Author Topic: Tent on ice?  (Read 1661 times)

Offline PGKris

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Iceshanty Trout King
Tent on ice?
« on: Feb 19, 2007, 10:43 PM »
I'm heading out in the morning for a 3 day tenting trip into BC's bush. I was considering setting up my tent on the ice if I couldn't find a decent spot on land. I figure heck why not, it's flat at least. Would you do this? Has anyone done this? The ice where I'm going will be 24" thick at a minimum so I don't see a danger there.....what do you think?
Kris

2007 Lake Trout Champion. Bring it on!

"I never found the companion that was so companionable as solitude"
-Thoreau

Offline MacEnvy

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Tent on ice?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 19, 2007, 10:49 PM »
The only thing I would worry about is slush/water formation underneath.  I've had some BAD nights in wet tents, the worst of which was during a summer storm when I was on an island peninsula.  There was literally a river running through the middle of the tent.

If you can figure out a way to keep it up off the ice (I.E., use a tarp or groundcloth and pin the sides up a little) it might work okay.

How's the wind in BC?  Here in NY, I know we have some trouble keeping the shanties in one spot when the wind is ripping.

If you can overcome slush and wind, and if you've got a good cold weather sleeping bag, I can't see a problem.

Offline PGKris

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Iceshanty Trout King
« Reply #2 on: Feb 19, 2007, 10:57 PM »
I have a groundsheet. Wind won't be a factor as there will be enough snow for me to build a decent windbreak.

-Thoreau

Offline MacEnvy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 19, 2007, 11:15 PM »
Should be fine then.  As long as you can stay dry and out of the wind, you may as well fish through the night while you're at it!

Some of my favorite ice fishing memories are from spening the night out in a shanty fishing for lakers in the Adirondacks in high school.

Tight lines, and stay warm.

Offline TrekJeff

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 19, 2007, 11:17 PM »
Sounds like an awesome trip!  Set up on the windward side and stake it down.  :tipup:
"For those who have fought for it, Freedom has a taste the protected will never know"

Offline PGKris

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Iceshanty Trout King
« Reply #5 on: Feb 19, 2007, 11:45 PM »
This isn't a shanty, this is a tent. The only problem I can forsee is the ice being a damn cold surface to sleep on.

-Thoreau

Offline srobocop

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 19, 2007, 11:50 PM »
try getting a insulated ground mat/padding to sleep on, shouldnt be too bad then as long as you have a decent sleeping bag. goodluck.
-Sro
"I ain't from Michigan, I'm from the U.P."

Offline dabluz

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Feb 20, 2007, 02:20 AM »
Bring along a good piece of tarp and place some evergreen boughs under your tarp than place your insulated mattress over the tarp.  Pile up a good 6 to 8 inches of evergreen boughs to keep you well off the ice.  Tuck the edge of the tarp under the boughs a bit to keep the pile of boughs in place.

Offline 1TIGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • SAFE ICE TO ALL !
« Reply #8 on: Feb 20, 2007, 10:09 AM »
I agree with the cot idea , keeping off the ground will be key in staying warm at night !
Be careful with whatever you decide to use for heat , I would think about taking along a carbon monoxide detector , real cheap insurance considering the consequences !

Good Luck and Tight Lines !!!

Offline bud

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • never put off till tom. what you can catch today!
« Reply #9 on: Feb 20, 2007, 07:47 PM »
let us know how it goes!  I'd been thinking of doing this for yrs!
BUD

Offline TrekJeff

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 21, 2007, 09:38 AM »
Take some picture of the area, make the rest of us envy...hahaha
"For those who have fought for it, Freedom has a taste the protected will never know"

Offline putback

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Feb 23, 2007, 05:14 PM »
If your sure of the ice do it, I've done it often. Hope for no wind, clear sky and full moon, its beautiful. Wait till you hear the ice at night beneath your ear! Ask a local boyscout for tips on under tent strategy.

Offline HomerJay

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Feb 23, 2007, 05:47 PM »
Tarp.... Thats the only important thing. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.