Author Topic: Big boots  (Read 1380 times)

Offline thomasthepikehunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Big boots
« on: Feb 03, 2014, 03:34 PM »
Has anyone ever found a good size 14+ boot? I can't seem to find any. They have to be made in U.S.A. or Canada (preferably U.S.A), and size 16. Even better would be size 16 wide. I like taller boots, but don't care that much. I also like pac boots, but I can get by with any style. The warmer the better. It seems I can only have a made in U.S.A. boot in size 16, or a made in U.S.A boot that is warm. There are no size 16 winter boots made in U.S.A. that I can find.
-Tom

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Big boots
« Reply #1 on: Feb 04, 2014, 09:27 AM »
Since writing the post I may have found something. Georgia boots offers an Arctic toe with 1000 gram of thinsulate in up to size 18. That may finally be what I get. Another thing I have considered, I can't find anyone crazy enough who has tried it. Get a cheaper boot a size larger than you wear, and just buy a liner from say Sorrel, and stuff it in there. I know I can find made in U.S.A. basic work boots in size 17. If I stuff a size 16 pac liner, I'm good to go. Or have I lost it. :o
-Tom

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 05, 2014, 05:09 PM »
I can't be that big can I? A size 16 seems to be unheard of. Carolina does not offer that boot in over size 13. I found something close, Danner makes a 800 gram thinsulate in size 16 medium. I'll pay anything, cost is not that much of a concern with something that should last 20 years. Why can I not find one pair of USA boots in 16 wide? Not even custom shops will do it. The best I've found is a company that will cut insulation out of a 15 to make a 16 medium.
-Tom

Offline UFCreel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 12, 2014, 07:06 AM »
Have bought new liners for my sorrels and I cut the bottoms out of the old ones. Use them under the new liner.
Flags up! Bobbers down!

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 12, 2014, 08:41 PM »
Sorrel is made in china, I am not buying any of their products.
-Tom

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #5 on: Feb 12, 2014, 08:45 PM »
As to using "Double Liners", I have done it in the past and it work great... I too have a hard time finding boots, I take a size 12, but a 6E, extra Wide most often does not cut it...

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Feb 12, 2014, 09:57 PM »
I've found one usa made boot in size 16 wide, and its nearly $300. Maybe in the future, but not now. I'm just going to limp my current kamik's along as long as I can. BTW kamik makes great boots, made in USA and canada. They now only make up to size 15 however.
-Tom

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Mar 05, 2014, 07:42 PM »
So thats it? I have the choice of a $300 super warm antarctica rated boot, or very few un-insulated work boots? Surly there must be a $100-$150 waterproof hunting boot. I'm very resistant to cold, all it needs is some insulation, made in USA, and size 16.
-Tom

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.