Author Topic: New line  (Read 1358 times)

Offline Cedar2RTO

• Team IceShanty Regular
New line
« on: Dec 25, 2010, 03:17 PM »
How do you straighten the new line on a fishing pole for being all coiled up like a cork screw?!

If you can keep your head while everyone around you is losing theirs; you may have misunderstood the situation.

Offline Fisherman 1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fish..the other white meat
Re: New line
« Reply #1 on: Dec 25, 2010, 07:03 PM »
Well, most likely you put it on backwards.  When spooling up a spincast, usually have the spool you bought with the paper side up while cranking it onto your reel, the odd time you have to do it with the paper side down.   I usually check after ten cranks of the handle, if it coils, I flip the spool over.  On a baitcaster the spool rotates on a screwdriver in a vise, never had a problem with them.  Your best bet is to take your rod and reel, tie the end of the line to a post, open the bail and walk out 100 paces or so, put the rod down go back, undo the line.  Go back, take a piece of cotton batten or piece f cloth and apply a bit of tension to the line while reeling it back on.  It should uncoil itself as you crank it back on.  If it was summer, just let your line out behind a boat at trolling speed,  it will uncoil itself as you go forward and then reel it back in.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #2 on: Dec 25, 2010, 10:46 PM »
Not all line brands will act in the same manner, just check as you go and flip the spool if you start noticing it twists on you.  Sometimes it works out better to just let the spool spin on a makeshift spindle.  ;D
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #3 on: Dec 25, 2010, 11:05 PM »
Twisting and coil memory are two differnet things. For coil memory some lines are much better at staying limp... That being said, most line can need a little stretch at times. I just hook to something on my clam that won't damage my hook point, walk away letting the line out until I have more line out than the depth I will be fishing and gently pull it tight and give it a good stretch! With mono, you can get a good feel for the line and its condition this way, also if there are any nicks or bad knots, it's better to break them now then on a fish. If that does not straiten your line out its time to replace it. There are products on the market (like a spray) that claim to help, but I have not used them and line is not that expensive and I try to always have good line on my reel.

Offline Ericjeeper

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 26, 2010, 07:46 AM »
I just lower my lure down into the hole. Trip the bail closed then grasp the line tightly between my thumb and a few fingers and pull and slide my hand down the length of line a few times. The tension and warmth will generally remove the coils.

Offline Wiener

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Warranty Void if Seal is Broken
« Reply #5 on: Dec 27, 2010, 08:04 AM »
It could get coils just from being on the spool too long.

Here's what I use :

Spray it down and the Mono will relax on the reel.  I only use this for Mono fishing line.

If you have a superbraid, pull it off and crank it back on under tension.

That will remove the twists for you.

Hope this helps,

Wiener

Offline PerpetuallySkunked

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 02, 2011, 06:01 PM »
Large arbor reels will help with memory coils,as will the aforementioned Reel Magic. Line twist is another matter entirely,the biggest culprits of line twist are reeling when drag is being taken,this will twist up your line in a matter of handle cranks. The other is allowing your bail to flip closed on its own and then letting the line slide over the bail to the line roller, manually closing the bail then pulling your line tight into the roller will negate the twist that occurs at that time. Once you get in the habit of doing this it will become second nature, I use this same method in open water as well, the lighter the line and lure/jig combination the more important it seems to be!!!

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #7 on: Jan 03, 2011, 05:15 PM »
Just to clarify that manually closing the bail vs allowing the bail to automatically flip close makes no difference on line twist effects.  You have to make sure you've got enough tension on line to prevent loose loops forming.  Manually closing the bail usually means manually holding and pulling the line to ensure good line wrapping on spool.  Something as simple as just manually putting the line on the line roller.  If you're going just crank the handle to close the bail, then pulling the lure to creat tension as the bail closes will do a good job as well.  Unfortunately for ice fishing, the lures are probably too small to help out with the line tension.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.