Author Topic: Looking for a new walleye jigging rod  (Read 3559 times)

Offline NDiceMan72

• IceShanty Rookie
Looking for a new walleye jigging rod
« on: Oct 23, 2016, 05:00 PM »
Hey, everyone. I am in the market for a new walleye jigging rod for this season. I have 30″ Medium action HT impacts right now and do not care for them at all. Got both for a whole $7 brand new for last season….so not out a whole bunch of money. I am not in the market to go to a full custom rod as of right now. I had a 13 fishing 26″ ML white noise that I did like, but it ended up suffering beyond repairable damage before last season!! So anyway, the rods I am currently looking at are in the 26-27″ range. I have 2 brand new HT 6 ball bearing reels that I really like that are on my HT rods but I am going to be using these reels for my new rod(s), so I only need to buy a bare rod. I am looking at the 13 fishing tickle stick, Fenwick elite tech, and the beaver dam titanium tip stick.

http://beaverdamicefishing.com/shop-ice-rods/

http://www.13fishing.com/ticklestick-2/

http://www.fenwickfishing.com/fenwick-ice-fishing-rods-fenwick-elite-tech/fenwick-elite-tech-ice-spinning-rod/1358432.html

What are your guys’ opinions on these 3 rods??? I like the idea of the flat tip on the tickle stick, but I do like the retractable spring bobber on the beaver dams. Any help is appreciated! Thanks

Offline npauls

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish Hard Or Go Home!
Re: Looking for a new walleye jigging rod
« Reply #1 on: Oct 23, 2016, 05:31 PM »
I bought a 42" fenwick elite medium action last year and it is my go to walleye rod.

Offline Old Goat

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Oct 23, 2016, 07:06 PM »
Jason Mitchell Elite Series 28" Walleye

Offline BigSling

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Oct 23, 2016, 09:41 PM »
I've got a couple Fenwick Elite Techs I use for jigging pike and have no complaints. If you're looking for something for smaller lures like spoons and small jigging raps, the 26" ML should work well and the 27" M could be an option for larger raps and ripping rattle baits. They fill the gap well between the more 'value' rods and the higher end custom rods.

Offline greenbackhunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Oct 23, 2016, 09:55 PM »
Take a look at the new quantum rods. Very good value for the money. I bought a 42"mh for ripping crankbaits, a 34" mh for spoons, a 32" m for perch. Good rod for a production rod. Good price point.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #5 on: Oct 23, 2016, 10:21 PM »

Look at the Wright & McGill ice rods.

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Oct 23, 2016, 10:51 PM »
If your spring bobber is built in what happens when the wire breaks.. you got to buy another rod at 49.99 your not out a ton but that's just a point. If I buy spring bobbers mine are schoolly style bobbers on all my ice rods there made just right for fishing all fish and iam use to them and their readily avaible.  I tape mine on with electrical tape .. but any how I like the ellite tec rods buy 13 fishing not bad either.. for sure play with before you by them see which you like best.. some mediums are build like noodles and others broom sticks.. that alone is why I always select in person and not mail order..

Offline javabone

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Oct 24, 2016, 04:35 AM »
I am trying out some vexan ice rods.  They just started selling them but the company has been making musky/walleye/bass rods for years (tackle industries).  They also donate to veteran causes, which I like.  I just received a few so haven't tried them out, but they seem to be great quality.

Offline OIM

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Oct 24, 2016, 05:29 AM »
Ice Hopper Ice Slammer any of the ML to Heavies: http://sportsmensdirect.com/shop/ice-rods-combos/hwi-ice-slammer-rod/

Ice Hopper Extreme Taper Rod 32 Carbon Model:http://sportsmensdirect.com/shop/ice-rods-combos/ice-hopper-extreme-taper-rod/

For a livebait minnow rod The Flat Line II would be my pick: http://sportsmensdirect.com/shop/ice-rods-combos/ice-hopper-flat-line-ii-ice-fishing-rod/

I know 8 Tackle company has some really nice rods coming also:

http://sportsmensdirect.com/shop/ice-rods-combos/no8-tackle-microtech-walleye-ice-combo/
http://sportsmensdirect.com/shop/ice-rods-combos/no-8-tackle-prime-ice-rod/

Offline 52isntbigenough

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Red Drum aren't Trout
« Reply #9 on: Oct 24, 2016, 08:54 AM »
I may get a new Mojo from St Croix. 32" H.

