The ice fishing WY board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: Is Corn Killing our fish ???  (Read 10182 times)

Offline ClearCreek

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Is Corn Killing our fish ???
« Reply #30 on: Mar 03, 2015, 09:15 PM »
rainbows will also do this in the hatchery if left with a self feeder, they will eat until they die. Brook trout and browns do not have this behavior in the hatchery.

Actually almost all fish eat until they die.  For some , it may take 5, 10 or 20 years but they will eat until they die; either of old age or until they are caught and kept!!

ClearCreek

Offline jopes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #31 on: Mar 03, 2015, 10:17 PM »
;) Completely agree with Gem City! Chumming is illegal! As for NEVER using it that is a personal choice. I think one of the wonderful things this forum does is enable us to share our personal choices and share the impacts of the choices. Now, how do I get these damn pellets to stay on the hook? ;D ???

Maybe I am blind, but I do not see anything in the regs about chum?
Don

Offline gemcityslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #32 on: Mar 03, 2015, 11:36 PM »

Maybe I am blind, but I do not see anything in the regs about chum?

I'll eat crow on that one.  I just looked it up and chumming appears to be legal.  But the law is not crystal clear in my opinion.  1) the regulations guidebook does not even mention the word "chum".  2) I found two separate Frequently Asked Question (FAQ) sections on the game and fish website --> one of which says chumming is legal.  The other provides a bit of a caveat to that... you cannot chum on waters where artificial flies and lures only is the rule.  I'm attaching the link below:
https://wgfd.wyo.gov/web2011/news-1000779.aspx
Does anybody know if this was changed recently?  I swear I seem to remember it being illegal 5-6 years ago... but just goes to show it is always a good idea to refresh yourself with the regs each year.

That will certainly change the way I fish for a few species....mainly channel cats.  Dicing up a few suckers or carp and chumming an area can really get them going.

Offline gemcityslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #33 on: Mar 03, 2015, 11:46 PM »
https://wgfd.wyo.gov/wtest/wgfd-1000462.aspx  Here is the link to the FAQ that says chumming is legal.  (but does not mention the rule against using it on artificials only bodies of water.

Offline Kinkyline

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • How sweet they are!
« Reply #34 on: Mar 04, 2015, 06:59 AM »
you know when you think about it like this, they eat pine cones, and rocks, and bottle caps, and hunks of rubber and metal with hooks in them.... :P

they really are pretty dumb....so, my thought now is,
if I caught the dumbest creature there is,  .... ::)

why am I  holding it up proudly and screaming Take My Picture like I accomplished something hard?? ??? ???

Its really right up there with getting photos and  trophies for Shrimp Peeling and Tree Hunting...

heck, now I'm depressed....   Take pride in the fact that you are smart enough to find them...that's the puzzle to solve and if they're hungry,bit on!!!! ;D

Even Underwater Basket Weaving would be harder than making a fish eat something....

dang....anyone want some fishing gear?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.