The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Ice Fishing Near Kalispell/Whitefish???  (Read 10641 times)

Offline icebugler

• Team IceShanty Regular
Ice Fishing Near Kalispell/Whitefish???
« on: Jan 17, 2007, 01:16 AM »
hey just wonderin if any of you guys are from this area and if anyone has been fishin. i live up in whitefish during the winter and have spent a fair amount of time on the ice so far. happy to say that whitefish lake has 4+ inches of ice and was lucky enough to catch a laker tonight. if anyone is from around here let me know.
good fishin and STAY WARM OUT THERE

Offline perchin

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Ice Fishing Near Kalispell/Whitefish???
« Reply #1 on: Jan 18, 2007, 08:37 AM »
Hi icebugler! I live 18 miles up 93 from you near Lower stillwater.

Offline gregv17

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 19, 2007, 10:19 AM »
Hi,  I am outside of Columbia Falls. Been fishing quite a lot so far. Blanchard, Beaver, Ashley, Thompson lakes, etc. Been catching a little of almost everything but not lots of anything. Might try again in a day or two. Will try to give some kind of reports periodically for anyone else who might be around the area.

Offline perchin

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 19, 2007, 03:11 PM »
Hi,  I am outside of Columbia Falls. Been fishing quite a lot so far. Blanchard, Beaver, Ashley, Thompson lakes, etc. Been catching a little of almost everything but not lots of anything. Might try again in a day or two. Will try to give some kind of reports periodically for anyone else who might be around the area.
Hi gregv17 :) I went over to middle thompson to prefish this last monday for the kicking horse derby and did decent on perch. mostly been hitting lower stillwater but thats been real slow.

Offline icebugler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 22, 2007, 02:55 AM »
alright good to hear that there are some other locals runnin around on this site. since my last post i have mostly been on blanchard tryin to catch those crappies after dark, so far i've had some good nights and some really bad ones. also hit spencer and couldnt but a perch bite out there. never had that happen before, usually i cant keep em off. did catch a little pike though. hit whitefish lake as well but just missed the bite one mid morning. talked to a couple other guys who fished from about 8 am till noon and each caught about 6 or 7 each out but the state park access. thats all i have for now, any new words to be spread.

Offline perchin

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 22, 2007, 04:45 PM »
Well, did the Kicking horse Derby,went for perch and they were a tough bite there. Won a small door prize and met some new ice fishers, was pretty fun :) Perchin has been tough all over from what I see and hear, icebugler,don't take it personal.  :-\

Offline gregv17

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 23, 2007, 10:54 AM »
Hey, what is the deal with those crappies at Blanchard?  I have tried for them numerous times with no success.  I have caught perch, bluegill/pumpkinseed, and pike out of there but never a crappie. I have tried both day and night and all over the lake. Sure would like a few of them for a meal or two.

Offline icebugler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 24, 2007, 02:01 AM »
well the biggest thing with the crappie is you need to have a vexilar or some kind of fish finder. the fish really beigin to move right as the sun is goin down. i usually go out about an hour or longer before sunset just to get set up or in the right spot. but i have most of my luck on the very south end of the lake either on the west shore or the east. target depth varies alot, lately its been about 17-18 feet and the fish suspend between 1 1/2 ft. to 3+ off the bottom. make sure your jigs are always glowing otherwise the fish are less interested. but really its a matter of finding them. and of course the maggots too. good luck. cant wait to get on the ice again.

ninepipe

« Reply #8 on: Jan 24, 2007, 10:53 AM »
Have only caught them at the south end of the lake and on either side as previosuly mentioned.  The vexilar is critical as then can by at any depth when they finally show up.  I have also noticed that there is so many bugs in the water that the vexilar becomes very cluttered and it can be difficult at times to see a  crappie on the display.  I have caught them on a jig that is constantly moving  and on a dead stick. Watch close on the dead stick as you will only see the line move and nothing else. 

Offline gregv17

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 24, 2007, 05:47 PM »
Thanks guys.  Don't have a vex but maybe can work on the wife for agreement to another toy. Let's see, that would make a boat, motorcycle, ice shack, snowmobile, guns, bow, ski equipment. What could be the problem with another 4 bills for a flasher I use 3 months a year? No Problem.  I am going to keep trying for those crappies even without one though.  Maybe I will see you out there sometime. I have a Eskimo Quick Flip II. It has my name on an orange card on the front. Come knock on the door sometime if you see it.

Offline Neptune

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "The Kokanee Killers"
« Reply #10 on: Jan 29, 2007, 10:58 AM »
You guys fish anything other than Crappie? 

I have been to the following:

Beaver Lake twice, ice 12-14", caught 11 total Kokanee
Swan Lake once, ice 14-16", got skunked(guy I was with caught 2 small Northerns)
Whitefish Lake, ice 7-9", tried to jig a laker but got skunked

This is my first year Ice fishing and I'm trying to figure out the better places to go...I keep hearing that Skyles lake is pretty good for Pike, but I don't know if there is public access there...

later,

Offline perchin

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 29, 2007, 12:44 PM »
Neptune, Whatcha looking for? Certain fish, lots of fish?

