Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: Warm Weather?  (Read 7402 times)

Offline KeystoneICE

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
Warm Weather?
« on: Dec 08, 2006, 10:34 AM »
Do you think this warm weather will an affect on the ice conditions.  Cause I was wondering if it will still be safe by Sunday.  It does this every year gets real cold and teases you and then your out in a tee-shirt and shorts a later.   ???
Time to fish.

Offline toothfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Warm Weather?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 08, 2006, 02:45 PM »
A pond that is protected from the wind will have no problem. Lakes may be a different story .

"Central Iowa Anglers"

Offline phisherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 08, 2006, 03:15 PM »
Warm weather won't hurt the ice too bad, the only thing we have to fear is rain.  RAIN + ICE = BAD NEWS.  Sponge ice is the worst, very deceiving and it weakens the ice, I watched my friend break on through on 6" of sponge ice late season last yr.  Be safe...

Offline KeystoneICE

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #3 on: Dec 08, 2006, 11:18 PM »
Thanks, I'll watch for the sponge ice.
Time to fish.

Offline fishingking

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Dec 08, 2006, 11:27 PM »
How much ice do you guys have anyways ?? we have 2-3 " here on the real small ponds
Loose Lips Sink Ships
50,232 Members and 50,232 Lurkers.
Ego's :nono:

Offline ejensen

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 09, 2006, 07:21 AM »
I was on back water of the Mississippi yesterday and it had 5-6 inches of ice, a small but deep lake near me had 4-5 inches.

Ed

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 09, 2006, 12:39 PM »
7-8 in my neck of the woods.  Wont last long though with near 50 degree temps and wind.

Offline badgercreekfreek

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Take a kid fishing!
« Reply #7 on: Dec 09, 2006, 03:42 PM »
From the time we started today until when we got off (less than 4 hours total) our ice went from good hard black ice to a spongy/accident waiting to happen ice.  There won't be any fishing on that pond for weeks the way the weather reports look.

We did see 4 guys out on Badger Creek though so may have to hit there tomorrow before all the ice goes away.

Offline Icey Tom

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • It's as good as ICE FISHING
« Reply #8 on: Dec 09, 2006, 08:58 PM »
I FISHED 6" + ICE AT CLEAR LAKE THIS AFTERNOON.  A LITTLE WET ON TOP BUT NOT BAD.  CAUGHT SOME YELLOW BASS, CRAPPIE AND DINK WALLEYES.  SURE NICE TO BE ON THE ICE AGAIN.

TOM

Offline Oldbear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Dec 09, 2006, 09:19 PM »
I think we've had it.  All next week mid 40's with several days of possible rain .  I went out yesterday afternoon and early this AM to a pit and a farm pond.  One 17" bass is all. Both locations 4" clear ice and I figure I'm done for a while.

Offline Catchaser

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 09, 2006, 09:37 PM »
Went up to Morse and drilled some holes this afternoon. The ice was 8'' but not very good. Half air half ice. The middle of the lake was open. By the time we left it went from wet to 1" of water on top. Looks like we're a little early yet.

Offline nick858

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 10, 2006, 05:08 PM »
I was also at Morse.  As well as Corny, Elm, and Interstate.  I would not advise anyone to be on the ice now.  It was exactly as reported earlier.  Corny was open along the north shore and along a pressure ridge across the middle.  I think I could watch the open water grow the whole time we were on Morse.  And Interstate had about 4 inches of soft slushy ice with about an inch of water on top when we left.  We were looking for a Clear Lake report, thought maybe there would have been enough left there?????

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Dec 10, 2006, 07:15 PM »
Looks like this ice season is ruined before it even starts................ ....Look forward to white ice and near death experiences ;)

Offline phisherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Dec 10, 2006, 11:10 PM »
Within one weekend I think I had my first and last ice outing for '06, in the Cedar Rapids area anyway.  On Sat We had 4" - 6" on a backwater of the Cedar River and I caught a small northern and a few small crappie, by the time we left we had some slight melt off.  Sunday, we headed south to Kent Park, west of Iowa City, and we had about 4" at 8am and had water on top by noon.  We caught some decent gills, a couple crappie, and some largemouth bass.  Had a great time for the 2 days it lasted but with the weather forcast I don't think we'll be heading out again locally for at least a few more weeks.  I'd like to see and hear what happens to the ice up north at Clear Lake and Okoboji over the next week, may have to head up that way to find good ice next weekend.  Everyone going out check your ice often, here's a good chart from the old farmer's almanac for safe ice thickness: http://www.almanac.com/outdoors/safeice.php
Be safe.

