The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Budget gear for starting out  (Read 2350 times)

Offline Fishinguy1212

• IceShanty Rookie
Budget gear for starting out
« on: Dec 30, 2022, 07:51 AM »
I've been ice fishing sporadically for the last decade or so. Never really had much gear other than a couple cheap ice rods and a second hand ancient auger. I got a decent auger for Christmas so I'm anxious to get out a bit more this year. What are some suggestions for basic budget gear everyone needs to have?

Offline Klarson

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Budget gear for starting out
« Reply #1 on: Dec 30, 2022, 08:01 AM »
Find a used Vexilar FL-8. I think a flasher is a must have.  Probably the best tool and best money you'll spend budget wise.

Offline MumbleSEED

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • "If you plant corn you get corn!"
« Reply #2 on: Dec 30, 2022, 08:09 AM »
Firstly, Spud bar and ice picks are simple start which is pretty cheap and affordable and also good for safety. 

Secondly, I'd grab yourself a float suit when they go on sale again or if you can find a nice deal.  Warmth and safety are key.

While everyone was upgrading to the newest electronics over the last decade, I bought the Garmin Striker 4 a few years back and it is just as good as any rig out there (simple with multiple useful features) and affordable (not sure what's affordable for the next person but fair priced compared the rest of the market).

Honestly a fairly basic and budget friendly piece of gear are plastics and micro plastics.  BC Bait Company is a great place to buy an awesome product and affordable and they are local (PA).

Good Luck! 
If only God would come down in the form of a man and explain everything to us.

Offline Cbass123

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 30, 2022, 08:14 AM »
I would go with these things, in this order.

Safety gear.  Don't put a price on your life.  You can buy or build a spud bar. Get some ice picks and a throw rope.   And if float suits are too expensive, you can wear a regular life jacket if you're out on sketchy ice.  (It looks stupid, but it will work, and it keeps you warm.)

Stay warm.  Good boots are a must, though you might have them already.  If not, they will be worth the money.  Especially if you plan on spending more time out there.

Tip-ups.  In PA it's legal to have five lines in the water, so I like to run 4 tip-ups and jig the fifth hole.   I love the Frabill Dawg Bone tip-ups.  They're compact and lightweight, but very well built, and only cost like $10.

Electronics.  If you've got the money, go for it.  But if not, definitely not necessary.  I would wait until you have the things above first.  Once you have those, electronics will help catch more fish.

Not sure where you are in PA, but most places in the state don't consistently get extreme enough weather to warrant a shelter IMO.  I would not even worry about them.  Same with a heater.

Other than that, it's just about how many luxury items do you want to bring.

Offline tackleshack

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Owner of Tackle Shack
« Reply #4 on: Dec 30, 2022, 08:33 AM »
Some great suggestions here so far.  I agree safety gear and warm clothing are the #1 most important items.  Some other items that are handy include, in no particular order-

1- a bucket or sled to carry your gear in.  Plus flip a bucket over and it doubles as a cheap seat.
2-an ice scoop to remove slush from a hole. 
3- a depth finder weight or two.  A flasher is an excellent tool for locating fish and seeing depths, but if you don't want to spend the money, grab a clip on depthfinder weight to help set your depths properly.
4- bait pucks.  Nearly every bait shop sells bait in cheap, flimsy containers (including us), and bait pucks are a cheap way to keep the bait safely.  some people use chewing tobacco cans or altoids tins.  both also work.
5- an assortment of jigs, hooks, and split shot

Don Kelly

Tackle Shack
9683 Route 287
Wellsboro, PA 16901
570-724-5138
[email protected]
www.wellsborotacklesha ck.com

Shop Online anytime at www.shoptackleshack.co m

Like us on Facebook- www.facebook.com/wellsborotackleshack

Follow us on Twitter
@TackleShackPA

Follow us on Instagram
@Wellsborotackleshack #tackleshack #fishtiogacounty

Offline getting jiggin with it

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 30, 2022, 08:37 AM »
For sure a life jacket !! I would rather look silly and very warm. I was shocked to realize how warm a life jacket is!!
Ice cleat!!
Ice picks

If u do not have a flasher stick to shallow lakes 10-15 ft

Rubber boots
And buddy up with someone and learn how to read the ice conditions

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 30, 2022, 08:53 AM »
I started with a cheap plastic kids sled, a bucket and a rod. Gradually upgraded stuff over the years. But like guys said don’t skimp on SAFETY!

I bought a used flip over sled many years ago and although I seldom actually flip it over, I do use it halfway up to block the wind on windy days, and flip it over on occasion when it rains or snows. But I ALWAYS have it now because it holds more gear than my other sleds.

I try NOT to go nuts every year, but I buy a few new things each year to upgrade............... ...
Where's the FISH?!

