Author Topic: What do you take when scouting new spots on a lake?  (Read 3133 times)

Offline anthonyjj

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • When in doubt, exaggerate!
What do you take when scouting new spots on a lake?
« on: Oct 21, 2011, 09:49 AM »
This will be my second season fishing the hardwater. I have found a couple spots that produce fish, but want to expand on that. Our cottage is on a 400 acre lake that is part of chain of 7 lakes. Depths can go down to 40-50 feet with lots of variation (mix of marl, sandy areas, weed areas, etc).

Anyway, what do you take with you when scouting new locations? Traveling light on the ice for this purpose would probably be the focus here, but I can't help but bring more stuff just in case I come across another honey hole.

Must-have when scouting:
Ice Picks (safety stuff)
Fish Finder/Sonar (my x67c)
An auger
Map of lake (pencil/paper for notes)
My hiking GPS

Nice-to-have when scouting:
1 or 2 rods
Small tackle box (pliers, forceps, jigs/lures/bait)

Is this list ok? need more? less?

Thanks in advance.

surflizard

Re: What do you take when scouting new spots on a lake?
« Reply #1 on: Oct 21, 2011, 10:10 AM »
Your pretty much covered as far as your list goes, finding the best Bathy maps available and going over it before you hit the ice, with a fine tooth comb for structure, contour changes, humps, points, anything that you think will concentrate the fish, will be your most valuable tool out there ! Exploring a lake can be a rewarding and sometimes frustrating challenge, but the more you learn about a body of water, the easier and more productive your fishing will be ! Good luck out there and stay safe !

Surf

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
« Reply #2 on: Oct 21, 2011, 10:31 AM »
First I scout out a lake with topo maps and air photos(google earth) at home. Then I mark a potential area on the air photo based on the countour maps.    Then I set up in the general vicinity with Tip-ups spaced a little farther apart than I normally go. Then I drill lots of holes around them to jig till I zero in on where the fish are at.

Or I just have an old timer point to me where to fish and I usually do well that way too.  ;D
New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

Offline codewordcs1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Oct 21, 2011, 11:28 AM »
Don't forget bait. I think its a lot easier to do your scouting now from the boat if that's an option if so then I bring some cheap hooks and drift around finding snags and structure and such. Good luck

Offline bassrat

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Oct 27, 2011, 08:51 PM »
1) garmin gpsmap 62 and lakemaster chip
2) auger
3) lx-5
4) 825sd
5) 4 rods (spring bobber rod, power noodle, and quiverstick for panfish...and a perch sweetheart for eyes')
6) small plano bag with several trays of spoons and 3 flambeau VFF blue ribbons for jigs and plastics and insulated pocket for bait
7) all stored nicely in a strikemaster glide-lite

Offline boss j

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • my spoons are my passion
« Reply #5 on: Oct 27, 2011, 08:58 PM »
BLOCKBUSTERS  to drop down to see what floats up!!! lol    good sled, rods(2), small jig box, sonar, seat, extra gas!!!
boss spoons, they can catch it all!!!

Offline Master Angler

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 10" Hole = Less tales of the big one that got away
« Reply #6 on: Oct 27, 2011, 10:41 PM »
Ice Chisel aka spud bar, I've always got one in hand for checking ice as I'm walking along, especially on new lakes or new areas of a familiar lake, and up till the ice is about 8 inches I just use it instead of hauling an auger. 

Offline addicted to ice fishing

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Feeding my addiction one lake at a time
« Reply #7 on: Nov 20, 2011, 03:20 PM »
You pretty much have it covered.  I would always take a rod along to try the new spots.  Also a chisel to test unfamilar ice.  I would use a sled to a sled to haul my gear. 

Good luck

Offline da man cave shack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Drillin for a thrillin.
« Reply #8 on: Nov 20, 2011, 08:08 PM »
Sounds good but how about wareing a pfd when on unfamiliar ice.

Offline rjluke70

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 26, 2012, 11:29 AM »
I take out my fishing partner, a gps with a lake map chip and auger.  I drill a ton of holes in the area and my fishing partner follows behind me with a vexilar and jig pole.  When he finds a spot that looks promising we fish that area for awhile.  If not we move on and drill some more.

Offline eplindstrom

• IceShanty Rookie
  • If this boat is rocking you have a serious problem
« Reply #10 on: Feb 12, 2012, 02:46 PM »
For some quick scouting bring a spud bar and open old holes. Maybe the person that was fishing there before knew where all the fish are. I thoroughly scouted an entire small lake one morning with an auger and vexilar and ended up fishing in someone's old holes anyway

Offline augergas

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Feb 20, 2012, 10:46 AM »
I take out my fishing partner, a gps with a lake map chip and auger. 

A GPS with a lake mapping is hands down the best piece of equipment you can own for scouting. You can zero in on the type of structure you want to fish without even drilling a hole. Huge time saver and, next to a flahser, the best dollar you will ever spend for ice fishing.

Offline skidooguy

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • FLAAAAAGGGG!!!!!!
« Reply #12 on: Mar 01, 2012, 09:32 AM »
I do most of my hardwater scouting from the boat in the spring. Much easier to locate what I like that way.
Also known as Rebel16 on MYFISHFINDER.COM

Registered Maine Guide

Offline Swift

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Mar 01, 2012, 02:39 PM »
I do most of my hardwater scouting from the boat in the spring. Much easier to locate what I like that way.
Prior knowledge from open water speeds things up. Simple downloaded copy of the map and some colored pencils during the summer helps ones memory when your brain's confused, frozen or otherwise locked up from asst chemicals in the system  :roflmao:

Offline skidooguy

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • FLAAAAAGGGG!!!!!!
« Reply #14 on: Mar 01, 2012, 08:11 PM »
Prior knowledge from open water speeds things up. Simple downloaded copy of the map and some colored pencils during the summer helps ones memory when your brain's confused, frozen or otherwise locked up from asst chemicals in the system  :roflmao:

X2
Also known as Rebel16 on MYFISHFINDER.COM

Registered Maine Guide

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.