Author Topic: Fluro.  (Read 1259 times)

Offline klbeeks

• Team IceShanty Addict
Fluro.
« on: Nov 28, 2013, 08:27 PM »
Plan on switching over to flurocarbon line on one setup for a finicky panfish bite.  Anyone have any good suggestions?  Is there is huge difference between 100% fluro and just fluro coated line?
Fish On'

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Fluro.
« Reply #1 on: Nov 28, 2013, 08:48 PM »
The primary Flurocarbon I use for ice fishing is ASSO (Micron, Super and Invisible) line from Your Bobbers Down

Offline boder

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Nov 28, 2013, 08:50 PM »
I prefer the co polymer. But use flouro leaders with braided line. I use P-line with no complaints.

Offline SoDakdick

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Nov 28, 2013, 09:04 PM »
I use Suffix Floro and it work for me.
Keep your stick on the ice we are all in this together.

Offline waltman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Nov 28, 2013, 09:49 PM »
TRY VANISH FLURO

Offline SeisMec

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I'd rather be fishing!
« Reply #5 on: Nov 28, 2013, 09:53 PM »
TRY VANISH FLURO

Have the 10# test on my custom rod, like it so far.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #6 on: Nov 28, 2013, 09:54 PM »
The primary Flurocarbon I use for ice fishing is ASSO (Micron, Super and Invisible) line from Your Bobbers Down

thats all i use, when i go fluorocarbon for leaders

assos is only lines i use

Offline J_Edwards

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Nov 28, 2013, 11:44 PM »
My opinions of fluro are this. 

I love Seaguar Invisx.  I use it open water and ice. 

Asso is a dang good line as well, I bought a couple spools last winter to try and really like it.  If I didn't have to order it, I would use it more.

P-Line is tolerable, but stay away from their pure fluorocarbons, they are pretty coily.

Vanish is the worst fluro I've ever used, I'd fish fish with just about anything else before I'd that.

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #8 on: Nov 29, 2013, 04:03 AM »
I use Suffix Floro and it work for me.

Suffix works for me.

WS

Offline belowzero

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Nov 29, 2013, 06:34 AM »
I use Invisx for leader, and I like it a lot

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #10 on: Nov 29, 2013, 08:09 AM »
Vanish is the worst fluro I've ever used, I'd fish fish with just about anything else before I'd that.

X2

Offline grizzlyhackle

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Nov 29, 2013, 08:14 AM »
Northland Bionic Ice Fluorosilk, probably will never go with a different line for pannies

Offline Seedtree

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The older I get, the better I was.
« Reply #12 on: Nov 29, 2013, 07:14 PM »
I've used Vanish with good success.  The thing is to follow the directions on tying knots.  Cinching a knot down creates friction, which creats heat, which destroy all fishing lines.  Esp Floro.  Wet the knot down with spit or water multiple times as you cinch it down - floro is known for being picky for this.

Offline tazdevil300

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Nov 29, 2013, 08:21 PM »
    Suffix works for me.

WS
I agree Vanish worst line ever used and it doesn't matter on knots tied the same way with seagur invisi line and had no problem.I was being cheap buying Vanish but spend extra money for a premium line its worth it.

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #14 on: Nov 29, 2013, 09:05 PM »
Seedtree, first I know for a fact that Berkley changes the formula of their lines with out letting the customer know (They put all that money into marketing it). Second, I do know how to tie a knot and Vanish would often pop just tying a Bimini, A knot that put almost no stress on the line. And maybe the current formula is better than the junk that I used in the past, why would I want to use a line that was so "delicate" that I had to wet the line twice when tightening a knot... If you are happy with it great, but I and MANY others will use better quality flouro for our fishing needs.

Offline J_Edwards

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Nov 29, 2013, 10:18 PM »
I also know how to tie a knot.  My issues are not even knot issues.  I don't like the memory, resistance to abrasions or just about anything about the line in anyway way shape or form.

Offline delta9

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hard water is great
« Reply #16 on: Nov 29, 2013, 10:37 PM »
Huh I have only used vanish ever and have been happy, or more so dumb and happy. I haven't respooled yet for this season, I thinks I'll be checking out some other brands. Here's a question, open water I have been using 8# line, should I stay with it or would 6# be better? And I do know how to set a drag. I should mention I mainly target wally and perch.
:icefish:

Offline J_Edwards

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Nov 29, 2013, 10:49 PM »
I use 4lb for waters where I could be fishing the same area for perch and eyes.  If it's just perch, I'll just use 2lb at times.  If they're is a good chance on catching some real pig eyes, I might push it to 8lbs, but I'd probably just stick to 6lb. 

