Author Topic: [CONTEST] No Ice Blues?  (Read 6178 times)

Offline Iceshanty

• Admin
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Unwilling to leave the fish I have not caught yet
[CONTEST] No Ice Blues?
« on: Dec 20, 2019, 12:18 PM »
I know many of our members have not had a good ice season for at least 4 years. With the pending warm front putting an end to ice making for while in the southern ice belt I was thinking of a contest where you tell us how bad it really is in 500 words or less.  For the best 3 posts that really makes us feel your no hardwater pain I put together a nice prize package. Going have JT help me judge the entries as he can really feel your pain being without good ice nearby him for 4 years.   Feel free to use videos, illustrations, eight-by-ten colour glossy photographs with circles and arrows and a paragraph on the back of each one explaining what each one was to be used as evidence against you.  ;)

To Enter:
Post your pain here
500 words or less
Entries allowed until midnight Dec 27th 2019

The Prize package

CJS Ball cap, rat finkees, glazba, slender spoon, TI flag, your state patch and bumper sticker.
What's cooler than being cool? Ice cold

´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((((º>                                
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><(((º> 
´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><(((((((((º>

Offline nindo24

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: [CONTEST] No Ice Blues?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 20, 2019, 12:44 PM »
NO ICE BLUES

I was lucky enough to harvest a doe in archery and a buck the first day of the rifle season here in PA. I have been chomping at the bit to get on some hardwater since I harvested the doe. Last year I broke down and bought a shanty, as well as an inline reel to try it out & a Buddy heater. This year I purchased a propane auger, Vexilar FLX12, and ice fishing specific bibs and jacket. Outside of buying an attachment to cook on my buddy heater and a spud bar, I am pretty well decked out. Alas, NO ICE. I have been checking iceshanty no less than weekly since the end of October just to see other peoples reports, and no less than daily since the beginning of December. I've even called around to tackle shops in the Erie area for when to expect ice on Presque Isle Bay as I want to try that this year. Not to mention all the YouTube videos I've been watching of the first ice videos for this year. And that's all just this year! I am itching for some ice.

For those of you already fishing, "Keep your stick on the ice". Gotta Love that Red Green
Keep Your Stick On The Ice!

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #2 on: Dec 20, 2019, 02:17 PM »
I sit on iceshanty.com all day waiting for ice, to get on by January 15th would be nice.spend 1000s of dollars on all the new gear to get out on the ice fewer times each year.knowing by the time i get out the end is already near..quick poem by doc.ps waiting for ice sucks!!

Offline cnote72

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 20, 2019, 02:42 PM »
I live in Kansas, enough said

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Dec 20, 2019, 03:59 PM »
this year, I started rod building. I have limited myself to ice rods. stocked up on guides, various grips and reel seats, threads, epoxies, rod drier, rod blanks, watched a ton of how to videos and whatnot. I stocked up on Tungsten jigs, poured a bunch of plastic baits, trapped/caught over 200 shiners that are too big for the crappie and perch that I go after. got night crawlers left over from October. My grandson is dying to go, A buddy is getting his piss in an uproar about going fishing. He's been calling me every other day. "How long will it be? How long's it take to freeze? How much do we need?" Imagine that little kid with all the why questions. He's worse! I rigged up my flipover with lights. Mother Nature is cruel, the way she teases us. makes it cold enough to start freezing the ponds, then it snows a ton, getting us all excited. Then the temps hit 60* and it rains for 2 days, meting all the ice. starts getting cold again, 2-3 inches of snow, super cold and now week of Christmas, it's going to be in the 40's (CRAP!). So much for getting ice time by Christmas. SANTA, I've been good this year. I take care of my grandson's puppy 3 days a week. Please, SANTA, all I want for Christmas is enough ice to  kinda safely fish on. 

Offline Blackfish17

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 20, 2019, 04:24 PM »
It's so bad I contemplated not even entering the contest because I wouldn't get a chance to use the tackle.

Offline CMS

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 20, 2019, 05:15 PM »
I am self employed with three kids and the whoopsie number 4 on the way.  It is getting harder every year to take off on my free day to go fishing.  With baby due at the end of February, I made a deal with the wife that I could get as much ice time in until he arrives.  I bought a couple new poles and have some new techniques and areas I want to try but cannot get a break in the weather.