Offline Neptune

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "The Kokanee Killers"
« Reply #12 on: Jan 29, 2007, 02:20 PM »
Neptune, Whatcha looking for? Certain fish, lots of fish?

Sorry about not being specific...I really just like to catch fish, but I am particularly fond of Trout(including Lakers) and I still haven't caught a Northern, and I'd really like to catch one of them buggers through the ice!!!

Offline icebugler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 29, 2007, 11:35 PM »
ive been out on whitefish 2 times this year, both times from the state park access. i caught 1 fish the firts time and that was en evening trip, the other was mid-morning and had nothin. i havnt really been fishing anywhere else though, i try spencer now and again for perch and northerns but havnt caught anything with size. the pike are pretty easy to catch there though. i havnt been to skyles but im pretty sure there is an access, i see plenty of people fishin it from time to time. i think im gona head out on whitefish in the morning, will leave a post when im done. and if any you guys are out on the ice, especiall blanchard and you see a FRABILL RECON, single man shack, it should be me. come on over and say hello. good luck

Offline Neptune

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "The Kokanee Killers"
« Reply #14 on: Jan 30, 2007, 03:48 PM »
I may give skyles a try this weekend and see if I can get a pike....

May be over at Beaver also catchin' Kokes...

Let us know if you hook into 'em at Whitefish!!!

Offline perchin

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Jan 30, 2007, 05:27 PM »
You guys fish anything other than Crappie? 

I have been to the following:

Beaver Lake twice, ice 12-14", caught 11 total Kokanee
Swan Lake once, ice 14-16", got skunked(guy I was with caught 2 small Northerns)
Whitefish Lake, ice 7-9", tried to jig a laker but got skunked

This is my first year Ice fishing and I'm trying to figure out the better places to go...I keep hearing that Skyles lake is pretty good for Pike, but I don't know if there is public access there...

later,

As far as Beaver is concerned, I had the same results you did the first few times I went after the kokes there,was using the standard pink flasher and glow hook dropper and we were not doing very well, so, my fishing buddy tried something kinda oddball he already had set up for perch and he proceeded to clean my clock and its worked well every time since. A sunfish pattern forage minnow spoon flasher with a glow orange rat finkee w/ white maggot(chum with oatmeal as usuall). The Skyles access is right at that house near the highway w/ the high fence,bear right at the fence then left at the first fork. If you want a chance at lakers and pike on the same lake w/ decent access then I suggest lower stillwater. lakers run 2-4# and pike to 15(but rare)more of an average 5-6#. Lakers on a small glow green something and pike on a tip up w/smelt and a quick strike rig. There is a tackle shop in Olney(Thads Tackle) and he has alot of icefishing stuff thats pretty unique. Another lake that has big bows and kokes is bull up by stryker.  :tipup:

Offline Neptune

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "The Kokanee Killers"
« Reply #16 on: Jan 31, 2007, 12:31 AM »
Perchin,

Have you fished Bull Lake(I'm assuming you mean the one up by Libby)... 

With regards to the rig you mentioned for Beaver who makes the flasher you spoke of?

Offline perchin

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Jan 31, 2007, 01:58 PM »
Yup, have fished bull, not this year but a buddy of mine has recently. The trout like deadly dicks and the kokes like a bright pink swedish pimple with a pink glow hook dropper. This is the one by stryker on the way to eureka from whitefish.I believe northland makes the flasher.

Offline icebugler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Feb 01, 2007, 02:18 AM »
hit whitefish the other day with no luck, fished off of state park again with a group of about 6 or 8. saw a coupla guys catch 1 each. i only has time for a quick hour, didnt see as much on the vex as i hoped. does anyone fish here? if so do you go bay point, or glenwood area. i see many people over there and was curious. then did an evening on blanchard, caught 1 perch and 3 sunnies before dark, then stuggled to find the crappie. eventually did and only caught 4. all were pretty good fish so it was a good evening. gonna try and early mornin somewhere, will post again with a report.

oh yea, laker lures???? what do you guys use? i have been using smaller zimmer jigs, like trilobites and lead-a-gators with cut bait on the end. it doesnt seem to be workin very well. saw some guys using big jig/sofbait combos with cut bait......need some help

Offline perchin

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Feb 01, 2007, 08:00 AM »
icebugler,I have not fished whitefish lake but everybody that I know that does fish the other end. I usually do pretty well for lakers with a 3/8 oz bullet jig rigged inside a 4-5 " white power tube(also W/ glow plastic and small piece cutbait on hook). Or a chartuese or glow flyer and a 2-3 inch ribbontail powerbait or cutbait works also.

