Author Topic: Eskimo Stingray Auger ...need help starting?  (Read 12745 times)

Offline sperrin

• Team IceShanty Regular
Eskimo Stingray Auger ...need help starting?
« on: Dec 17, 2008, 03:49 PM »
Hey Guys,

I thought someone on here maybe has the same auger as me and knows a good trick to starting it?

I bought a new Eskimo Stingray this fall, and I mixed up some fresh gas for it filled the tank and got it running for the first time about 3 weeks ago. It took a few pulls but no worries I got it running and it ran well. I ran it for about 10 minutes. Then I started it up a few days later when I was heading out on the ice to setup my shack and it took quite a few pulls to get it going again. I've only drilled 6 holes in total with it. But this past week I tired starting it in the shed just to see how it would start with this extreme cold weather were having and it just doesn't want to fire up and run? (its not really that cold in the shed)

The book says for cold starting...push the primer bulb 2 times with the choke in the "off" position. I tried that and it wanted to go but never did...I pulled my guts out for a while trying to get it to go a couple nights when I got home from work. I know its cold but it should still start way easier then that. I must have pulled 50 times.

Does anyone have any tips or experience with this model of auger to help me learn the best way to get it running.....

Thanks,
Stevo  ???

Offline Skiff

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • Walleye, pike, perch...Yeah!
Re: Eskimo Stingray Auger ...need help starting?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 17, 2008, 05:07 PM »
I can't help you with advice on your model, I have a Jiffy 30 Legend.  But for what my advice is worth, it may help a bit.  When the temp is really cold, I prime the carb 3-5 times, then push the choke to "full", and start cranking.  It usually starts on the 2nd or 3rd try.  Decrease the choke to 1/2 as the machine warms. Your carbueration may be different, but if it's not starting, anything is worth a try.  The worst you can do is temporarily flood it. 

Also check the spark gap.  I've installed replacement factory made plugs, only to find my machine won't start because the gap was way off.  Regapping to 0.030 worked like a charm for my Jiffy.

Also, if there is summer gas in the tank, it is less volatile than winter gas, and won't spark up as easily as winter gas because the companies change the ratio of volatiles as the temp gets colder.  Try fresher gas if you haven't already.  Good Luck
"I'm as healthy as I ever was, I just go to the doctor more often".  - one of my retired buddies

Offline MrMarty51

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Dec 17, 2008, 05:20 PM »
I`d give the bulb 5 primes and start with the choke on as prescribed earlier.If it does`nt want to start then,Pull the plug and see if it is flooded or if it is dry.If it is dry try the aforementioned procedure again.
When You tried to start it earlier and it just fired a couple of times,That sounds like a lean start condidtion that can be cured by using the choke. :)

"Every hour spent fishing is NOT taken from ones life"Quote from Grant Boyson

Offline MrMarty51

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Dec 18, 2008, 11:37 AM »
Did it start for You?

"Every hour spent fishing is NOT taken from ones life"Quote from Grant Boyson

Offline sperrin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 18, 2008, 11:52 AM »
I'll give it a try tonight when I get home....last night I had hockey and never had a chance to give it a go.

Thanks so far for the advice...I figured someone on here would have the same model and have maybe discovered a trick to getting them started fast.. 3 primes 1/2 choke and letter rip or somthing like that.

Stevo

Offline Sandy Hooker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 18, 2008, 06:45 PM »
I've got the same auger and have had the same problems; difficult to start and when you do get it running, you drill a few holes and then it keeps dying on you. I "Googled" Eskimo Stingray problems and found a few other forums where many other folks also had the same problems, but I don't recall there being any quick fixes....most of them rebuilt the carb only to experience the same problems...maybe it is the gas or a spark plug problem.

I just took my Stingray into the shop for repairs. The primer bulb seems to suck air and won't pump gas into the carb so it just won't start. Hopefully nothing serious and not too costly.

Offline powderburns

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #6 on: Dec 18, 2008, 06:53 PM »
Like the others said, more prime. when you push the primer in and release it, take your thumb off it. something like that.

Offline The Beachcomber

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Dec 18, 2008, 07:08 PM »
I had the same problem last year with my shark modell, it stalled after a few holes or a few minutes.  I was using canadian tire 2 stroke oil and thought the 20:1 ratio was dead on.  I bought some jiffy oil and a graduated cylinder to exactly measure the ratio.  Voila, works like a charm!

Don't know if its the same issue but what type of oil do you use!

Offline Levista

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 18, 2008, 08:39 PM »

been using the same hand auger 9 years. changed the blades once. cost about 20 bucks for them. no starting problems yet!!!!

Offline sled-in

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Dec 19, 2008, 04:45 AM »
I have an old 2 stroke lawn mower that I use starter fluid on, spray a little in get it going, if it wants to die bang it up and down.  ;D (Note: don't try this)

Offline sperrin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 19, 2008, 08:39 AM »
Got home last night and tried to start it in the shed...its not insulated or heated. And I pulled & pulled and it wouldn't go. I tried priming it a couple times, and nothing. So I pulled the plug and it looked a bit wet so it seems the primer bulb is working. So I put a bit of gas downt he cylinder a few times and it would run on that for a second or two each time I did that and then die.

I came to the conclusion that the carb just wont pump fuel when its really cold outside (which seems crapty to me considering its and ICE AUGER)

So I took it inside for a bit to let it warm up, then it started right up when I took it back outside.

Stevo

Offline poor_fisher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Dec 19, 2008, 09:36 AM »
I have the same auger and I have had no problems at all...maybe your carb just needs some fine tuning check out this thread posted by lonewolf

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=50312.0

Offline sled-in

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Dec 19, 2008, 10:21 AM »
Could be water in the gas causing ice to build up, what gas do you use? I was told there is a limit on how much water can be in gas at the pumps, so some owners make sure it is at the limit. I like co op for how much I save on my fuel bill, but their gas is not the best.

