Author Topic: A Barb Past The Skin - Who's done it?  (Read 3555 times)

Offline mono_mono

• Team IceShanty Addict
A Barb Past The Skin - Who's done it?
« on: Feb 15, 2018, 06:22 AM »
I almost did it yesterday! I did it once in the summer of 89, a rapala hook into the center of my thumb. Went to the ER. I don't have the courage for the yank and crank!
Go to Heaven for the climate, to hell for the company!

Offline mosely

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: A Barb Past The Skin - Who's done it?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 15, 2018, 06:40 AM »
Not personally, but i saw a guy who put one in his thumb.  Me and a couple other guys offered to help him get it out.  He turned us down, but a few minutes later I heard him a 100 yards away when he pulled it out!

Offline mono_mono

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Feb 15, 2018, 06:41 AM »
The screeeeech?? lol

Offline deer george

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 15, 2018, 07:01 AM »
Both of my sons did it the same day at a local youth trout day, first the 6 yr old got hooked in the finger so up to the ER we go. got back to the creek only to have to take the 8 yr old up there for the same thing. I tried to remove the hooks my self but neither one of the them would have any of that but all in all it was a good day .....

Offline RyanW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 15, 2018, 07:17 AM »
Yup.... LiveTarget Perch.

“When the fish are biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using. When the fish aren’t biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using” - Uncle Dave

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #5 on: Feb 15, 2018, 07:21 AM »
I've been wired up numerous times. Lessee... 7 times, I believe, hands x 5, a shin and an ear. Here's one:

Only one trip to the ER in the lot. $485 worth of education right there. Never again. Three basic methods for removal.

1. If it's close to thru and thru, finish the job, cut at the barb and back it out. Don't go slow, pop it thru and don't ask how I learned that.

2. The fishing line method. It works surprisingly well but you need to know what you are doing and have a partner you trust.

3. Slide a hypodermic needle (18 ga minimum) in the entry hole (no syringe) and try to engage the barb in the hole of the needle. If successful this effectively extends the barb back out the wound channel and you can easily back the hook out without having to cut anything. Learned this in the ER.

Basic first aid kit always includes a length of heavy line (100# PowerPro), a needle, some alcohol wipes and a styptic pencil along with the requisite band-aids and Neosporin.
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #6 on: Feb 15, 2018, 07:22 AM »
I did a few times..1 required a hospital visit.i was unhooking a rapala out of a rock bass and it flopped around and the whole barb went in my thumb and the hook point and barb where under my thumb nail.!!couldn't push the barb thru and cut it..funny while I was in the er I  saw a guy with a k and e bass worm with all 3 hooks across his face.all the rest I calmly push the barb thru,cut it and slide the hook out.

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē F˙Sh
« Reply #7 on: Feb 15, 2018, 07:31 AM »
The latest one....

Offline mono_mono

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Feb 15, 2018, 07:39 AM »
Can we get a close up next time guys. lol. Man, some of these are hard to look at!!

Offline Osage

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If it ain't my business,It ain't my business !!!
« Reply #9 on: Feb 15, 2018, 08:01 AM »
Double hooked a treble into the tricep of my right arm,My younger brother passed out trying to help me remove it.I eventually popped both barbs ahead through,cut the barbs and slid them back out.You would be surprised at how far the skin on the back of your arm will stretch  :o

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #10 on: Feb 15, 2018, 08:32 AM »
With all the musky fishing I have done yet the only time was setting up a ice fishing tip up a #8 treble hook buried in my thumb. The waiting and thought of pulling it back out was much worse than when I actually got the nerve to do it. I hardly felt it. Now with that said 2 times I have had to remove big musky lure treble hooks from other people, now that was a challenge and not fun.

Offline reelrusty

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Feb 15, 2018, 08:43 AM »
 ;D Been there. Done that. Twice! As a lifetime fisherman and a retired E.D. R.N. I can say the line loop method really does work well but critical is the pressure on the shaft of the hook. 18ga needle trick is good too. Just don't use the same one you keep in your tackle box for a worm inflator! DON'T FORGET TO UPDATE YOUR TETANUS VACCINE!!! Ya got about 24 hour window for this so quick care or Dr. office ok. Keep careful eye out for infection.  Stay safe out there all and as you're reading this make or check your basic pocket first aid kit that I know everyone ALWAYS packs! :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #12 on: Feb 15, 2018, 08:48 AM »
I couldn’t do the line loop method because I was by myself, a needle nose pliers worked just as good. Do it with a quick snap.

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Feb 15, 2018, 09:03 AM »
Ouch! Those are some cringe inducing pics. I’ve never had one go that deep, but I always debarb all my hooks for easy removal, better for the fish and myself if that ever happens.

Offline kpd145

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Shove 'em in
« Reply #14 on: Feb 15, 2018, 09:16 AM »
Did it years go on my right hand. It went between my first knuckle on index finger. I buried it.

Had to drive a stuck shift car 20 miles to clinic.

Popped it through other side. I got a bandage and went back fishing.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming, "Wow! What a RIDE!"--Hunter S. Thompson

Offline PazzoCorso

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Feb 15, 2018, 10:09 AM »
I did it when I was 12 or 13. Fishing during the summer at my family reunion. Caught a small pickerel on a rapala and yanked it in to hard. Buried both trebles into my calf with the fish still on. Luck for me we had an old army medic that took them out. The pain was making me leak gas, he told me not to worry. He'd seen grown men do worse... God I miss Uncle George :o

Offline Northern_MN Outdoorsan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Feb 15, 2018, 10:32 AM »
Got one once in on my right hand knuckle. Just pulled until the hole tore large enough to pull it out the same way it went in.