Offline tarmstrong24

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Can't see that from your couch!
« Reply #10 on: Oct 24, 2016, 09:20 AM »
I absolutely love the 13 ticklesticks.  I have them in sul, l and a ml for eyes.  Stupid strong and sensitive.  I was jigging for crappie last year with my sul, had a couple flags kick so I put it in the holder, get back after I get my tipups squared away and its bent into the water.  Make a long story short I pulled out a 20+ inch smallie.  You get what you pay for and those things are beasts!

Offline Old Goat

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Oct 24, 2016, 10:52 AM »
NDiceMan72  I checked the Jason Mitchell against the Brown and Gold Fenwick Elite Techs and it is a hair stiffer Anyone of these 3 would probably work out. IMHO JM # 1 Brown&Gold Fenwick MH # 2 and Brown&Gold M Fenwick #3

Offline JiggingIowa

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Oct 24, 2016, 11:15 AM »
I absolutely love the 13 ticklesticks.  I have them in sul, l and a ml for eyes.  Stupid strong and sensitive.  I was jigging for crappie last year with my sul, had a couple flags kick so I put it in the holder, get back after I get my tipups squared away and its bent into the water.  Make a long story short I pulled out a 20+ inch smallie.  You get what you pay for and those things are beasts!
This may be the first time I've heard these called stupid strong. Save up another $40 and get a custom if you want a superior noodle rod IMO. These have had chronic problems with the tips breaking, especially the first generation. I know they worked to remedy this with a second generation rod this last year, but witnessed those break as well. For a $50 rod, that shouldn't happen.

Offline tarmstrong24

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Can't see that from your couch!
« Reply #13 on: Oct 24, 2016, 07:41 PM »
I have all gen 2's and have opened up my case to find the tips bent right over from the getting spooled too much.  I've also found them bent backwards all the way over.  Yet to have one break but I did have the lime green paint come off one, which they replaced.  Love them and theres bad versions of everything.  I've had the "best" ice rods break with little to no pressure.

This may be the first time I've heard these called stupid strong. Save up another $40 and get a custom if you want a superior noodle rod IMO. These have had chronic problems with the tips breaking, especially the first generation. I know they worked to remedy this with a second generation rod this last year, but witnessed those break as well. For a $50 rod, that shouldn't happen.

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Oct 24, 2016, 10:27 PM »
Get a MHx 32" carbon Ul quiverstick and build the kit...hands down the best walleye jigging rod up to about 1/8 oz

It's would go up to about 1/4oz if using mono line at over 20fow

Don't let the ul rating fool you

Catchin' Fish

Offline gola yona

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Oct 25, 2016, 12:53 AM »
Try eBay man, just search and boom results
Tight lines

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #16 on: Oct 25, 2016, 08:19 AM »
I use  St. Croix Premiers 28" and 32" in MH and H. Works fine with #5 thru #9 jiggin raps, 1/2 and 5/8 oz. blade baits. Good feel and excellent hookset.   Im tough on rods and havent broken them yet in 4 years.  They cost like $30.
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline defish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Oct 26, 2016, 08:47 AM »

The Tickle Stick (flat blank) type rods are likely more prone to "High-Sticking" breakage (pointing a rod straight up in the air to lift or fight a fish) than a conventional rod blank. If used as intended they should work well.

Offline mushroom_capd_1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Oct 26, 2016, 01:34 PM »
My favorite walleye rods are  the St. Croix Avid ice m/l, 13fishing whiteout in M and M/L, and the Jason Mitchell walleye 28" and perch 26". All decent off the rack ice rods.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.