The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: do musky's taste good?  (Read 4535 times)

Offline clayboy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
do musky's taste good?
« on: Jan 21, 2021, 10:00 AM »
do you eat muskys and do they taste good? I always just photo and release but just wondering. I mean not everything needs to go back in the drink.  whats worse seeing a fish laying on the shore because it couldn't get revived or taking it home and paying respect to the fish by consumption?

Offline fisher 74

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: do musky's taste good?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 21, 2021, 10:42 AM »
I ate one once, its similar to pike but not as good, I would just recommend catch and release, I didn't think it was good enough to keep, now if one didn't look like it was gonna swim away I wouldn't hesitate to take one home

Offline dsupercat

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 21, 2021, 11:49 AM »
Dad would always grill them in vermouth from what I remember they were good.   

Offline jaeger80

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 21, 2021, 12:42 PM »
There's a special place in h3ll for those who keep muskies...

Offline clayboy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 21, 2021, 12:50 PM »
wow. will they be there with trout fisherman? or the guys who kept bass? does hell have good ice?  :o :tipup:

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #5 on: Jan 21, 2021, 01:07 PM »
There's a special place in h3ll for those who judge the actions of others...

Fixed. 

Offline aquarium234

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 21, 2021, 01:16 PM »
Practical standpoint they just accumulate too many toxins to really be safe to eat anymore, as a top predator their usually full of pcb, or mercury. Any big fish is best let go as usually toxic, and most minimum size for muskie is very large. IF You like to eat fish eat ch the smaller ones that aren't going to poison you in any fish species. PLus big ones lay more eggs to give you more to catch next time with great genetics :-),
Cheers, if it was going to die I understand eating it. But wouldn't target giant fish in any species to eat.
Its all fun and games until someone loses a walleye.......

Offline fisher 74

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 21, 2021, 01:34 PM »
There's a special place in h3ll for those who keep muskies...
every time someone acts like this makes me wanna keep every fish I catch, you buy a license you can keep whatever you want long as its legal. Jauger80 just because of that next musky I catch is going in the oven with lemon pepper and butter

Offline clayboy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 21, 2021, 02:15 PM »
got to go off topic but what are stocked trout for in pa? they cant take the warm water so what is the purpose?

Offline 1MOFISH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • The ice is always safe are you in ???????????????
« Reply #9 on: Jan 21, 2021, 02:32 PM »
do you eat muskys and do they taste good? I always just photo and release but just wondering. I mean not everything needs to go back in the drink.  whats worse seeing a fish laying on the shore because it couldn't get revived or taking it home and paying respect to the fish by consumption?
AAAAAHHHHH logaperch,the early pioneers ate them to survive the founding of our GREAT COUNTRY.i have never eatin one but if the ice dont come soon might put one in the freezer.as for ice in HELL,its not mentioned but there is ice in the HEAVENS.most guys dont like fish, they bread them,fry them,season them etc.you need to eat just cooked fish.yum o just downed a can o tuna and thinking about a a sardine chaser lol
GOD BLESS
mo
LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART AND SOUL AND STRENGTH and'LOVE THY NEiGHBOR AS THYSELF'   GOD

Offline 41ford

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 21, 2021, 02:56 PM »
Baked a pike whole in Canada just flaked meat off bones like a trout. Not the worst fish I ate. Next day we found mice nests in the broiler.

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #11 on: Jan 21, 2021, 03:12 PM »
Any fish of legal size that you know won’t make it after release should be taken home..   JMO
 That’s what happened to this pike last week.  Other wise it would have gone back...

Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline Boogerhook

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 21, 2021, 04:17 PM »
Anyway, like I was sayin', musky is the fruit of the sea. You can barbecue it, boil it, broil it, bake it, saute it. Dey's uh, musky-kabobs, musky creole, musky gumbo. Pan fried, deep fried, stir-fried. There's pineapple musky, lemon musky, coconut musky, pepper musky ,musky soup, musky stew, musky salad, musky and potatoes, musky burger, musky sandwich. That- that's about it.

Offline beerduck

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • beer and fish nut
« Reply #13 on: Jan 21, 2021, 05:20 PM »
gotta chime in  few years back caught a 44 inch 22 lb purebread  hooked deep it would have needed a plunger to back down the hole and was bleeding so had to keep  long story short i was out fishing  the whole night into the next day so i called a buddy to see if he wanted it he said yea but i said it would be froze solid  i told him he could put it in the bath tub in cool water to thaw and so he did 2 days later his wife called b***hin at me not because of the thawing method its that he dropped it coming down the steps to the kitchen slime everywhere   he did say he got 10 lbs of meat off of it though and this is a true story

Online ActiveTrapChecker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jan 21, 2021, 05:59 PM »
Any fish of legal size that you know won’t make it after release should be taken home..   JMO
 That’s what happened to this pike last week.  Other wise it would have gone back...

Agree 150%

Offline FISHHUNTER80

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • GET THE GAFF!!!
« Reply #15 on: Jan 21, 2021, 06:07 PM »
I ate one that after catching it by accident striper fishing that went belly up. Baked it like a pike. The good was the meat receded some after cooking and the large Y bones were easy to see and remove. The bad was if you think Pike taste to strong you won't like Musky. It's a tad stronger. Still better that most cheaply priced ocean fish at the grocery store. Pollock isn't fit for human consumption. Also if you do cook a large Pike or Musky remove the belly meat as thats where most all toxins are if there were any present.