Offline Neptune

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "The Kokanee Killers"
« Reply #20 on: Feb 01, 2007, 09:16 AM »
Icebugler,

I used the same gear you did trying to get lakers off the state park and had the same results.  A guy I fish with who has caught fish there uses a 3/4 ounce leadhead and white Mr. Twister or Power Tubes like Perchin suggested.

I haven't tried that yet, and also some guys use smelt or herring floated about a foot off the bottom on a tip up or bobber rig.  I haven't tried this method either.

I have a neighbor who swears that the north end of the lake is where to go, but I haven't tried yet...

Offline icebugler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Feb 01, 2007, 08:58 PM »
last year when i fished the lake i was on the north end, kinda off houston point. only fished for coupla hours and caught a couple. some people i know that fish there said they have done pretty well so far. i think im goin to have to get rigged up with some of the jig/tail combos before i go out again. do you guys use your own cutbait (suckers or squaw) or do you just cut up smelt. i bought some stuff from sportsmans and im pretty sure it was just cut up smelt. got the morning for fishin tomorrow and still debating on where to go. will post on any action.

Offline perchin

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Feb 01, 2007, 09:26 PM »
I will use sucker if I have the choice, but any will work. ;)

Offline Neptune

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "The Kokanee Killers"
« Reply #23 on: Feb 02, 2007, 04:37 PM »
Bugler,

I'm going to hit Skyles and Slater tomorrow morning and try to get my first Pike through the ice...

Haven't decided on where I'll go on Sunday yet...

Let us know if you go up to the North end of Whitefish Lake and how you do, I'm real currious...

Good Fishing! :tipup:

Offline icebugler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Feb 04, 2007, 10:34 PM »
went to blanchard again all day on friday. no good at all, lookin for perch and found em but i couldnt buy a bite. caught 6 in 8 hours. didnt go to whitefish yet, not gonna be able to fish for a bit but will post when i get out again.

Offline perchin

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Feb 05, 2007, 04:11 PM »
Well My fishing buddy and I are heading to upper stillwater in the morning for a mess of perch(2 cats pulling an otter sled) come over and say hi if you are up here. :)

Offline Neptune

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "The Kokanee Killers"
« Reply #26 on: Feb 06, 2007, 09:34 AM »
Well I went to Spencer lake for about 4 hours on Saturday and hooked up on 5 Pike, saw 3 in the hole  and only got 1 on the ice, but man was I jazzed.  That was my first Pike EVER!!! ;D

Sunday I went to Beaver lake for a couple hours and got some nice Kokes, then to Lower Stillwater for a couple hours to try for some Perch and Pike and got nothing.  Then went to Skyles and got two Hammer handle size Pike while jigging for Perch and about 4 dinky Perch for Pike bait.

So all in all a productive weekend.

Oh I gotta ask you guys, do you ever fish for Pike in Blanchard.  MT FWP says there are Pike in there, and there is certainly alot of food with all the Perch and Crappie in there...

Good Fishing All :tipup:

Offline gregv17

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Feb 06, 2007, 10:52 AM »
Yes there are pike in Blanchard. I have done ok on them there this winter. Largest about 6 lbs. Funny thing is I have got them all on little jigs like one would use for perch or crappie. Not one on a tip up or jigging rap. Was there last night and got into a few crappie down on the south end. How deep were you for the kokanee at Beaver? I have not had much success up there this year for the salmon. A few nice trout but no salmon. Maybe see you on the ice sometime.

Offline floopus64

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Feb 06, 2007, 02:22 PM »
Pardon my ignorance, but where is the public access for the north end of Whitefish Lake? ???

By-the-way, Icebugler, I was also at Blanchard on Friday for a couple hours.  Nine perch in 2 hours.

Offline Neptune

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "The Kokanee Killers"
« Reply #29 on: Feb 06, 2007, 03:09 PM »
Yes there are pike in Blanchard. I have done ok on them there this winter. Largest about 6 lbs. Funny thing is I have got them all on little jigs like one would use for perch or crappie. Not one on a tip up or jigging rap. Was there last night and got into a few crappie down on the south end. How deep were you for the kokanee at Beaver? I have not had much success up there this year for the salmon. A few nice trout but no salmon. Maybe see you on the ice sometime.

Greg, what were you using for bait on your tip up?  A guy I have been fishing with told me there are lakes like Skyles and Blanchard that if you use smelt or sucker for Pike, you won't get many hits, but if you use perch which they see all the time you will do much better...Don't know but maybe worth a shot.  Have you tried fishing pike in the morning on Blanchard? 

Beaver is a tricky lake (I've been told) to catch Kokes on.  My buddy made the attractors we are using and they resemble the color of a Koke in the water then we use a 4 inch dropper with a Rattso or Ratfink in Pink with pink maggots...pink shrimp fly works sometimes also...you should be able to catch them in anywhere from 15-60 feet deep depends where they are.....and you have to Zoom the whole!!!   ;D

Fish On Scholars!    :tipup:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.