The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Elect or cordless filleting knifes  (Read 510 times)

Offline Perchdog

• Team IceShanty Regular
Elect or cordless filleting knifes
« on: Feb 24, 2014, 07:16 AM »
Thinking about buying one and not sure whats good and whats not.Anybody use them ?

Offline tackleshack

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Owner of Tackle Shack
Re: Elect or cordless filleting knifes
« Reply #1 on: Feb 24, 2014, 07:27 AM »
Personally, I prefer a good sharp normal knife, but I do own the Rapala electric fillet knife.  For panfish, I've had very good results with it.  I like how numerous power options are available for it too.  I've used it for everything from Bluegills to channel cats and it does a good job. 

Don
Don Kelly

Tackle Shack
9683 Route 287
Wellsboro, PA 16901
570-724-5138
[email protected]
www.wellsborotacklesha ck.com

Shop Online anytime at www.shoptackleshack.co m

Like us on Facebook- www.facebook.com/wellsborotackleshack

Follow us on Twitter
@TackleShackPA

Follow us on Instagram
@Wellsborotackleshack #tackleshack #fishtiogacounty

Offline crappie/slayer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 24, 2014, 08:18 AM »
Get both i use a elect knife when i have a bucket of panfish to fillet them then use a regular knife to cut out the rib cages.
But for trout i prefer the regular knife.Also if i only have a few fish to clean like ten or less id rather use the non elect to clean them becuase its a lot easier to clean.

Offline russelln114

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 24, 2014, 08:25 AM »
I use the American Angler salt water addition electric filet knife for panfish.The reason I went with the salt water one is that it is better built than the regular one. I love mine and have filleted thousands of fish with it. For trout however I use my good old rapala. You have to expect some what of a learning curve  with an electric knife. Once you get good with it you will filet fish pretty quickly.

Offline BIGCREW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 24, 2014, 09:21 AM »
I have a rapala,me personally I prefer just a regular fillet knife,I think the electric knife is to messy because your cutting through the rib cage instead of around it,but if you have a lot to fillet it may be better for you I don't take many just enough for a meal or two

Offline JiggerDan

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Feb 24, 2014, 09:27 AM »
I use an ordinary electric kitchen carving knife, lot cheaper than a filet knife. The only difference from an electric filet knife is a round blade tip as opposed to a pointed one for the filet knife. Mine's a Black & Decker, around 10 to 15 bucks at Wally.
Jesus ain't the only one who walks on water!

Offline WildOutdoorAddict

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Owner NEPL, Pro-Staff for PK Lures & Bobby Garland
« Reply #6 on: Feb 24, 2014, 03:37 PM »
I bought the Berkley Lith-Ion cordless a couple years ago. It works incredibly well from panfish to walleye and lakers. I never owned anything but normal fillet knives before this, but I rarely use a basic fillet knife now.

Offline after-4

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Feb 24, 2014, 04:07 PM »
My Mr. Twister corded fillet bit the dust after 15 years. Bought the same again now with a couple blades for filleting. I use it for Roasts and turkey also. Sometime the cord is a pain but it sure gives you a lot for the buck.

Offline dominator

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Feb 24, 2014, 10:07 PM »
lost old mister twister in a fire it worked great for 20 years so it was a no brainer to buy a new one,problem is it don't work like the old one couldn't cut trough the rib cages and kept poppin the gfi breaker. any one find a difference in the new mister twiters vs the old ones
thanks
GOD BLESS
mo

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.