Offline jchunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Nov 29, 2013, 11:02 PM »
Huh I have only used vanish ever and have been happy, or more so dumb and happy. I haven't respooled yet for this season, I thinks I'll be checking out some other brands. Here's a question, open water I have been using 8# line, should I stay with it or would 6# be better? And I do know how to set a drag. I should mention I mainly target wally and perch.

For perch 3 or 4 lb would be what I'd use. I don't see a need to have much stronger line for them where I fish. Walleye's I use 6lb flouro leaders unless I'm fishing where 5 plus pound walleye's are common like Green Bay for example. Then I would up it to 8lb. If you have a good drag and it's set good you shouldn't need to go any heavier for perch and eyes.

Offline Corey Bechtold

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Nov 29, 2013, 11:35 PM »
"Tri"lene came out with there 100% Fluorocarbon and that is by far their best Fluoro line to date! 

Give it a try!

Corey Bechtold

Offline BRIFISH

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Nov 30, 2013, 06:34 AM »
i use the 2lb. Bass Pro Brand Floro and have had great luck with it.

Offline pimplejigger84

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Nov 30, 2013, 07:51 PM »
Personally I like to use monofilament line for my main line and attach a swivel with a fluorocarbon leader about 18" up from my jig. The swivel allows for a good connection (with correctly tied and appropriate knots) and also helps with line twist when your jig spins and twirls.

IMO a straight flouro setup is too "wirey." Also, once you put it on that tiny ice spool, it wants to spring off because it still has the memory of the slightly bigger spool it was originally on. This memory doesn't last forever but it's a real pain, especially on windy days when it starts to come off and the wind takes it and keeps blowing it off your spool...this can occur even when your bail is closed. Finally, I feel that monofilament is a bit more forgiving. It has good stretch which can be very helpful particularly fighting large fish on lighter line; and when the line is zipping around on the sharp edge of the ice around your hole I think the mono resists fraying and just breaking clean off opposed to flouro.

Again, this is just the opinion that my mind has developed from experience...and everyone has had different experiences. You may find after reading all these responses that you become even more confused than you were before your post!  :) Tight Lines (no matter which kind you choose!)

Offline J_Edwards

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Nov 30, 2013, 10:54 PM »
This is why I like Seaguar Invisx, I don't have that problem, ever.  ;D

Offline gsp

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Nov 30, 2013, 11:43 PM »
Use vanish all the time in both summer fly fishing and all winter long.  Get out close to 60 times a year between still waters hard water season and never have fish break me off using 8 pound vanish.  Had several rainbows in the 5 and 6 pound range to.  But hey if you guys want to buy the expensive line i will keep catching fish on my vanish!!

Offline chris71383

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Dec 01, 2013, 12:14 AM »
2lb. Sunline FC Sniper.

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #25 on: Dec 01, 2013, 12:16 AM »
never have fish break me off using 8 pound vanish.  Had several rainbows in the 5 and 6 pound range to.

I would hope that you are not having fish break you off... A test of a line is more like when you are getting 8lb rainbows on 6lb line... And with a good reel (Drag) it is not a real test until the fish are twice (or more) the breaking strength of the line...

Offline J_Edwards

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Dec 01, 2013, 01:16 AM »
I've put a 22lb fish in the boat on 6lb test.  I was jigging after ice out eyes and hooked into a real nice laker.  I was never really concerned with my line, knot or anything along those lines, my drag could take care of that, I was more worried about breaking the fish down to the point of dying.  I trust my InvizX.  I have never been broke off with it, bit off, but definitely not broken.

Offline Big-D

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Dec 01, 2013, 10:30 AM »
Suffix all the way. Vanish = watch fish vanish! I've also heard real good things about a super expensive Japanese line, but never want to spend that much...
Dave
The Ranger School 2003
SUNY ESF 2005

Offline gsp

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Dec 01, 2013, 01:31 PM »
I would hope that you are not having fish break you off... A test of a line is more like when you are getting 8lb rainbows on 6lb line... And with a good reel (Drag) it is not a real test until the fish are twice (or more) the breaking strength of the line...
My point is i have used this line to catch some good size rainbows and have never had problems with vanish.  Have no problems out fishing a guy with more expensive line.  But its my opinion and i will keep using the old vanish until i see problems with it. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.