Author Topic: New Members to Team Alaska, introduce yourselves here!  (Read 117738 times)

Offline Barleydog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • MMMM Fish!
Re: New Members to Team Alaska, introduce yourselves here!
« Reply #150 on: Oct 14, 2009, 11:43 AM »
Same to ya!  Hopefully everyone is back this year and we get some decent weather too!
TEAM ALASKA

Offline Fishin Fireman

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Life's Tougher and Funner in Alaska;
« Reply #151 on: Oct 15, 2009, 06:47 PM »
Hello too all my salty ice worms and new wigglers!

Just crawling out of the moth balls here but I have a nice stained red ice shanty about ready to go! Now if only that roofer would come through on his end with the rubber for the roof! I might be getting in the shanty building buisness if I can claim these skids I saw the other day...make a great starter base ;D

Fish On everybody!

LOL

Offline akjw7

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #152 on: Oct 16, 2009, 03:19 PM »
good to see you're still here FF!!

Barley - it's an old 70's vintage, but the furnace works!  I have had it a couple winters now and had to replace some 'wet cardboard box' that used to be wood to keep the propane tank and batteries from spilling down the highway after a bad frost heave!

Offline travisj88

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #153 on: Oct 16, 2009, 10:12 PM »
Well it looks like several of the regulars are already checking in.  I guess it's time to start looking in on the shanty again and see what's going on in our icefishing world.  Hopefully everyone had a great summer.  All we need now is the ice to get here.  Good luck to everyone this year and hope to see you out on the ice.
Travis

Offline DizzyDean

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #154 on: Oct 20, 2009, 12:32 AM »
Thank you for all of the welcomes.

I work at FMH/DC. So I am up here for the long haul. Not planning on returning to the lower 48.

Looking forward to the hardwater up here.
I need ice!!!!

Offline Barleydog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • MMMM Fish!
« Reply #155 on: Oct 20, 2009, 05:59 PM »
I have had it a couple winters now and had to replace some 'wet cardboard box' that used to be wood to keep the propane tank and batteries from spilling down the highway after a bad frost heave!

HAHAHAHA!  That would be a true Alaskan camper though!
TEAM ALASKA

Offline Zeb

• IceShanty Rookie
New to ice fishing. Lake suggestions?
« Reply #156 on: Oct 28, 2009, 08:34 PM »
Hello everyone, I'm a total ice fishing newbie, but I'm actually really excited about getting started.  It seems like it should be a fun winter activity.  I just got into snowmachining also, and I thought ice fishing would be a good use of my new SD Tundra.

So far, I've been buying gear and doing research.  I've got most of the necessities purchased already... Snowmachine, cargo sled, shelter, heater, auger, rods, reels, tackle, tip-ups, ice scoop, flasher, chairs, etc.

What Kenai Peninsula or Mat-Su area lakes are good for ice fishing?  I'd love to fish some remote, snowmachine-in lakes this winter.

Also, if anyone is looking for someone to go fishing with this winter, drop me a line.  I'm 31, and live in Anchorage.  My wife is in school and doesn't have much free time, so I'd love to meet some friends to accompany me fishing!

-Zeb

Offline Barleydog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • MMMM Fish!
« Reply #157 on: Oct 31, 2009, 04:40 PM »
Welcome Zeb!  Looks like your on your way to getting geared up!
TEAM ALASKA

Offline darkhousefisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Me and my fishing buddy
Re: New to ice fishing. Lake suggestions?
« Reply #158 on: Nov 03, 2009, 01:29 AM »
Hey Zeb welcome to Iceshanty.  I haven't fished anyplace too remote yet, but I am hoping to change that as my three year old will be better able to handle all day trips this year.  I spear mainly in the Mat-Su area and you are more then welcome to accompany me anytime.

Offline Dirtofak

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #159 on: Nov 03, 2009, 02:38 AM »
Welcome Zeb!

I fish Lake Louise mostly with a few trips to pike lakes in the Susitna area. Gotta love those predator fish!

What snow machine do you run?

I usually run the snow machines for a month before fishing, but who knows. I left all my gear at LL so I have to go there first. Damn the bad luck// ;) ;)

Do you need a kitchen pass?  ;D

Mike

Offline jkw

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Dont Forget The Beer!
« Reply #160 on: Nov 03, 2009, 07:53 PM »
welcome to the forum zeb...there are lots of great lakes to try in the mat-su, not so many in the kenai peninsula, but  a few......look on the fish and game website under lake maps to learn about some of the better ones.
TEAM ALASKA          :bow: Pray For Ice! :icefish:

Its better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it!