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Dec 11, 2006, 02:24 AM »
There wont be any ice left on Clear lake if the weather holds true. Already getting honeycombed as we speak and 3 days of rain and wind will make it pretty sketchy. It's funny we are the only country in the world that denies global warming is happening isnt that sad????

Offline goody

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Born to fish, Forced to work!
« Reply #15 on: Dec 11, 2006, 09:09 AM »
This is the exact kind of conditions we have had in recent years....a good hard early freeze then a warm week.  What we need now is a 70* day to get rid of this nasty ice completely and let nature try again with a total reboot.  Ice that gets spongy and refreezes looses its strength considerably compared to when it was fresh.  I would rather lakes open up and refreeze than to refreeze this crap that is on them now.  My 2cents.

goody
Born to fish, forced to work!!

Des Moines, Iowa

Offline toothfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Dec 11, 2006, 09:16 AM »
Copy :'(

"Central Iowa Anglers"

Offline Oldbear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Dec 11, 2006, 09:27 AM »
Ya got that right Eric.

Offline brittlab

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • HARD WATER ROCKS
« Reply #18 on: Dec 11, 2006, 02:07 PM »
It sure looks as if we will need to start all over :(

See you on the frozen pond.......Mike

Offline Catchaser

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Dec 11, 2006, 06:18 PM »
We have lightning and thunder in Boone now. This old ice is on its way out, we need it gone so we can start over.

Offline phisherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Dec 12, 2006, 09:57 AM »
Yep, bring on the rain!  It looks like a repeat of last yr, 2 ice seasons in one, looking forward to second ice in Jan, or a trip to MN or South Dakota soon...

Offline warpig

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Dec 14, 2006, 09:21 AM »
I think that it is time for a sacrifice. I am going to burn some of my old scooneys and a dz waxies to appease the ice gods.

Offline Catchaser

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Dec 14, 2006, 07:04 PM »
Went and looked at a 7' deep pit east of Boone tonight. I was hoping most of the ice had broke up. No such luck, it was open at the aerator and pulling away from the banks. The rest of the pond was covered with very ugly ice. Wow I hope this stuff don't refreeze. >:(

Still not giving up. Waitting on a 60 dollar order of jigs ;D

Offline KeystoneICE

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #23 on: Dec 15, 2006, 01:10 AM »
So does anyone have ice?
Time to fish.

Offline Oldbear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Dec 15, 2006, 08:48 AM »
Only place I've seen ice is in the bottom of my Schnapps glass.

Offline BojiHawk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I just don't have a healthy fear of...anything.
« Reply #25 on: Dec 15, 2006, 11:59 AM »
NE Nebraska - Maskenthine

Had 6" of good ice last Sat (12-9)...now I'm not so sure the night temps are rebuilding the damage done by the daytime warmth.  The tree areas are probably heart-attackers...might have some good stuff on the south side in the shallower bays.  I'll find out tomorrow...what the heck...I'm trying it...smartly
STRIKELITE 4-STROKE, POLARIS 800 X2, OTTER OUTDOORS, FL-12, FORD F-150, ST. CROIX, HERITAGE LAKER AND FRABILL THERMAL TIPUPS, STRIKEMASTER BIBS AND PARKA, MR BUDDY, LOWRANCE H2O, AQUA VIEW XL, MARCUM PANNING TRIPOD, AND FATTIES.

Offline Catchaser

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Dec 15, 2006, 05:26 PM »
Boone area is shot.

Offline brittlab

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • HARD WATER ROCKS
« Reply #27 on: Dec 15, 2006, 06:48 PM »
Only place I've seen ice is in the bottom of my Schnapps glass.

Good one :)

See you on the frozen pond.......Mike

Offline Catchaser

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Dec 15, 2006, 08:58 PM »
How far north does the rotten ice go? A truck driver in at work today said the warm weather was working the ice over bad in the twin city area.

Offline nick858

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Dec 16, 2006, 03:45 AM »
The Mississippi in Red wing has no ice. ;)  I guess Ill get the boat out again.  This weather sucks.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.