The ice fishing WY board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: How thin is too thin? Thin ice experiences?  (Read 7771 times)

Offline Brian Tindall

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: How thin is too thin? Thin ice experiences?
« Reply #60 on: Dec 15, 2012, 11:38 AM »
Im not going to suggest fishing on an 1.5 inch of ice like i will if thats my option.  I have alot of trust and respect for ice and the physics of it. But i would never want to influence a fellow to grow a pair and him possibly fall through. . STAY SCARED! ! I enjoy the fact that i Ice fish 100% more then the scared type. . 6 inches ha ha ha ha. have fun wishin you were fishin.

Offline Spud16

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #61 on: Dec 15, 2012, 01:13 PM »
I would say about 4 inches. As long as its clear hard ice.

Offline gemcityslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #62 on: Dec 15, 2012, 02:24 PM »
Im not going to suggest fishing on an 1.5 inch of ice like i will if thats my option.  I have alot of trust and respect for ice and the physics of it. But i would never want to influence a fellow to grow a pair and him possibly fall through. . STAY SCARED! ! I enjoy the fact that i Ice fish 100% more then the scared type. . 6 inches ha ha ha ha. have fun wishin you were fishin.

I don't really understand this kind of sentiment.  In Wyoming we get 6"of ice usually about a week after we get 3" ice, what's the big deal about waiting for a little thicker ice?  It is not hard for most to wait a week or a few days for safer ice but there are always those that have got to be out there first. 

It has nothing to do with being scared.  It has a lot more to do with staying dry.  To each their own,  I wait for 4" of good clear ice and I'm never waiting long.

Offline donnie t

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #63 on: Dec 15, 2012, 06:23 PM »
I like 4 but have been on 2

Offline jasonfishn

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #64 on: Dec 15, 2012, 09:02 PM »
We fished on 3 inches of clear hard ice and no troubles here we caught fish and all is well.... it is slick tho so chain up  ;)2
I admit it I am an Ice O Holic

(Fish) it's what's for dinner

Offline jasonfishn

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #65 on: Dec 15, 2012, 09:03 PM »
This was yeaterday afternoon I forgot to put that on the last post lol good fishin everyone

Offline bachmann

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #66 on: Dec 15, 2012, 09:34 PM »
IF and only IF you have the gear (rope, ice pics, pfd), and partner who can pull your weight should you venture on 3 inches of cold clear.  The variance of ice thickness on lakes due to wind, currents, groundwater seeps, and springs is considerable and just because your general area is good and safe says nothing about the ice 10ft away from you. Test often and you wont earn a Darwin Award.

Offline gemcityslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #67 on: Dec 16, 2012, 02:43 PM »
Bingo Bachman.  Well said bud.

Offline jasonfishn

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #68 on: Dec 16, 2012, 03:42 PM »
WELL SAID MY GOOD FELLOW  ;D It leaves more fish for us haha...

Offline ckoger

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #69 on: Dec 17, 2012, 12:31 PM »
I'd say 3 inches is too thin but my grandpa says that 30 inches is too thin  ;D

Offline Johnson81

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #70 on: Dec 17, 2012, 06:09 PM »
Lol, i am with your grandpa! ;D

Offline Justinshootnfish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #71 on: Dec 17, 2012, 07:08 PM »
I won't fish until there's 4" or if someone has already been out there (I still check ice thickness and I walk out) early in the season. I will fish on 3" but that is usually because I started on 4" and we lost an inch due to the sun beating down on it and that's normally just around the holes.  I have experienced both success and disappointments on early ice but noticed a major difference when fishing for trout between early and late ice (caught my limit a lot quicker (with in 10min.) on first ice compared to late ice (all day)). Well my cousin went through the ice on the pond in his yard one year and when I was about 7 I had my leg go through a 8" hole. That was interesting. Other than that I've been lucky and stayed on top (knock on wood).

I agree. 4" min. 6" if I take the kids. I feel pretty confident on 6"
Give a man a fish he eats for a day, teach him how to fish his wife is angry for a lifetime...

Offline TChix

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #72 on: Dec 17, 2012, 07:15 PM »
We start out on 2". But we only fish in 3' of water.

Offline flyboyroy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #73 on: Dec 17, 2012, 07:45 PM »
Every level-headed man should be capable of discerning his own local "safe" ice conditions for the specific climate and body of water. There is no universal answer and no thin line between "crazy" and "safe" ice.

well said, Voltaire --   but  one thing  to consider is  the  volunteers  that risk their lives to try and save  someone that  goes through.    one inch or one foot --- the paramedics and firemen  are going to  risk everything  to save you.  I dont have any stats to back it up, but I  suppose they  have to go after more  folks that try to stay up on one inch than  those who  wait until its a little thicker.

