Author Topic: Mid-winter pattern  (Read 2591 times)

Offline JDthree

• Team IceShanty Regular
Mid-winter pattern
« on: Jan 14, 2011, 12:14 PM »
Apparently this is going on in my neck of the woods. Any advice. This is only my 2nd season. The wigglers seem not to work anymore, minnows never really did. Got one on a mousee the other day fishin for gills. Anyway any help would be appreciated.

Offline Townie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Mid-winter pattern
« Reply #1 on: Jan 14, 2011, 03:29 PM »
Try small spoons like the Northland's Forage Minnow. Tip w/ mousee
Bulls, Jumbos & Slabs Oh My!

Offline Swift

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 14, 2011, 07:17 PM »
Change the times you're going. They simply may be feeding more heavily a few hours, either way, of what was working earlier.

Offline GOOSE_EGG

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Rip'n Lips [URL=http://s1208.photobucket.com/user/
« Reply #3 on: Jan 15, 2011, 12:30 AM »
Use there eyes. I like a Hali with maggots or Northlands Forage spoon with maggots pink ones, as soon as i get one iced i cut out one of its eyes and put it on the hook and forget about the maggots. Its crazy how well the eyes work. Cannibalistic little *****s they are. and yea time is a huge thing in the mid to late winter. early in the a.m. and just before dark but once it gets dark they almost shut down but the good thing is...if you have walleye in that water that will pick up nicely

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #4 on: Jan 24, 2011, 09:35 AM »
Sometimes you need to jig and bounce off the bottom.  A very plain and simple small round head jig with a bit of plastic and a plain splitshot sinker about 12 inches up on the line worked pretty well for me at times the perch stops biting.  You can use feathered jigs or flies for lures.  You can use spoons as weight attractors too.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline stadlea

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • OUTDOOR PASSIONS
« Reply #5 on: Feb 03, 2011, 06:19 PM »
I have been finding that you need to go with a smaller tear drop or a larger sweedish pimple...the medium sized jigs aren't catching anything...depends on the day but LARGER (or) smaller
I remember my first beer!

Offline RIVERRAT2

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • try to fish over 200 days a year,have cut back now
« Reply #6 on: Jan 15, 2012, 04:57 PM »
most times in mid winter here in N.Y.[GREEN CO.]
go smaller,slow,deeper,look for the flats in10 to 20ft for perch i use glo and hit the bottom,make mud,
fish are almost dormant do not move much, this is when they feed the least .[MOVE,MOVE.MOVE,]DRILL,DRILL,DRILL,
try and hit them on the head with the jig[wake up FOOD]
 ;D ;D ;D ;D
RAT
I LOVE FISHING.IT IS A FULLTIME JOB

Offline gillyman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 09, 2012, 11:02 PM »
I am finding the same thing here in Wyo.   Sonar says they are down there. I have gone to 2# test or lower and BB sized jigs-diamond jigs from Jigs and Spin.  Maggots and spring bobbers.   Palm rods seem to be the ticket for me.
Then sometimes a radical change like a jiggin' rap ticks them off.
A month ago I used a buckshot spoon and stopped it 3-4 feet above the bottom and sonar showed that they came up to get it.  Drop the same lure to the bottom near them and they wouldn't hit.  Strange.  And they wouldn't hit a little jig in their midst either.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.