Offline Rising_Creek

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #161 on: Nov 26, 2009, 01:14 AM »
Hello,

A quick introduction. Lets see. I have ice fished for about 7 years up here. This year I hope to catch my first Lake Trout and first Burbot. I fish the lakes in Anchorage some. My family has a cabin on Big Lake and I fish that with mixed success. I really enjoy the pics everyone posts here. Good luck and enjoy the ice!

Offline Kotton

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #162 on: Nov 26, 2009, 01:30 PM »
Hello
my name is Jerome, have been ice fishing since I was a kid,but dad only took us out to local lakes around anchorage.caught only stockers,but had a heck of a time, many fond memorys of dad punching five holes with a hand auger so all us kids could fish.about two years ago we scored a old 8" gas auger and started fishing lake louise.me and buddies drilled three holes and set up with trebel hooks with shrimp.fished for about ten minutes,with no takes so I went out to scout another hole,well me and my buddies allways play jokes on each other,and it was my turn to get it. While I was gone my best friend Jake (JKW as u might know him) took a piss in my hole while it was rigged with the shrimp.a couple of minutes later there was a take on my pull and Jake grabbed it and the fight was on.I was just pulling up on my sled to see Jake with my pole bent in half with Dave cheering him on, the fish kept hitting the hole side ways for a few minutes finally he got him turned right and I screamed at Dave, GRAB IT! He screamed back at me,no he pissed in that hole.that's when I relized Jake tried to get me,I wanted to grab it for him but could not stick my hands in that yellow water.Jake ended up loosing the fish and That's how we all got the fever,seeing that king salmon sized laker not fit through the ice hole.we ended up caching and puting back a few under sized fish,but still trying to catch that one that got away.sorry for rambling on but had to share that story because I get the feeling he never told anyone how he lost the laker of his dreams

Offline catchumall

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • God bless the USA and Canada!
« Reply #163 on: Nov 26, 2009, 02:26 PM »
Welcome Kotton, we are glad you are here.   :tipup:
Bob

Offline REFAK

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #164 on: Nov 29, 2009, 11:31 AM »
Hello;
I am another of the Minnesota transplants. Name is Rick.  I have been up here for 27 years, but have not done very much ice fishing up here.  Use to do it all of the time as a kid living by LOW.  I have been out for northerns a few times and the local stocked lakes.  I plan to hit it a lot harder this year.  Hope to run in to a few of you on the ice.  Good luck and keep the tip up.

Offline catchumall

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #165 on: Nov 29, 2009, 01:32 PM »
Welcome to Ice Shanty Rick hope you have a great season.   :tipup:
Bob

Offline Fishin Fireman

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Life's Tougher and Funner in Alaska;
« Reply #166 on: Dec 01, 2009, 02:30 PM »
Welcome to all our new members and returning hard water nuts! BE SURE TO CHECK OUT THE STORE FOR ALL YOUR "TEAM ICE SHANTY" HARDWATER CLOTHES AND ACCESSORIES. YOU CAN ALSO JOIN THE "Militia" and help support the website.

Anyone wanting a "Team Alaska" logo let me know and I'll email you one. We are looking into getting these made into patches. You can also buy state patches from the online store too.

Tight lines :icefish:

Brad

Offline fishfoolz

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Love it when they Crush It!!
« Reply #167 on: Dec 02, 2009, 12:40 AM »
Hey everyone,

My name is Jake and I am 32 years old from Anchorage.  I have lived here for about 26 years and love fishing with or without ice. There is just something about drilling a hole in the ice and getting right over structure that you would not necessarily be able to do in the summer that is awesome.  I went out to a local lake this weekend with my girlfriend and caught a bunch of fish in the 12" to 16" range, but did see one get caught by another gentleman that was about 22".   It was great for the first outing and I am ready to get out of town and get into some real fish.  Does anyone have any good information on any lakes/rivers that are real good for burbot?
Tell me the location of your Burbot Hole!