Offline bearnoob

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Feb 15, 2018, 10:41 AM »
Just pulled until the hole tore large enough to pull it out the same way it went in.

Ditto but it was a small hook.
Hardwater fisherman since 2014. All opinions subject to change as experience increases.

Offline Bassmaster16

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Feb 15, 2018, 10:41 AM »
i've done it way too many times. not paying attention when grabbing stuff or yanking a snag out. had a couple go under the finger nails once. best thing to do is put a stick or something you can bite down on and push the hook through crimp the barb down and back it out. thats all they do at the er.

Offline darkeyez

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Feb 15, 2018, 10:42 AM »
Had one buried in the knuckle of my thumb with a squirming pickerel still hanging on one of the other hooks. Try to get a fish off a hook, or the hook out, with 1 hand! Somehow I managed to get the fish off and then remove the hook.
Years ago I saw a guy manage to get both hands hooked on a flatfish, doctor made a comment about it was the most effective pair of handcuffs that he had ever seen!

Offline Bassmaster16

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Feb 15, 2018, 10:43 AM »
forgot to mention if you can't push it through. my daughter once buried a hook in her toe straight in. (must of dropped it on the carpet and didn't realize it) take a fillet knife and make a tiny slit on the barb side of the hook. it'll help the barb back out better without doing to much tissue damage.

Offline SHaRPS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #21 on: Feb 15, 2018, 11:17 AM »
Double hooked a treble into the tricep of my right arm,My younger brother passed out trying to help me remove it.I eventually popped both barbs ahead through,cut the barbs and slid them back out.You would be surprised at how far the skin on the back of your arm will stretch  :o

You would be surprised how much farther the skin on the back of your hand stretches. Talk about a rubber band. In all honesty i would say about 4 - 5" before it popped out.
Just add water.

Offline BlueSail

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Feb 15, 2018, 11:26 AM »
I never thought to photo my "oh crap" moments...maybe next time...

First time - caught a small pickerel close to the boat, lively, and it drove a hook through meat of hand while he continued to thrash about. It was beginning of fishing contest so wasn't about to do anything but continue to fish, pushed through and snipped, glad to have big needle nose pliers...
Last time, 20" pike drove two hooks from one treble through past barb into two different fingers. I was a mile away from my friends cabin in the Adirondacks, solo kayak. Tried to paddle, couldn't, did not have pliers/snips, had no choice but to yank them out. Now that was painful! Bled for a long time, no bandages in kayak, blood was dripping down my arm as I paddled, glad not to have been in the ocean!
My pliers are now mandatory, even on short trips...

Offline RapShack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Feb 15, 2018, 11:34 AM »
Only did it once.  Luckily it hit bone and that kept it from burying in too far.  Just yanked it out with a pliers and kept fishing.  Some day a pike with a Spook or Husky Jerk hanging out his maw is gonna have his revenge.
I'm a man, but I can change, If I have to, I guess.

Offline StevenB

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Feb 15, 2018, 11:37 AM »
Years ago a buddy of mine and I went to a pond in Denmark Maine after bass and decided to go the night before, sleep at camp and get a nice early start.
When we got to camp, my buddy suggests we make a few casts, see if we can get a night bite. Second cast I land a nice smally, but when I lipped him, he did a big thrash and sunk the treble deep into my thumb.
I tried icing and numbing the thumb and cutting it out and my buddy couldn't help, too squimish. So after a half hour of attempts, we drive an hour back to a Portland hospital and the ER Doctor injected a local and just ripped the jitter bug out.
We drive back to camp with my thumb all bandaged, sleep a couple hours and fished 4 hours all over the pond without one bite. UGH!!
Lesson learned, no more night fishing for me

Offline PoleJerker

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Feb 15, 2018, 11:55 AM »
Unfortunately I've been there.  Once to the back of the head while fishing in Canada.  Two buddies in the boat with me.  One removed the hook while the other suddenly became sick to his stomach.  Only hurt till the pain went away.

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #26 on: Feb 15, 2018, 12:00 PM »
4 times in my hand ,my fault and once in the top of the head complements of a fishing buddy..
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline kevs

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #27 on: Feb 15, 2018, 12:01 PM »
  Several years ago was down at a local river fishing with my brother and some friends. One of the fellas kept walking behind us as we were casting and telling us to watch where we were throwing our baits. I went to cast and thought I had snagged a limb behind me. I gave it a tug as I turned around and heard my friend let out a scream. One of the hooks had went straight up thru his nostril and out the top of his nose. Blood had commenced to flowing from the place he was impaled, his skin turned pale and his eyes got that look like he was ready to take a nap. Amidst all the laughing we took hold of him and got him sat down, cut the line and with one quick jerk had the hook out his flesh. The tears were flowing but not near as much as the blood or heckling. He left and we went back to fishing. I don't recall him ever going fishing with us again.   

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Feb 15, 2018, 12:29 PM »
Little hooks all the time but they don't hurt much. Once my buddy wanted to cast crankbaits and I got it in the side of the head after maybe the tenth cast. Pulled my hat off, my glasses off and ripped up several places on my face and ears. Now, if someone wants to cast cranks I say take me to shore first.
Every plastics manufacturer claims plastics outfish livebait. So now I use livebait just for the increased challenge.

Offline mono_mono

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #29 on: Feb 15, 2018, 12:32 PM »
These stories are great!! Keep them coming!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.