Offline marmooskapaul

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 20, 2019, 05:19 PM »
I'm out of bluegills! I'M OUT OF BLUEGILLS!!!!! First time in years!!

Offline MNice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 20, 2019, 05:21 PM »
I finally get in on a contest and I have to write an essay?!?!   Holy cow, now when will I have time to walk out the door and get on the lake??

Stressfully submitted.

Offline OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Take a kid fishing! Pay it forward!!
« Reply #9 on: Dec 20, 2019, 05:40 PM »
Living here in SW Ohio on the fringe of the ice belt, all I can do is reminiscence on my days in Minnesota and time spent in Maine when in the Navy.  Every now and again we'll get good ice down here, but then it warms up and it's not safe, I can drive an hour and a half or more to find ice, but at my age (75+) It's getting difficult to travel that far. So I come on IS to live vicariously through other's fishing exploits and to chip in with advise when I can be of help. I try to help make everyone smile through the JOKES section and in other ways. Maybe I'll win the lottery and be able to move back up to Minnesnowta and get on good ice again. I'm just thankful that I have IS to keep me in the game, even if not physically.  :icefish:
My two favorite college football teams are Ohio State and whoever's playing Michigan!!!

Don't reel against the drag!!!

Ex Minnesnowta lad! You can take the lad out of Minnesnowta, but you can't take Minnesnowta out of the lad!!

Offline pa-iceman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 20, 2019, 08:58 PM »
This will be the first year that my daughter (5years old) will be going ice fishing with me. I am hoping this will be the first of many years.  She has her own pink tip-ups and is ready to go.  The only thing we need now is ICE.  She has been my little fishing buddy this past summer and loves going.  I love that it doesn't matter what we catch or how big the fish is.  She is having fun with her dad and thats the best thing to have. I am just waiting for the weather to cooperate, so we can make more memories.  COME ON ICE.

Offline UFCreel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Dec 21, 2019, 06:22 AM »
Illinois. Need i say more?
Flags up! Bobbers down!

Offline Slab catcher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 21, 2019, 07:00 AM »
Well my blues start around this time every year ☹️ Living in central Indiana ice fishing is not what it use to be when I was a kid we ice fished most of the winter back then and now we are lucky to get a week some years.

As you can see from our 10 day forecast not going to be anytime soon. Luckily I have a close friend that lives in Minnesota and that’s my saving grase!! So I make the 10 hour drive one way and spend a week doing what I love!!!!

Spend a lot of time watching the cams that the resorts on Mille Lacs have and watch other fishermen heading out in the mornings and then returning in the evenings wishing I was there🙁

So I set my shanty up in our living room and let the grandson act like he is fishing

And I tell him stories of when we fished all winter long.

So we just keep waiting and hopeing for some artic air to head our way!! So we can get on em!!!!

Tight Lines!!

Offline dearjimschmidt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Dec 21, 2019, 08:51 AM »
The one time we were able to get out last year.

River City Baits - Fort Wayne Indiana

Offline olds-Pa

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #14 on: Dec 21, 2019, 09:20 AM »
I'm not a believer in the global warming hype, but I'm pretty sure a bunch of us ice fishers can't deny the weather has changed. My belief it's just a natural cycle and will eventually change back. There was a time in the 70's I could set tip-ups and hunt deer at the same time. No more though. The downside for me is I am getting old and decrepit at 76 and find it difficult to get around much, so I want to be absolutely sure it's safe ice before going out. That hasn't happened  for several years now in western PA. After 3 dunks through the ice in my younger days, I have a tendency to be a lot safer. Already this year just as the lakes re beginning to cap over, here comes at least a 5 day warm spell once again. We just can't seem to win for losing. For those that do get out, best of luck to you and be safe...

Offline bean counter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Dec 21, 2019, 10:04 AM »
mid-northern Indiana here. Was lucky enough to have a buddy invite me to "safe" Indiana channel ice yesterday!  Spend daybreak to 10 am on a talking solid 3 inches!!!  We stayed dry and iced 8 gills before Christmas!!!  Woohoo!!!!  oh wait, chipper news chicky this morning is excitedly talking about the warm weather coming,  >:(  SO, please please please don't let yesterday be the only ice i get this year - besides in my glass (clink clink).  I'd include a picture of me sitting in my shanty in my garage, but it's sad - nobody wants to see that.  tick tock tick tock where's a polar vortex when you need one.