Offline sperrin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Dec 19, 2008, 11:33 AM »
I just got fresh gas from the Tempo in town...they usually have pretty good fuel. And its a brand new auger so I know the carb shouldn't be gummed up or anything. When its kept someplace warm it fires up pretty good..but if the auger is out in the cold when you try starting it then you can pull and pull and get no where..

Stevo

Offline blue igloo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "We don't remember days....only moments!"
« Reply #14 on: Dec 19, 2008, 03:19 PM »
IMO:
Since it started after warming it up, that leads me to believe you indeed had condensation in the tank.
Try using a bit of gasline antifreeze in the mix. Use quality oil and FRESH PREMIUM gas......BTW......Temp o & Co-op...same poor gas!
Try Shell Pemium....works for me.
Keep your tank full and DON'T bring it anywhere there is heat or else you'll create a condensation (water) problem again!
Blue Igloo  :tipup:

Offline sled-in

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Dec 21, 2008, 09:30 AM »
I thought Temp gets their gas at the same place as Co-op, try a different gas station, or add some gas line anti freeze. I kinda think it sounds like a water problem.

With a small engine it is always one or more of three things if an engine turns but doesn't run
1. fuel
2. air
3. spark

You have spark, you have air, its fuel. You put gas in the cylinder and it will fire. If its warm it will run. Something is blocking the fuel, ice would cause what your seeing.

Offline Pembina

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Dec 21, 2008, 08:54 PM »
Hope you got er figured out, had a Jiffy that acted the same way until I tightened the bolts on the carb, was getting a little air.  Started warm ran great, put it in the cold and would have to run half choke or run 30 seconds and stall repeated that a hundred times.

Offline sperrin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Dec 22, 2008, 08:23 AM »
when it starts it runs smooth and runs really nice. The problem is getting it to actually fire up and start in the first place...we did get it to run both days this weekend by leaving it in the truck for about 10 mins while we started the fire in the shack. The it drilled holes and worked alright. And we iced our first fish of the season and a few more! Had a good Sunday on a cold cold day.

Stevo

Offline mike67stang

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Dec 22, 2008, 03:21 PM »
IF YOUR GAS CAP HAS A VENT ON IT MAKE SURE IT'S OPEN

Offline sperrin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Dec 22, 2008, 04:27 PM »
ya there is a vent on the cap

Offline bmanisit

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Dec 22, 2008, 07:36 PM »
i have the exact same model i had the exact same problem turned out to be the gas i changed it and one pull every time now

Offline sperrin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Dec 23, 2008, 08:36 AM »
Jeez....I sure home its only the gas. That would be a simple fix.

Offline BigB

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Dec 24, 2008, 09:03 PM »
I had a nostart problem like that on my Strikemaster LazerMag. I force fueled it down the carb and it runs for a few seconds, which proved that I had spark. Then when I took the carb apart I fornd that the needle was stuck in the seat. I pushed it free and viola. all is good. Now it springs freely and that is why fuel is not flowing. Think if it in reverse on a sled carb: If the float fails to push the needle up hard enough the fuel keeps on flowing into the carb. If it is stuck by some shmoo or left over oil after the gas evaporates, then the pump pumps, but the valve is shut. Now every year I will just take that cover plate off (4 screws) and pop the needle out of the seat.

Offline skyhawk

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Dec 30, 2008, 07:42 PM »
I have the same auger with the same problem,tried new fuel,new plug,carb redone,warm it up for 15 min. runs great. been like this for 4years. I think it needs anew home.

Offline blue igloo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "We don't remember days....only moments!"
« Reply #24 on: Dec 31, 2008, 11:28 AM »
I have the same auger with the same problem,tried new fuel,new plug,carb redone,warm it up for 15 min. runs great. been like this for 4years. I think it needs anew home.
Trade it in for a Jiffy....... hundreds of commercial fishermen can't be wrong  :)

Offline sled-in

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Jan 05, 2009, 09:41 AM »
Trade it in for a Jiffy....... hundreds of commercial fishermen can't be wrong  :)

I want my next auger to be a Nils, but since I have a jiffy right now I don't think that will ever happen ;D

Offline Wellsy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Catch and Release...keep only what you need.
« Reply #26 on: Jan 05, 2009, 09:58 AM »
I have had a stingray for 5 years and it has been 1-2 pulls every time for 5 years.
And I always prime the crap out of it.
You may want to dump your tank and start over?
I will say that you should always tighten that breather screw down good for travel cause it will come right out when your not looking.
Also make sure your choke is working cold start problems on a new engine could also mean someone at ardisam didn't do their job.

GOOD LUCK,
Wellsy

Offline skreeks

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Jan 05, 2009, 10:06 AM »
I've had my Stingray for the 3rd winter and no starting problems to speak of. I usually prime it 6-7 times to get it fired up and 2 more before i take the choke off. always starts with 3 0r 4 pulls

Offline sperrin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Jan 05, 2009, 04:05 PM »
I primed the crap out of it the other day and that seemed to help a bit...it runs great but getting fuel to pump to begin with seems to be the big problem.

Stevo

Offline Wellsy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Catch and Release...keep only what you need.
« Reply #29 on: Jan 05, 2009, 05:04 PM »
I primed the crap out of it the other day and that seemed to help a bit...it runs great but getting fuel to pump to begin with seems to be the big problem.

Stevo

Just a stupid question ??? ???, but your not (I hope not)holding the throttle while starting are you?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.