Author Topic: I have a question for you Crappie experts  (Read 1848 times)

Offline gmalicoat

• Team IceShanty Regular
I have a question for you Crappie experts
« on: Nov 30, 2006, 11:04 AM »
Hey all-

The link below is a link to the map of the lake I live on.  It is a wonderful lake to fish on and in the spring time I clean up on the Crappie.  The problem is, in the wintertime I have only had limited success finding them, mostly bcs I havent had any on-ice transportation til this year.  At first glance which areas would you try if you were heading to this lake?

http://www.dnr.state.mi.us/SPATIALDATALIBRARY/PDF_MAPS/INLAND_LAKE_MAPS/MIDLAND/SANFORD_LAKE.PDF
"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me." Hunter S. Thompson

"In wildness is the preservation of the world." Thoreau

Wall: 1
Earnhardt: 0

Offline IceReaver

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Psalm 27
Re: I have a question for you Crappie experts
« Reply #1 on: Nov 30, 2006, 01:31 PM »
After reviewing the map...I have two suggestions for you:

1.)  For early ice, target the gravel/stump piles in the deeper water (center of map, far left corner).  Fish directly over the structure or just on the edge...but never very far from the main structure.

2.)  For late ice, target the deep edges of the emergent/submergent water.  The crappy move shallower preparing to spawn, but they still prefer cover to open water.

Offline gmalicoat

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Nov 30, 2006, 01:44 PM »
thanks alot for the tips.  i will definitely try those areas.  i plan to put a hurtin on the crappie this winter.  i will be hunting them all over that lake.  it is frustrating that i havent gotten into them more consistently when i know they are in there.
"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me." Hunter S. Thompson

"In wildness is the preservation of the world." Thoreau

Wall: 1
Earnhardt: 0

Offline spoonfed

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • just one more
« Reply #3 on: Nov 30, 2006, 02:32 PM »
hey gmalicoat,

i,m only 30min east of you and have fished sanford before on first ice. if you can get out there first ice fish out in front of the cuts off of west river rd.  should be a ton of guys fishing there. i haven't fished it in yrs but we did good in that area first ice.  you ever do good on eyes there?

only keep what you're gonna eat
                                                            MIRC

Offline Crappiekiller

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 12, 2006, 02:38 PM »
Don't they have a tourney up on Sanford lake?  I cross it everytime I go north and have always wanted to try it!  I heard it was a killer crappie lake.  How did you access your map?  Hope to see ya on the ice!
Crappiekiller

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.