Offline jigmaster5

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Dec 30, 2022, 09:23 AM »
I've been ice fishing sporadically for the last decade or so. Never really had much gear other than a couple cheap ice rods and a second hand ancient auger. I got a decent auger for Christmas so I'm anxious to get out a bit more this year. What are some suggestions for basic budget gear everyone needs to have?

you really don't need much to catch fish...

ice scoop, ice picks to wear around your neck + a chisel to check the ice.  if you can, get some nice ones so you only have to buy them once - it's cheaper in the long run.

some lures would be nice to go w/ the ice rods.  if I could only have 1, it would be a gold swedish pimple.  not sure where you are fishing or what you're fishing for, but smallest size is good for sunfish + panfish.  i like using the single hook that comes in the package & tipping w/ bait.  for bigger fish, use bigger sizes + bigger bait.

if you have $$$ left over, I'd get a cheap UW camera (check online) before I bought a flasher/FF or flipover.  You can add extra stuff over the years.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #8 on: Dec 30, 2022, 09:29 AM »
Safety first as mention above ...spud cleats and picks

Most cheap combos will work ..but you already have some ...chuck the reel and upgrade to a better reeel ...as most rods are ok from combos the reels tends to be clunkers...scale down your line...#4#...3...#2 for panfish. A good 6-7 gallon buck with a seat pad is much better then a 5 gallon

A start up flasher to get you started ...will help you move ...and moving catches more fish

https://www.landmsupply.com/vexilar-flx-12-genz-pack-w-12-ice-ducer-gpx1212

a flotation suit is always nice ..as are good boots..if money is tight buy the bibs first ..as you will always wear the bibs..my jacket gets very limited use ...a good base layer paired with a good hoodie..vest and a neck gaiter woorks for most folks .

https://www.landmsupply.com/clam-men-s-blue-black-rise-float-bibs

https://www.landmsupply.com/clam-men-s-blue-black-rise-float-parka

Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #9 on: Dec 30, 2022, 09:33 AM »
Fishinguy1212 you should add you location to your profile ...could be a deal on all your needs nearby .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline ajv5148

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Team Treehouse
« Reply #10 on: Dec 30, 2022, 10:07 AM »
Lots of great gear tips on here but the biggest recommendation I can give is take your time, be patient, and watch for deals!! The main forum has a " best ice deals" thread which has saved (and cost) be hundreds. It is very easy to get yourself fully equipped by patiently waiting for items to come up for sale. Learn how to buy discount gift cards and use cash back sites as well.
Depending where you are in PA, your season might be short and it's not worth it to spend top dollar on stuff. Take your time and find things on sale and determine what you need vs what you want

Offline Captn66

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 30, 2022, 10:20 AM »
Spud bar, ice cleats, ice picks, float suit or life jacket ...

I use a Jet Sled to pull my stuff out and it also pulls double duty as a deer sled (makes it easier to justify the cost if its not just used a few times / year) But a kids sled will work as well and I still use one when I have the kids with me.

I will usually haul a small three legged chair out with me just because I like having a back for support, but have also just sat on a bucket that I use to put some gear in.  My bucket originated as a baseball bucket and has a padded lid on it.  Works well - the padding is warmer than just plastic. 

The nice thing about ice fishing is a lot of times you can make due with what you have and a little ingenuity.  I made my first spud bar out of a piece of old black pipe with a T on one end and a masonry chisel welded into the other end.

Flashers or electronics arent really necessary items at first.  I went years without them but they will definitely help you catch more fish once you have more of a budget.  There again - you can get an ice transducer for some open water electronics you may already have.   

Offline jeepdude64

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Dec 30, 2022, 04:31 PM »
if your near pittsburgh i have a lowrance 5 ice pack with a 12ah lithium battery for $250.  it has gps/maps alsoit  works great i just don't use it anymore i mostly used it for the waypoints but my phone now does it.  it might of been used less thank 2 dozen times. 

Offline StonecoldCat

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Dec 31, 2022, 09:05 AM »
Good advice here ,as you fish more depending on where and how you fish you'll learn more what you need.You'll figure that out. Jigging,a fishfinder is a gamechanger. Tipup fishing not so much. I've bought lots over the years I seldom used.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #14 on: Dec 31, 2022, 09:32 AM »
Fishinguy1212 you should add you location to your profile ...could be a deal on all your needs nearby .
X2 lots of good advise given

Offline Scranton Joe

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 01, 2023, 08:31 AM »
Honestly,  the most important thing for a new ice fisherman is understanding ice, it's  formation  and decay.

Offline PikeKing23

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Go Big or Go Home!
« Reply #16 on: Jan 01, 2023, 08:37 AM »
Best advice I can give is safety first and a little at a time. Spread out the cost and get a few items each year. They will add up and you will zero in on what you need (want) during your experiences.

Offline SirCranksalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Jan 01, 2023, 09:00 AM »
I know it's only a few $, but I find a metal kitchen scoop with the handle on a 45 deg angle better than the 90 deg purpose made jobbies------can get at a Dollar store.
Keep yer stick on the ice!