Offline jaeger80

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Jan 21, 2021, 06:07 PM »
Jeez some of you kids need to lighten up, I was being facetious.  Given the keeper length for a musky is 40", I feel that the muskies are pretty safe.

Online HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Jan 21, 2021, 06:20 PM »
Never tried one personally but have heard they are delicious. Thanks for the extra motivation to eat one jaeger80

Offline jaeger80

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Jan 21, 2021, 06:30 PM »
Enjoy, bud!

Offline ddgst7

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Check out my IG @perfect_drifter412
« Reply #19 on: Jan 21, 2021, 06:50 PM »
Jeez some of you kids need to lighten up.  Given the keeper length for a musky is 40", I feel that the muskies are pretty safe.

LOL I was just thinking the same thing, people talking on here like they're out there banging musky regularly.

Keeping a musky or any fish that's going to die is a different story, keeping a healthy musky that could be released is just a bit irresponsible if you call yourself an angler (ya ya ya I get it, you bought your license) but releasing that fish goes along way. They aren't going to breed as well as the other fish, bass, crappie, perch, pickerel, ect and I've read there is barely any natural reproduction. They also balance out the ecosystem of the lake and control the panfish. Any die hard musky angler won't even fish for them in the summer months when the water temperature reaches above 77 degrees due to the high mortality rate during the fight in high water temperatures. 

Don't even get me started on the trout stocking program, what a waste of money.  Let's spend millions stocking 8" fish so a bunch of googans can flood the local stream and choke them with powerbait and allow them to get freezer burned after eating one on opening day.  Such a joke.

I've always been intrigued in slot limits and unsure why the fish commission doesn't implement them on some lakes.  For example, harvest bass only in the 15-18" range, anything bigger or smaller let em go. 
Army Vet OEF 2012-2014
Clam Nanook XL Thermal
Haat Custom Rods
Mags Custom Rods

Offline malinoep

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Jan 22, 2021, 03:08 AM »
I do not like them

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #21 on: Jan 22, 2021, 04:06 AM »
nothing wrong with eating smaller ones. unless toxins are a concern. bigger ones are a bit off like most fish.  catch n release should be an individuals decision to make.  to be catch n release 100% isn't necessary.  more fish swimming around than some think.  a guy and a pole can hardly make a dent.

real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline jaeger80

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Jan 22, 2021, 07:11 AM »
got to go off topic but what are stocked trout for in pa? they cant take the warm water so what is the purpose?

$$$ for the PFBC.  All about the Benjamin's...  Just like deer are the cash register of the PGC...

Offline fisher 74

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Jan 22, 2021, 07:53 AM »
muskies are stocked every year buy a voluntary musky stamp, and keep a couple

Offline ddgst7

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Jan 22, 2021, 08:09 AM »
More power to ya if you like eating below average fish and deboning them. Steak guy myself. I’m an angler not a fisherman, I just angle
Army Vet OEF 2012-2014
Clam Nanook XL Thermal
Haat Custom Rods
Mags Custom Rods

Offline fisher 74

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Jan 22, 2021, 09:14 AM »
you gotta debone every fish, i just hate hypocrites who keep stripers, crappies, perch, walleyes etc, but then if someone keeps a bass or muskie those people wanna come burn your house down, because they think its just wrong to keep those fish

Offline jaeger80

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Jan 22, 2021, 10:04 AM »
That's ok... You'll show them by keeping every fish you catch... just like you said.  ;D

Offline ddgst7

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Jan 22, 2021, 10:09 AM »
Honestly I get lazy after a hard day of fishing, I go pretty hard out there, usually staying on the ice for almost
12 hours, smoking my vitamins  ;D I’m never in a desire to clean any fish, little lazy when I get home. Wish I had more patience in that regard, I only keep a few for some nuggies. If anyone wants to offer me some fish on the ice I won’t refuse :)
Army Vet OEF 2012-2014
Clam Nanook XL Thermal
Haat Custom Rods
Mags Custom Rods

Offline fisher 74

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Jan 22, 2021, 10:31 AM »
That's ok... You'll show them by keeping every fish you catch... just like you said.  ;D
just shows how stupid you are can't even read, I never said I was going to keep every fish I catch, I said when guys like you make comments like your going hell because someone kept a legally caught fish, it makes me wanna keep all the fish I catch just because guys like you are normally hypocrites, who keep certain species but others you believe its wrong to keep, then you go and bash on a guy for keeping a fish that you believe is wrong to keep

Offline jaeger80

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #29 on: Jan 22, 2021, 11:04 AM »
Bro, take a xanax.

I'm sorry if I hurt anyone's feelings by making a JOKE.  Jeez, some of you guys are super sensitive about this topic.  So to clarify:

1.  I do not think that anyone who eats a musky is going to h3ll.

2. I would never kill or eat a musky if at all possible to keep it alive, but that is my choice.  I'm not going to "burn your house down" if you do it either.  I do not understand it, but I honestly don't care.  Also, if you catch a big fish and you try to revive it but can't and choose to eat it rather than waste it, I think that's commendable.  I think most of us have been there.

3.  I never once "BASHED"  you or anyone else in this thread or any other threads that I've posted.  You are the one making comments using words like "hypocrite" and "stupid".  Point of fact.

So, like I said, I apologize if I hurt your or anyone else's feelings by saying you'll go to hell if you eat a musky. I didn't realize you would take it so literal.  So fisher 74...friends?  ...buds?  ....pals?  Bury the hatchet?...truce?   

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.