Offline MumbleSEED

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • "If you plant corn you get corn!"
« Reply #16 on: Dec 21, 2019, 11:09 AM »
I got the ice blues so bad I found 2.5 inches of ice on a private pond today and contemplated punching holes and watching my poles from shore.   I was geared up full battle rattle but didn't end up wetting a line.   Come on Polar Vortex! 
If only God would come down in the form of a man and explain everything to us.

Offline rivereddy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Dec 21, 2019, 04:15 PM »
Meanwhile: 100 miles south of the "Ice Line..."

Shoot, round h'yar we most always have two inches of clear hard ice - just in time for the opener of the short duck season. The season lasts about 5 days which is usually about as long as the ice stays.  It then thaws and stays that way until who knows when. Two years ago, the ice never did get safe.  Last year we had a ripping cold front come through...Six days of subfreezing temps put on 5 inches of clear black ice and we were on it.  I got out that first day  and managed to put a minor whoopin' on the bluegills. When I returned the next morning, I was hoping to pick up where I left off , but conditions had changed.  Overnight it clouded up and got warm.  The wind picked up and blew straight out of the south. Mid day it began to rain hard and kept raining all day.  By evening there was a 2 foot gap between the ice and the shore. What the rain didn't drown, the wind chopped up.

And that's how one can have a 36 HOUR ice fishing season.......

fish on,

rivereddy

Offline aacosta

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Dec 21, 2019, 04:37 PM »
It was a promising November, cold came and then went. Hopeful thinking for Christmas ice. Hope's were bashed with the 50 degree 10 day forecast. I check iceshanty multiple times a day, living through the lucky few, dreaming of the day ice will come and stay. I've already spent $500 in ice gear... and santa hasn't even showed up yet. My 3 year old keeps watching ice fishing on YouTube with me and says " when can we catch big fish daddy?" I can only say, hopefully next year son, we got the ice blues.

Offline fish/hunt4ever

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Dec 22, 2019, 07:33 AM »
Well we had a nice cold front come through at the end of October and when I came off the mountain with the elk in the back of the truck there was ice forming on the lake. Then the 50 degree days came and took care of that through November. But Thanksgiving came and it got cold. So we now have ice but the renters are moving out of the house and the wife and I decided to put it on the market to sell so with ice in the lakes I am in working on the house getting it ready so I do not know what is worse not having ice or the season is going and I cannot go because of the house project. Going crazy trying to get it done so I can go. Good luck for all to get on the ice this year.

Edit well got out to check things out and make sure I still know how to start and set everything up. Even caught some fish

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #20 on: Dec 22, 2019, 08:12 AM »
I sit on iceshanty.com all day waiting for ice, to get on by January 15th would be nice.spend 1000s of dollars on all the new gear to get out on the ice fewer times each year.knowing by the time i get out the end is already near..quick poem by doc.ps waiting for ice sucks!!

You're a poet but didn't know it...and your feet are Longfellows. 😁
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline Evinrude58

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Dec 22, 2019, 10:39 AM »
First let me say I like the Alice's Restaurant reference.

I have 11 grandkids who all like to fish. I would say ice fish but ice hasn't been safe enough to take them for the last 5 years, 8 of them are still waiting to get to go for the first time. Hope I get to take them before they are adults.

Offline IceholeHEN

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Dec 23, 2019, 01:23 PM »
I got them ice blues as well. I had to download an Ice Fishing app on my phone. I go outside at night (when its coldest) and sit on my bucket with my gear all around me and the Vexilar running, while playing a game. Sure I'll catch way bigger fish and different species that I normally would target, but it definitely ain't the same. My wife thinks there is something seriously wrong with me. Oh well, here is to safe ice soon.
To catch them all…you gotta catch them small

Offline SKIFFLAKEJIMMY

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Dec 23, 2019, 02:04 PM »
Ice is like sex. You never know when you're gonna get some. You never know how much you're gonna get. You always want more and you wish it would last longer.
Thank you Lord for thinkin bout me. I'm alive and doin fine!!!!!!