Offline cor2016

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Jan 01, 2023, 08:50 PM »
I built a sled out of skis I got from goodwill for $2 and a pallet last year, don’t be afraid to get creative but also keep weight in mind if you decide to venture out on 4”. Spud bar and ice picks are a must. You can download some topographic maps on your phone for different bodies of water, some are free some you may have to pay for but may be able to do more with them.

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Jan 03, 2023, 10:02 AM »
Best advice I can give is safety first and a little at a time. Spread out the cost and get a few items each year. They will add up and you will zero in on what you need (want) during your experiences.

AMEN! 👍😎
Where's the FISH?!

Offline KevinM

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Jan 03, 2023, 12:11 PM »
If you plan on jigging much the small spring bobbers that you attach to the end of nearly any rod make a huge difference on detecting the VERY light bites that you might miss without them and they are inexpensive.

Offline brent_mydland

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Sitting here in limbo, knowing that I have to go
« Reply #21 on: Jan 03, 2023, 10:24 PM »
This will be my first season. Following thread. Thanks for sharing yall

Offline butcher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Jan 04, 2023, 11:25 AM »
I'm a little late to the party here but I'll add a budget hack for a pack sled.

Jet sleds are great but they can be a bit pricey ($50-$100+). If you are looking for a cheap alternative that will get the job done without draining your wallet, pick up a concrete mixing tub from a hardware store. They are sturdy, sled-shaped and have tall sidewalls to keep all of your stuff from spilling out as you are dragging it along. Just punch a couple of holes in the top of the narrow end and tie a short length of rope to it and you are ready to go.

Best part? They're really cheap - usually about $20 or so.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Creative-Plastic-Concepts-Large-Mixing-Tub-24-in-W-x-36-in-L-x-8-in-D-Drywall-Mud-Pan/1000642569

Good luck!

Offline Arkansaspete2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Jan 07, 2023, 06:45 AM »
Don’t forget the 5 and 6 gal. bucket holds tip ups, minno bucket an all kind of gear and with a lid cut out so  you can sit on it and slide fish in the bucket . Lots of diy stuff you can make back in the 70s we had to make a lot of are gear .Tight lines A/P  :tipup:

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Jan 07, 2023, 07:05 AM »
At the rate we're going lately, you're gonna need a boat to ice fish also.  :(

Offline SirCranksalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Jan 07, 2023, 10:09 AM »
Some great suggestions here so far.  I agree safety gear and warm clothing are the #1 most important items.  Some other items that are handy include, in no particular order-

4- bait pucks.  Nearly every bait shop sells bait in cheap, flimsy containers (including us), and bait pucks are a cheap way to keep the bait safely.  some people use chewing tobacco cans or altoids tins.  both also work.

Just curious---What is a bait puck?

Re DIY---some of us get a kick out of making our own gear, not out of necessity---more for the challenges and satisfaction. I fished a couple of years w/o a FF. If you are fishing with a bud(highly recommended for safety) who has one that will give you a good indication of where the fish are. I did buy a cheap graph at quite a reduced price---'last year's model??. I DO NOT like flashers.
Keep yer stick on the ice!

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity

Offline Arkansaspete2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Jan 08, 2023, 07:14 AM »
I have been using a show down v.p.g. Since it came on scene close to ten years I too didn’t like flashers, when I bought it I paid just under $200 now the price $400 I have had no issues other than a new battery. It’s very user friendly good luck A/P  :tipup:

Offline Fishinguy1212

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Jan 12, 2023, 05:35 AM »
Wow guys, thanks so much for all the helpful info. I'm currently located in sw pa. Looks like an ice scoop and ice picks are a couple things I'll be getting right away. Are those auto inflating life vests good for ice fishing? I'll keep my eyes peeled for a used flasher maybe this spring, but I do mostly fish smaller shake lakes. If like to get down to deep creek lake in Maryland a few times this season. If the weather decides to turn back into January at some point. Thanks for all the info!

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #29 on: Jan 12, 2023, 07:34 AM »
Wow guys, thanks so much for all the helpful info. I'm currently located in sw pa. Looks like an ice scoop and ice picks are a couple things I'll be getting right away. Are those auto inflating life vests good for ice fishing? I'll keep my eyes peeled for a used flasher maybe this spring, but I do mostly fish smaller shake lakes. If like to get down to deep creek lake in Maryland a few times this season. If the weather decides to turn back into January at some point. Thanks for all the info!

Well you are in the far south ice belt area  ice doesnt get that thick and lack of snow will make it slick...so as stated above safety first is important.....cleats ..spud/chisel..ice picks are your first item as well a a life vest the inflatables in principle should work ..but a regular boat vest will work as well and less to go wrong .

You should add your location to your profile

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.