The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Cordless drill for Auger  (Read 10307 times)

Offline SirCranksalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Cordless drill for Auger
« Reply #60 on: Jan 27, 2018, 08:32 AM »
Man ways to skin that particular cat. a sheet metal or plywood circle(could be square for that matter) with a hole on it. heck, my first was a loose filling eye bolt with a short piece of wood. 
Keep yer stick on the ice!

Offline jedhead

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #61 on: Jan 27, 2018, 11:25 AM »
Anyone ever try a Milwaukee 2663-20   1/2 inch impact gun for drilling? If so how did it work?

Offline 500Magshooter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #62 on: Jan 27, 2018, 11:29 AM »
I wouldn't use an impact, dull your blades and probably snap your adapter. I use a hammer drill but not in hammer mode. Hammer drills tend to have more rugged parts. This is my setup

Offline jedhead

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #63 on: Jan 27, 2018, 12:14 PM »
Thanks for posting that, looks like you have some sharp blades cause it cuts like butter! Looks like I have some shopping to do.

Offline jarhead

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #64 on: Jan 27, 2018, 12:53 PM »
I will stick with my ion 4th year ,same battery,same blades,no gas no oil no fumes no adapters no clam plates and I always leave it sit outside of shanty no matter how cold and have never had a problem.

Offline chumster

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #65 on: Jan 28, 2018, 03:10 PM »
I just upgraded my ION this year. Got the Milwaukee M 18 fuel and my 7" strikemaster auger attached to it. does a fantastic job and only half the weight. Think i'm gonna be selling my ION real soon. It's a great auger but I could afford to upgrade so I did. If anybody is in the market for a great lightly used ION, let me know by PM.

Offline 412fisher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #66 on: Jan 28, 2018, 08:29 PM »
18v Brushless makita with a strike master drill adapter and Mora 6” auger. Drilled about 20-25 holes 10” of ice and still has 2 lights on my battery. It is so nice to get rid of the propane auger weight!! ;D

Offline TroySh90

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #67 on: Jan 28, 2018, 09:01 PM »
Used my father in laws 20v ion with a 6" auger yesterday. Cleared 10 holes on one battery.

Offline Peccavi18

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #68 on: Jan 29, 2018, 09:11 PM »
I run the Milwaukee 2704 with the 9 amp battery and a Nils 6-inch auger with a homemade adapter. I haven't run out of battery yet and there's a hundred plus holes on the battery so far. Granted the ice is between 6 and 10 inches only here but I'm very content with that number of holes out of one battery

Offline Brianm14

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #69 on: Jan 30, 2018, 08:18 AM »
i run a ridgid gen5 18v brushless, 4amp battery with a nils 6 inch. i cut around 40 holes Saturday through 12 inches of ice and had 1/2 battery at the end of the day.... you should be getting alot more than 10 holes... also  this setup will drill faster than any gas, propane, electric auger any day 

Offline Fishsleeprepeat

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #70 on: Feb 11, 2018, 03:50 PM »
I've been a construction worker for close to 20 years. I've used almost every drill on the market. Everyone has their favorites, but the key element to getting the most holes out of a battery is ah (battery capacity). The higher, the better. As far as drills go, Milwaukee probably makes the best drill on the market. Followed by Makita then Dewalt. This is my opinion. But I have used them all. Rigid makes a good drill, but it shuts down when it gets hot, so good luck drilling more than a couple holes at a time.

Offline wryan

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #71 on: Feb 12, 2018, 07:53 AM »
Amazon has the Milwaukee fuel with 2 5Ah batteries and a charger for 240 with free shipping.  I have one and a 6 inch K-drill arriving this week, and I'm excited to see how they perform.

Offline Van_Cleaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #72 on: Feb 12, 2018, 04:05 PM »
I've been using an 18v Makita (not brushless) a clam plate, and an adapter for length. It works great but it came with only 2ah batteries so if the ice is a foot or so you don't have much longevity. Still, I got 25 holes out of one battery through 7" of black ice and I have two batteries. Just ordered a brushless Makita hammer drill a (bare tool) and then 2- 5ah batteries. I'm in construction so at half the price of Home depot on the drill I figure it's all good. Now if the ice will just hold on for a few more weeks...

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.