Offline Bgchief

• IceShanty Rookie
  • New Years Rainbow
« Reply #168 on: Dec 02, 2009, 09:23 PM »
Hello everyone my Name is charlie.I live in North Kenai.
I have been ice fishing for a few years and having a blast.
It all started with Trustworthy derby and myself and my daughter
where hooked .We look forward to hard water after every moose season
thanks

Offline TnT

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #169 on: Dec 03, 2009, 07:43 PM »
I arrived in Alaska in April. I am in the Air Force stationed at Elmendorf. Growing up in northern MN I have always had the love for dark house spearing. I love Alaska and plan to stay for the rest of my life. Tomorow I am going to Sportsmans to buy some gear that I sold when I came into the military and after that I should be on the lake everyday I am off.

Offline catchumall

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #170 on: Dec 03, 2009, 08:20 PM »
Good to see you here TnT, good luck and keep us posted on how you are doing.   :tipup:
Bob

Offline Hunt_N_Pike

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #171 on: Dec 06, 2009, 01:06 PM »
Well I guess I better say hello too since I have been lurking around a while. Big fan of the site and some of the pictures you all have been sharing. I have been ice fishing with a buddy for the last couple years, and will continue to do so, but I'm gearing to try and get out a little more with my son, plus its kinda addicting.  ;D I work week on and week off so it allows me the opportunity and flexabilty of time and hitting the local lakes when most are working.

Looking forward to meeting you folks out on the ice, be safe,

Todd

Offline upnorth12345

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #172 on: Dec 08, 2009, 01:33 PM »
Hello.  My name is Mark from Fairbanks.  I stumbled across this forum yesterday and find it very interesting.  I'm planning on going to Birch Lake tomorrow.  I've not been ice fishing since I was 5 years old.  That was, uhm, decades ago?  It should be interesting and fun.

I look forward to reading more.

Mark

Offline PikeSticker

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Another day at the office~!
« Reply #173 on: Dec 09, 2009, 08:58 PM »
Arrived in Alaska way back in the good ol' days. Been shoveling snow and drilling holes for 40 winters now. Ran out of pike on the Kenai Peninsula and during my most recent pike research discovered this forum as a source of enjoyment viewing all the photos of Alaskans' catches and maybe pick up a few pointers here and there. Hope to make it to the Valley a few times this winter on multi-day outings to scout around for some greener pastures to fill the freezer and deep fryer with more poor man's lobster. Prefer to throw the spear over setting the hook but the tip up bucket is always along and utilized too. No sense in missing an opportunity.  Happy Holidays~!
~~~ Keep your powder dry and your nose to the wind~!  Even a stopped clock is right twice a day~!

Offline catchumall

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #174 on: Dec 09, 2009, 09:49 PM »
Its great to see more new members, welcome guys.   :tipup:
Bob

Offline darkhousefisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #175 on: Dec 10, 2009, 12:34 AM »
Welcome Pikesticker.  Good to see a fellow spear chucker on here.

Offline The Hooked One

• IceShanty Rookie
  • 14 lb laker
« Reply #176 on: Dec 10, 2009, 01:46 AM »
Welcome Pikesticker.  Good to see a fellow spear chucker on here.

Isn't this a racial slur???  Some readers may be offended.
<)))=<

Offline PikeSticker

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Another day at the office~!
« Reply #177 on: Dec 10, 2009, 08:47 PM »

Actually I HOPE that I belong to that elite sub-species of homo sapien~!
~~~ Keep your powder dry and your nose to the wind~!  Even a stopped clock is right twice a day~!

Offline kasilofchrisn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #178 on: Dec 11, 2009, 08:53 AM »
 Hello, My name is Chris and I am an Icefishaholic. ;D
I live in Soldotna  and fish for whatever swims below the ice here on the peninsula. I found this site from some guys on the Alaska outdoor forums. I prefer lakes I can snomachine into towing my Eskimo Grandcaravan but will really fish anywhere there is safe ice.
I am a big fan of Icefishing electronics and have a Vexilar FL20 and an Aqua view Spool color underwater camera.
It has been a decent ice fishing season so far this year and it will only get better when I get off the slope again on tuesday. My biggest fish so far this year has been a 20" rainbow but now that I hear we have a little more snow This should not be hard to beat.
I am also a pike spearer but due to the netting program by ADF&G I dont always set up the spear shanty anymore.
 Hard to believe all these guys on here who live in places with no ice until January. On the Peninsula I have icefished as early as October but most years not until some time until late November early December.
Good luck fishing!
KasilofChrisN
"I listen to the voices in my tackle box"

Offline darkhousefisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #179 on: Dec 11, 2009, 10:28 PM »

????????

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.