Author Topic: Perch in ponds  (Read 1749 times)

Offline iceman10

• Team IceShanty Regular
Perch in ponds
« on: Feb 18, 2010, 08:23 PM »
You always here don t stock Yellow Perch into your pond that they will over take the pond & become stunted heck its even in the pond management book put out by the state (Indiana).I know that i have caught some nice perch out of some small water & the Indiana state record is from a pit in Vigo county , also know that Taxi has some rearing ponds  1/2 acre that hold some nice fish.I know of two places to buy stocking size perch ,but how many would you buy & put into a 7 acre pond that has 30 foot of water & a long flat at one end of the pond.The places you can buy the stockers just say they are yellow perch ,how can you tell if they would become Jumbo s or not ?

Offline Fishrmn

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Prayin' for sub-zero temps.
Re: Perch in ponds
« Reply #1 on: Feb 20, 2010, 09:25 PM »
The ones you stock will probably grow very large.  When they spawn, their offspring will probably over run the available food supply and stunt.  Kinda hard to get rid of them once they are in there though.

Fishrmn
Fishrmn

"I tolerate with the utmost latitude the right of others to differ from me in opinion." Thomas Jefferson

Offline BucksNDucks

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 23, 2010, 06:43 PM »
what other fish are already in the pond? predators?
See ya on the ice!!! Go Packers!!!

Offline Bullgills

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 23, 2010, 07:06 PM »
You can succsessfully stock yellow perch in a pond and grow them out, if your willing to do some things to your pond, and to your fish. First you must tell yourself what your goals are for a perch fishery though, and we can go from their..

Offline iceman10

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 27, 2010, 09:11 AM »
Right now there are some Very huge largemouth,Redears & Bull gills .Thanks for the PM Bullgills ;).This project will begin after ice off!!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.