The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: 2hp vs. 3hp  (Read 1674 times)

cliske

2hp vs. 3hp
« on: Dec 19, 2005, 06:31 PM »
I'm looking at purchasing a new Jiffy Stealth or Strikemaster Lazer mag Express but would like to hear some feedback first regarding 2hp vs. 3hp and hole size.  First I mostly fish Pike and Walleye.  Some say go 10" others say 8" is fine.  I'm leaning towards the Strikemaster's since they are much lighter even in the 10" but is a 2hp really effective enough for that size?  I don't think SM makes a 3hp?  A 9" seems to be a good compromise considering weight and drilling effectiveness, but is 2hp on a 9" even acceptable?  I'll appreciate anyone's opinions.  Thanks...

trapperdirk

Re: 2hp vs. 3hp
« Reply #1 on: Dec 19, 2005, 06:41 PM »
Yes I've seen and run the smaller 2hp Jiffy's drilling the bigger holes and they worked fine just a bit slower but not enough to be of concern . How long they will last cranking the bigger head I don't know but your average joe its likely fine,, but my auger has to drill many and gets used for trapping too so I use the 3hp .

TD

Offline LoneWolf

• Tournaments/Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Fanatic! >))))>
« Reply #2 on: Dec 19, 2005, 07:09 PM »

As td stated he traps so he needs the 10". I think you would be fine with the 8" auger. I've only had one musky get stuck in an eight inch hole. Another advantage is safety with an eight inch hole. It is less likely someone is going to break a leg stepping into an 8" hole vs a 10" hole.  ;)

Those who are brave are free ..

Offline settlepa

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 19, 2005, 08:30 PM »
I just bought a 2 HP 8" stx and I love it.  The difference between a 2 and 3 HP is about 8LBS and $100.00

Offline Crazy-Joe

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 20, 2005, 07:47 AM »
I have a Strikemaster 3000 ,ten inch I got last season.Love it.It's lite and fast.
If it was that easy,everyone would do it!

Offline Bob_D

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • www.Fishingvermont.net
« Reply #5 on: Dec 20, 2005, 11:45 AM »
I agree with Lonewolf. A 8" 2hp will work just fine. Other then situations like Trapper Dirk (trapping purposes), you are fishing world class laketrout lakes, etc. people really don't need anything bigger then an 8" auger. There is a big difference between "want" and "need".  ;)

cliske

« Reply #6 on: Dec 22, 2005, 11:27 AM »
Thanks for the feedback..  It sounds like the 10" will be overkill for me.   I'll probably pick up the 2hp 9" Lazer as a happy medium.   the extra inch to pull up that 20# pike will be nice.

Offline red_eyes

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • FLAGG!!!!!!!
« Reply #7 on: Dec 22, 2005, 03:08 PM »
Yea, I decided the 10" was too much, and I dont like the fact stepping in huge holes either. just ordered a 9" jiffy 2hp white lightning, cant wait till I get it.
Pain is temporary, trophies last forever

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.