Author Topic: Tower hill pond  (Read 3788 times)

Offline Zwilson603

• IceShanty Rookie
Tower hill pond
« on: Jan 18, 2017, 04:11 PM »
Anyone know any good spots to catch trout on tower hill? If you've had success there, what bait did best? I am going out there on Saturday and have no clue where trout would be. If trout fishing is tough, any spots for bass or other fish? Or just any tips on trout fishing because I'm new to ice fishing for them. Anything will help. Also, is it a good spot in the winter and Is it worth the hike all the way back there?

Offline LakerNewb

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Tower hill pond trout spots
« Reply #1 on: Jan 18, 2017, 04:19 PM »
Anyone know any good spots to catch trout on tower hill? I am going out there on Saturday and have no clue where trout would be. If trout fishing is tough, any spots for bass or other fish?

Chances are no one is gonna give up any spots to you, too many folks burns spots up. I will give ya some advice though. I do good on trout in 2-4 fow with a small shiner just below the ice or jigging with a 1/32nd Swedish pimple. I do good for bass between 5-10 feet 1-2 feet up off the bottom. Good luck to ya. :tipup:
Oh the weather outside is frightful but the cusk are so delightful, long as I can't feel my toes! Let snow let it snow let it snow!

Offline Zwilson603

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 18, 2017, 04:29 PM »
Chances are no one is gonna give up any spots to you, too many folks burns spots up. I will give ya some advice though. I do good on trout in 2-4 fow with a small shiner just below the ice or jigging with a 1/32nd Swedish pimple. I do good for bass between 5-10 feet 1-2 feet up off the bottom. Good luck to ya. :tipup:

Sweet thanks!! Could you tell me what to look for for trout? Like bottom structure or drop offs or points or something like that. I'm new to ice fishing in general but even newer to ice fishing for trout. Anything helps, as I know basically nothing about it

Offline zwiggles

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 18, 2017, 04:38 PM »
The search feature in the top left will help to answer many of your questions. A lot of members have answered these questions over, and over again, and at some point it gets old. Obviously you didn't know this, and I am not trying to dig on you just trying to explain why you won't have many responses.

If you look back a few pages there is a ton of info on trout. But in general for trout look for river inlets, drop offs with large adjacent flats, and areas which tend to have less foot traffic as they can be easily spooked.

What kind of trout are you going to target?

Offline Zwilson603

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 18, 2017, 04:46 PM »
The search feature in the top left will help to answer many of your questions. A lot of members have answered these questions over, and over again, and at some point it gets old. Obviously you didn't know this, and I am not trying to dig on you just trying to explain why you won't have many responses.

If you look back a few pages there is a ton of info on trout. But in general for trout look for river inlets, drop offs with large adjacent flats, and areas which tend to have less foot traffic as they can be easily spooked.

What kind of trout are you going to target?

I'm not really targeting specific trout. I heard there is brook brown and rainbow in there and i don't really care which one I catch. I just want to catch a trout. My uncle got me hooked on trout fishing last year on massabesic and I want more! ;D also thanks for the help!

Offline zwiggles

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 18, 2017, 04:51 PM »
I forgot to also say welcome to the site! Lots of info, and good people on here.

If you are new to ice fishing I would highly recommend combing through old posts, and using the search feature. I did a few years ago when I started fishing again, and you will be surprised how many times the same subjects are covered multiple times.

Offline Zwilson603

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 18, 2017, 04:56 PM »
I forgot to also say welcome to the site! Lots of info, and good people on here.

If you are new to ice fishing I would highly recommend combing through old posts, and using the search feature. I did a few years ago when I started fishing again, and you will be surprised how many times the same subjects are covered multiple times.

Thank you again for the advice. This site is awesome! Learned so much about fishing for bass through the ice and learn more and more about ice fishing every time I come on here. Sites like these are where I get the majority of my fishing knowledge

Offline HuntnFish603

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If I can hunt it, or fish it....I'M THERE!
Re: Tower hill pond
« Reply #7 on: Jan 18, 2017, 07:18 PM »
Welcome to the Shanty. As zwiggles said, look back with search and you'll find some great info.
But I can tell you this, I know there is trout in Tower Hill, but for whatever reason I cant seem to do well there in winter. The tactics I use with good success in other lakes just dont work well for me there.
- In every walk with nature, every hunt, every fishing trip....one receives far more than he seeks.

Offline Zwilson603

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 18, 2017, 09:01 PM »
Welcome to the Shanty. As zwiggles said, look back with search and you'll find some great info.
But I can tell you this, I know there is trout in Tower Hill, but for whatever reason I cant seem to do well there in winter. The tactics I use with good success in other lakes just dont work well for me there.

Do you catch them there in the warmer months? If so what produces for you? Because I catch bass there and that's all I've caught there. Decent size too

Offline Rob M

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 19, 2017, 07:54 AM »
Real tough to catch trout through the ice there do to the water being so dark....you best bet is to go out drill some holes and fish at different depths and once you start catching fish then adjust accordingly. You will catch all kinds of fish, just don't get your hopes up for a bunch of trout, you may luck into one or two but that is about all. Be very careful drilling holes, the lake is about 6ft lower than the normal winter level so there are a lot of rocks lurking just below the ice.

