: Dec 22, 2006, 11:04 PM »
unless you need the zoom feature look at the fl 12 the new display is awesome. I just got the 20 and i LOVE the new display.12 is the same. if you need the zoom then go 18.  I went dual trans, however i use it open water (19) and ice(9). Go narrow for best seperation, same power smaller area.if you fish 20' or less go with the 12 deg.
my 01cts worth
Lack of planning on your part in NO way constitutes an EMERGENCY on mine

Offline Zorro

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Dec 22, 2006, 11:17 PM »
Yeah im not doing open water with this
Perch all the way

Offline A- bomb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Dec 22, 2006, 11:20 PM »
how deep do you fish and do you need the zoom

Offline keny

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • just poken holes
« Reply #13 on: Dec 22, 2006, 11:35 PM »
The zoom feature is the best feature of the ultra. I have the dual beam which is an option on both units. I never used it so far as I fish shallow water but I may sometime. The ultra will fit in a 5 gallon bucket. It has a on off switch for the power. I have never actually seen the battery as there is no need. It is heavy and bulky compared to the genz pak and the other models. (pricey too) It is well set up though.The little jig case on it is not large enough to be very useful unless you are going to a lake where you know exactly what you need. (I leave it at home) the rod holder is not very useful either as it either has the rod pointed at you or off to the side. I only use it to hold my pole as I rebait my hook or pour a coffee etc. (great for that) Best to compare features online at the vex site - then check them out at a local retailer. (hard to compare size online) Plus the prices may vary by retailer.

Offline A- bomb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Dec 22, 2006, 11:48 PM »
I agree the rod holder is silly and the tackle box, well i have plenty of those. the thingy that the float sits in looks nice but drips water on the unit and gets the gloves damp. I want the flasher not gadgets,If i need to add some thing i'll figure it out. my fl8 is tricked out and its all functional

Offline X-Rap

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Dec 23, 2006, 01:55 AM »
Just bought the bag and led light for mine. I think they will be handy since I always worry about water or dirt and just plain rub wear in the sled damageing the vex. As for the light it should help in the evenings and in the shack and the led model is easy on the bat. Does anyone have the lense cover and is it worth it?

PWR BAIT

« Reply #16 on: Dec 23, 2006, 02:08 AM »
i have lens for mine it magnifies good and keeps the flasher clean. the new FL 20 is not recessed like FL18 that would have saved us 15 bucks if they would of thought  that earlier.

Offline holeinhide

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • have ice will fish!!
« Reply #17 on: Dec 23, 2006, 07:35 AM »
I also have the FL-18 pro with the soft cover and lens cover. Both the covers work as advertised. I like that it keeps the weather off the unit. I use too hate having to get the snow off the lens, with the cover there is no where for it to stick too. :tipup:

Offline Hardguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Dec 23, 2006, 08:13 AM »
Keny, I guess you can charge your battery with  out taking it out of the unit. How does your switch work. Can you disable the gauge with the switch? I put a switch on my Pro that will disable the gauge. Then I can still turn the unit on or off by the regular switch. If I want to check battery power I just flip the switch. If you remember the originals you had to disconnect the battery lead or the gauge would run you battery down.I bought a Fish Trap Guide and it does not have the storage height my old shanty had. Long story short I have to trash my 5 gall buckets and look for smaller. That was why I was concerned with the Ultra not fitting. By the way does any one know who sells say a 4 gallon bucket or where i can get one?

Offline Pasquatch

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Dec 23, 2006, 08:55 AM »
I got the lens cover as a throw in for my purchase last season, and it works great. It is what it is, nothing fancy, but it magnifies and keeps everything out.

Offline AugustWest

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Dec 23, 2006, 11:02 AM »
Yah cuz for sure  NOBODY is gonna have anything new to say about this.NOT!!! Everybopdy has different opinions,some that may have changed since last season. There is nothing wrong with asking a question like that.(technically shoulda been in the electronics section,but oh well.  :P )

I wasn't shutting him down about his question.
I was trying to steer him in the right direction. This question comes up several times a year and is always moved to the equipment section. All the questions he has can easily be researched under that section.
Thanks for setting me straight :bow:... Stumper.
We had better get some ice soon...people are getting cranky :-X

Offline bossman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • im all about settin hooks
« Reply #21 on: Dec 23, 2006, 05:23 PM »
Just bought the bag and led light for mine. I think they will be handy since I always worry about water or dirt and just plain rub wear in the sled damageing the vex. As for the light it should help in the evenings and in the shack and the led model is easy on the bat. Does anyone have the lense cover and is it worth it?
yes i have the mag lense and it works great ,but my eyes arent that good.lol
Its all about the good times.

Offline AugustWest

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Dec 23, 2006, 06:05 PM »
i have lens for mine it magnifies good and keeps the flasher clean. the new FL 20 is not recessed like FL18 that would have saved us 15 bucks if they would of thought  that earlier.

The lens cover is a must on these flashers.
Like PWR BAIT said, it keeps snow and water off the unit.
I have had mine for 3 years now and it is pretty scratched up. Which just shows how it has kept the Vex clean.
With all these added gadgets...all said and done...it just puts more money in Vexilar's pocket.

Offline keny

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • just poken holes
« Reply #23 on: Dec 23, 2006, 07:37 PM »
In reply to hard guy`s question yes the switch disables the gauges. You also have to remember to turn the switch on to charge the battery on the fl-18. The gauges also have a seperate turn off at the depth x settings( off 1x 2x 3x etc. for depth)

Offline Hardguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Dec 24, 2006, 03:28 PM »
Keny, good point. I did not think about the switch position for charging.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.