Author Topic: Smoker  (Read 5371 times)

Offline james

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Smoker
« Reply #30 on: Jan 10, 2013, 06:19 AM »
That's some good looking fish! And a really nice Smoker too! Makes my big chief look pretty ghetto! :'(

I have the Masterbuilt you are talking about and I love it. here are some pics.(Image removed from quote.)(Image removed from quote.)(Image removed from quote.)

HIMO

Offline CZMark

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #31 on: Jan 11, 2013, 08:42 AM »
I now use a Traeger with the optional electronic control. It is so simple to use, I can put meat on in the morning, then go to work and not worry about it. The results are much better than I ever got with my Bradley.

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #32 on: Jan 12, 2013, 05:55 AM »
I grew  up eating smoked meat of all types. We had an old walk in smoker and would often do 15-20 hams at a time. It seemed 3-4 times a week something was being made. When I got married and moved away my smoking came to an end.

My wife and the people we have around us totally hate the taste of smoked food or the way it smells. Needless to say this put a damper on things. This was fun just looking at the pictures and enjoying some memories. Good luck in your smoking adventure!

WS

Offline HIMO

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • GOATBOYS WISCONSIN CHAPTER 1st Wisconsin goat!!
« Reply #33 on: Jan 12, 2013, 10:05 AM »
That's some good looking fish! And a really nice Smoker too! Makes my big chief look pretty ghetto! :'(

I started with a big chief years ago. now that my sons are older(19 & 23) I wanted to pass down the skills so I bought this smoker and the rest is history.I guess it really don't matter what smoker you use but what matters the most is the persons ability to make a quality product. if at first you don't succeed keep at it you will pick up the skills in time.

HIMO
It's not how deep you fish, but how you wiggle your worm !!!

Offline JigChaser08

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Wishin' I Was Fishin'
« Reply #34 on: Jan 17, 2013, 12:07 AM »
just got one at home depot for 50 bucks..runs on propane and its a brinkmann..works great!
Henry

Offline Doitnow

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #35 on: Jan 18, 2013, 10:14 PM »
I started with a big chief years ago. now that my sons are older(19 & 23) I wanted to pass down the skills so I bought this smoker and the rest is history.I guess it really don't matter what smoker you use but what matters the most is the persons ability to make a quality product. if at first you don't succeed keep at it you will pick up the skills in time.

HIMO
You are 100% right!

Offline Santo180

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #36 on: Feb 02, 2013, 10:22 AM »
I plan on smoking tomorrow for the superbowl.  I'm in NY and obviously it will be cold outside.  I've never done a winter smoke before and am looking for suggestions.  I've had great success smoking in the warmer months.  I like the waterheater insulation idea but am looking for others.  I'm planning on doing a pulled pork, a chicken, and a rack or two of ribs.  It's a charcoal smoker with an offset firebox.  I figure I can get the heat up by just moving the food closer to the firebox which I have done this past fall.  I'm hoping someone on here has done a winter smoke before and I'd love to hear how it came out.  I'm thinking I'll probably need to pre cook in the oven.

Offline cold_feet

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice is Cool!!
« Reply #37 on: Feb 02, 2013, 01:41 PM »
Smoking in the winter is fine if you can maintain the temps. Just moving the food towards the heat source might just create a area that is hot on one side and too cool on the opposite side to fully cook the meat. What you might consider to do here is Take the shoulder of pork and Smoke the piece for a hour or two depending on how much smoke you want. When the shoulder has the color you wanted remove it and then put it into the oven in your home to finish cooking at a low temp This will ensure you a properly cooked meat. Wrap it in foil before you put it into the oven to keep the meat juicy. If the temps are not too cold outside and you can keep the internal smoker temps high enough for the pork to cook keep it on the smoker longer. This will take some time cooking be aware of that if you plan on eating it for the game. Do a test run and fire the smoker up today to see where the temps will be at. 

Offline wiredstone

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #38 on: Feb 02, 2013, 07:19 PM »
Smoked up some smelts yesterday on the grill. Taste like candy  ;)
MAY YOUR FLAGS FLY HIGH & YOUR LINES BE TIGHT.

Offline Santo180

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #39 on: Feb 04, 2013, 05:02 PM »
Well it worked out pretty good.  I smoked two racks of baby back ribs, a chicken, and a porkbutt for pulled pork.  The 8lb porkbutt was precooked in the oven for 3 hours before going on the smoker.  I ended up having to have charcoal on each end of the smoker to keep the temps up but it came out great.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.