Offline Zwilson603

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 19, 2017, 10:47 AM »
Real tough to catch trout through the ice there do to the water being so dark....you best bet is to go out drill some holes and fish at different depths and once you start catching fish then adjust accordingly. You will catch all kinds of fish, just don't get your hopes up for a bunch of trout, you may luck into one or two but that is about all. Be very careful drilling holes, the lake is about 6ft lower than the normal winter level so there are a lot of rocks lurking just below the ice.

Thank you for your input. Do you know if there are good sized trout in there? I know there's some nice bass there but Ive never seen a trout pulled out of there.

Offline Jadler311

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 19, 2017, 10:50 AM »
Fished Tower Hill last winter and found all of the above to be spot on. Long day for a small 8'' Brownie. Cool spot though.

Offline FSH4FN

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 19, 2017, 10:55 AM »
Not sure how big the trout are in Tower Hill but I believe they do stock annually. I would recommend focusing your efforts towards the north end of the lake where Maple Falls Brook comes in. I've often seen a lot of people during the open water season fishing for trout there.

I also have never pulled a trout out of there but I'd suspect the inlet would be a good place to start. As always though with moving water be very careful with the ice.

BrookieSlayer99

« Reply #13 on: Jan 19, 2017, 11:26 AM »
This pond has come up a few times in the last few years and there never seems to be any good reports about the place. I think a lot of them get pushed out of the pond when they draw it down because the draw down in the pond is huge.

Offline NH_RED

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 19, 2017, 11:31 AM »
With the warm and dry summer/fall, Most of these spring stocked lakes I am sure took a beating and finding holdovers may be a bit of a challenge.

Offline Oz 1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 19, 2017, 12:19 PM »
^^^ What he said

- I dont think Tower hill got a fall shot of stockies - and the summer was tough there as the water dropped, water got warm... more than usual to say the least.

On Beesic I got a few decent browns late fall, open water, Pretty sure it was same week they dumped them in -- and now another one thru the ice last weekend, these are good sized stockies- strong healthy buggers - I let em go to be caught again I hope

Tower hill -- more trips overall. And once ice fishing 2017 -- no trout at all since Late Spring/Summer last year - 

Spots- well sometimes I walk sort of far, and sometimes I walk even further. ;)

Offline nhicefshr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Jan 19, 2017, 03:56 PM »
I work for the Water Works. We drew down the pond 14ft starting in October and shut it off in late December. As mentioned above, it's about 6ft down as of today, but goes up 4-6" day. 

As far as fish being drawn out of the pond, nope, we have (3) 24" valves at various depths that are protected with a screen that fish will not fit
through.

I'm trying to remember the number of fish stocked in the spring, I believe it was about 2,800.

F & G also put in 150 breeder rainbows around June that were HUGE!

Offline Zwilson603

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Jan 19, 2017, 06:40 PM »
^^^ What he said

- I dont think Tower hill got a fall shot of stockies - and the summer was tough there as the water dropped, water got warm... more than usual to say the least.

On Beesic I got a few decent browns late fall, open water, Pretty sure it was same week they dumped them in -- and now another one thru the ice last weekend, these are good sized stockies- strong healthy buggers - I let em go to be caught again I hope

Tower hill -- more trips overall. And once ice fishing 2017 -- no trout at all since Late Spring/Summer last year - 

Spots- well sometimes I walk sort of far, and sometimes I walk even further. ;)

what baits/lures have you had success on for trout while ice fishing? i fished massabesic a couple of times and all i caught was a pretty good sized rainbow (shown in the picture. thats my uncle holding it because he was showing me the right way to handle trout) in about 4 fow on a tipup with those powerbait nugget things. my uncle fishes there a lot and has caught some good bass out of there and his friend has caught some good browns there too.i asked them the same question and got different answers. one swears by powerbait and one prefers live bait.

Offline Rob M

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Jan 20, 2017, 11:42 AM »
Be real careful if going up to the North end of the lake....it is real shallow, I warped an Auger blade up there once by hitting a hidden rock...and I grew up fishing the pond on a daily basis. Look at the depth maps and then take out 5 ft of water and you will see the north end is pretty much 2 - 4 ft of water right now....witch would be great if clear water, but the murky water has less oxygen in it.

I have seen some big browns out of there through the ice, but not for a couple years. They are there, just hard to catch.

Offline bothssfiddler

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Jan 20, 2017, 03:58 PM »
I've been quite successful using small earthworms or salmon eggs when ice fishing for Rainbows. Use without a sinker in less than 10ftw preferably close to shore. Browns and Brookies will also go for worms fished under the ice.

Offline Oz 1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Jan 24, 2017, 03:38 PM »
I'm not a huge expert, lots of guys on here with great advice..... - But, since you ask- Small shiners, suspended at a few depths,  light leaders, small hooks, small split shot if at all - I'm not usually very deep for  trout although The Grand Poobah of the BIP gang has his own research on Rainbow over deeps that he has written about in the past ;)

I also sometimes do the egg hole thing, brookies and rainbow- cause that works well when you're real shallow. Shallow enough water so you can see that your eggs get stolen
Power bait, then two sinker setup, light line, small hook into a few egg holes- Egg on a tiny hook on my jiggin pole no weight once the egg gets
taken from your hole drop that in- You can play with them sometimes that way.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.