:tipup:

Offline Bait Be Gone

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #74 on: Dec 18, 2012, 05:47 AM »
I prefer 3" of ice at least! If you drill a hole in the ice and water comes out of hole when you walk up to it that's to thin for this person !

Offline dstin1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #75 on: Dec 18, 2012, 09:56 AM »
After falling through as a youngster and having some fiends fall through as adults, I wait until there is 4 inches of ice. Crowding around together, adding additional weight, changes the equation and it's nice to have at least 6 for social spots. Some will argue that less than 4 is still safe, but once you have felt the ice water bite you, taking your breath away, you'll add an inch or two.

Offline FairIce

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #76 on: Dec 18, 2012, 01:59 PM »
I prefer 4 inches, but Bait Be Gone usually sends the fat guy out first to test the ice... ;D  Going through the ice is something you don't ever forget..  No Darwin awards yet..

Offline RippingLips

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #77 on: Dec 20, 2012, 09:50 PM »
3-4 in i prefer

Offline Dead Sea Cuffer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #78 on: Dec 21, 2012, 12:44 AM »
I have bellied out on 2 inches before. Pretty spooky though !!!
"The cuff is strutting his stuff"

Offline muskiewrangler

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Born to fish
« Reply #79 on: Dec 21, 2012, 01:02 AM »
Last year I was out on what I think was 2.5-3" of ice, but that was just for a day and I kind of felt uneasy at first, but got a little more comfortable as the day went on. I did however fall through the ice a couple of times before that though, one from the edge of shore when the ice was 4.5" throughout most of the lake and one time on what I though was safe ice, but I guess turned out to be 2.5". So it varied for me, but since I have alot more expensive equipment this year, 3.5-4" is when I'll be out.
Be who you are and don't listen to others that say you shouldn't. That's how life should be lived as.

Offline boss j

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • my spoons are my passion
« Reply #80 on: Dec 21, 2012, 03:07 AM »
memories of last year... 3.5 was cracking from weight come midday, 4 was solid all day. but that is staring ice, late ice was alot worse....
boss spoons, they can catch it all!!!

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #81 on: Dec 21, 2012, 03:42 AM »
I won't go out on any less than 4 inches of good clear ice.  I'd rather wait for good ice rather than taking a chance on going for a swim, it's just not worth it.

Offline Special

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Old School
« Reply #82 on: Dec 22, 2012, 01:09 AM »
OK boysen boys got a question? I've heard of horror stories of drilling holes on the ice and not getting any water. Like 5 feet between water and ice. Has anyone experienced this or is it a fishing tail?
No one left behind.     

Offline muskiewrangler

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Born to fish
« Reply #83 on: Dec 22, 2012, 01:21 AM »
OK boysen boys got a question? I've heard of horror stories of drilling holes on the ice and not getting any water. Like 5 feet between water and ice. Has anyone experienced this or is it a fishing tail?

Reminds me of a nightmare I used to have a couple seasons back.  :blink:
Be who you are and don't listen to others that say you shouldn't. That's how life should be lived as.

Offline brittlab

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • HARD WATER ROCKS
« Reply #84 on: Dec 22, 2012, 06:25 AM »
I like 4"+  been on 2-2.5" and didn't much care for that

See you on the frozen pond.......Mike

Offline Wyofarmer

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Missin' my ol' buddy
« Reply #85 on: Dec 22, 2012, 08:37 AM »
I have never heard that Special. I know a lot of old timers that have fished boysen almost from it's creation and they have never said anything to me about it. Where did you hear that?
Rest in peace Don "LT" Brewer

Offline WildOutdoorAddict

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Owner NEPL, Pro-Staff for PK Lures & Bobby Garland
« Reply #86 on: Dec 22, 2012, 09:00 AM »
4+ for me  preferably the + side even  ;D

Offline er-e-is

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #87 on: Dec 22, 2012, 09:26 AM »

I have heard that story about several lakes over the years. I have never seen it and have a hard time believing it. I did see a special on tv where the natives went under the ice during a low tide, it was scary looking.

Offline Special

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Old School
« Reply #88 on: Dec 22, 2012, 11:38 AM »
I have never heard that Special. I know a lot of old timers that have fished boysen almost from it's creation and they have never said anything to me about it. Where did you hear that?

Cant recall exactly were I have heard of it, but mostly from old timers in coffee/bait/tackle shops.
No one left behind.     

Offline flyboyroy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #89 on: Dec 22, 2012, 04:01 PM »

Cant recall exactly were I have heard of it, but mostly from old timers in coffee/bait/tackle shops.
I HAVE  heard stories   like that,  but  I  think its mostly folklore.   Ice floats, right ?   I think that by the time the water dropped 5 feet, the ice would drop, too,  and  where you would really notice it would be  where  you get on the ice.   I dont  think 4" of ice would be all that  strong   if it was  suspended in air ?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.