Author Topic: FL 18 ice ducer?  (Read 349 times)

Offline AyrshireBoy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • lucky to go
FL 18 ice ducer?
« on: Nov 20, 2015, 11:54 AM »
I just got a new FL 18 with standard 12 degree ducer.  I also have a FL 8se with standard 19 degree ducer.  I will be now using the 8 as backup or for someone else to use while with me.  I mainly fish 10'-20' of water but will find myself sitting over 30' depending on where I'm at.  I'm thinking about putting the 19 degree ducer on the 18 so I can see a bigger area when fishing shallow but wasn't sure how that would effect the zoom when in 30' or deeper.  Anyone else do this? Or should I leave the 12 degree on the 18?

Thanks!
Take a kid fishing!

Offline Old Goat

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: FL 18 ice ducer?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 20, 2015, 12:11 PM »
I'd leave the 12 on.

Offline holehopper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Me and Dave Genz
« Reply #2 on: Nov 20, 2015, 12:20 PM »
I'd try it out and see what you think.  In my mind, there are only 2 potential downsides to a wider cone angle.  First, if you are fishing with someone else, wider cone angles can result in more interference for both of you.  It is manageable, but it is more prevalant the wider your angle.

Second, if you are fishing steep drop offs, a wider cone angle can actually be worse than a narrower angle.  The reason being that wherever the cone intersects with the structure, you won't be able to see anything below that.  Other than that, if you are fishing in areas without steep drop offs, the 19 should give you a little more coverage area.  There are charts out on the Vexilar site that show you how much more coverage you are getting based on your cone angle and water depth.  The deeper the water, the more difference the cone angle makes. I'd try it out and see what you think.  If you really want to get creative, get yourself a Vexilar switchbox.  That will allow you to have 2 transducers with one Vex and you can toggle between the two transducers. 
Never Stop Never Stopping

Offline AyrshireBoy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • lucky to go
« Reply #3 on: Nov 20, 2015, 12:45 PM »
Thanks for the input guys.  I think I'll leave the 12 on, if I know I'm going to be spending the day pond hopping (usually 10' of water) then I'll just take my 8.
come on ice!!
Take a kid fishing!

Offline dsqui

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Nov 20, 2015, 07:22 PM »
i have the triducer on my fl 20 and find i leave it on 20* 90 percent of the time.  i like the wider angle

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.