Offline Mcmich

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Dec 23, 2019, 03:50 PM »
Well for me it started last year.  I have not ice fished in awhile, never had an auger, always spudded.  Some of you youngsters may not know what that is.  Its a 15llb piece rerod pole with a sharp chisel (sharp for a few holes) that will tear up your hands and give you chest pains.  Well I got a laser auger last year late in the season and it was game on.  I am now the proud owner of a 2 man thermal, Milwaukee hammer drill with extension, Two 5AH batteries, 3 new fishing poles (my 1980's gear was a bit dated), Stryker bibs, Lowrance hook2 7 with an ice ducer, numerous pieces of new tackle, a buddy heater with a 12 ft hose and a 10lb propane tank, 2 refillable 1lb tanks, made a hard case for the rods, numerous other things like a battery box, etc...Gotta stop, I am getting dizzy.

Long story short, I was just out washing my truck in the driveway with a regular shirt on.  Bring it snow miser

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #25 on: Dec 23, 2019, 07:03 PM »
I'm not entering as I never have this issue. But I do want to say I feel for you IJ brothers and sisters!!! May you have a Merry Christmas and a happy New Year. I'll be thinking of you as I drill though feet of clear blue ice.  :afro:

Offline Mcmich

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Dec 23, 2019, 07:12 PM »
my vote is for grandpa and

Offline RyanW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Dec 23, 2019, 07:41 PM »
Hell. Physically depressing. Life’s cruel jokes.

I was able to get out for a few hours on Dec. 19. The earliest I’ve ever been out. Got home and realized I had lost my wedding ring. 11 years this April. Then the weather turned to mid 40’s and all signs of winter left. So, my wedding ring now resides at the bottom of a lake. I almost didn’t check the ice that day too.

All I ever want to do is go fishing. I don’t river fish and don’t own a boat so the late fall until first ice is always a stressful time for me. Fishing is my therapy and it works very well. When I can’t go, I get physically depressed. I know it sounds dumb but I hate taking pills and fishing is way for me to cope that is actually healthy. Fresh air and good times. Can’t beat it. These short winters we’ve been having certainly doesn’t help one maintain their sanity for very long though. Getting teased in October kind of adds a little insult to injury too.  :tipup:
“When the fish are biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using. When the fish aren’t biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using” - Uncle Dave

Offline 1MOFISH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • The ice is always safe are you in ???????????????
« Reply #28 on: Dec 23, 2019, 08:42 PM »
well,i'm not well? i'm not well and i forget why?why am i writing this?oh, thats right its a contest,well i forget whats the contests about?better start over and read the instrutions? ok i got it,its about the miserable weather we are having?its 56 and sunny here in western pa.,about the same in SANTA CRUZ,Ca.?really,now,i'm about to blow a gasket?why,i dont why, i can't remember?the guy in the mirror can't remember either?can you tell me? oh you did,i don't remember well?can someone tell me why, well you did,why don't i remember what you told me?do you remember? ice oh ya,icefishing oh ya i still dont remember? do you remember ice,icefishing?no,why not?oh you also have forgoten? are we getting old or something?i don't remember how i could have forgoten?oh you said we used to icefish in november?when,where,how?i faintly remember,do you?remember what,oh ya early ice?late ice you say,i don't remember?remember when we used to icefish in april?april fools i'm told,there was no ice, well i dont remember?frankly i don't remember why i'm writing this?do you,remember?well,i'm not well?I'm not well and i don't remember why,NO ICE,i'm glad i can't remember to too depressing a subject?
GOD BLESS you all
mo
LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART AND SOUL AND STRENGTH and'LOVE THY NEiGHBOR AS THYSELF'   GOD

Offline captain54

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Dec 23, 2019, 09:21 PM »
Ice season been so bad.( last 4 years)....I was forced to buy a boat..... I figured I'd enter and win more tackle....that stays in mint condition from lack of use......its pretty bad using my tickle stick and Vex over the side of my Crestliner in February and March. I'm glad I bought a Striker float suit two years ago...ever run tip- ups off your boat.....I did......make shift Styrofoam raft......safety rope to get it away from the boat.....slowly retrieve back to the boat and set the hook....draw backs choppy waters and setting the hook.....just and old ice fishermen adapting to global warming.....my wife wants to move south.....I want to move north.....anyone interested in 60 years worth of ice fishing equipment.....just kidding.....

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.