The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Blanchard Lake gate? (up by Whitefish)  (Read 665 times)

Offline MT Hank

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • My Fishin Buddy
Blanchard Lake gate? (up by Whitefish)
« on: Jan 05, 2014, 01:32 PM »
I want to fish Blanchard for Crappie late afternoon's and after dark up into the early evening...

1st. question:
I have the understanding that they close the gates at the public ramp to Blanchard at dark... Is this correct? And if they do is there another way into or out of the lake after dark. Without knowing someone who has property on the lake how do you get in or out if you were there before they close the gate? Will they lock the gate with anyone's truck still in there?

2nd. question:
Any help on what lures/jigs to use for Crappie?? And maybe what part of the lake to fish for Crappie? I know, I KNOW... I don't want info for YOUR exact spot just a general idea where to start.

Thanks for your help...

MT Hank

Offline MT204

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Blanchard Lake gate? (up by Whitefish)
« Reply #1 on: Jan 05, 2014, 02:07 PM »
There is no other "public" access to Blanchard (sad but true).
Will they lock your truck in?
Not sure who is the caretaker, but in the past yes they will lock it in and ticket it.
There still seems to be some debate as to whether it is legal to park up on the main road and walk down to the lake.
I have heard that the "park" for lack of better words is closed to everything as per the posted times.
There used to be a lot of parties there and all the people that live on the lake went to the FW&P and got the lake closed.
As far as jigs...good luck on that one I'm still working on my first Crappie.

Offline Papa John

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Blanchard Lake gate? (up by Whitefish)
« Reply #2 on: Jan 05, 2014, 02:29 PM »
Hey Hank: They were locking up the gate as of last year and the guys were parking above with no problem. Some unload snocats/4 wheelers and drive down. I've stayed after hours while parked on the sides of the road with no issues. Crappies like white stuff with some color like small white/ yellow tubes on pink/yellow/black heads. Regular light colored or glow perch spoons work as well. Load 'em up with maggots or waxies. Should be some right there in the pads and weeds on the access end but I've never tried it through the ice. I always have to walk all the way to the gol-dang other end just because it's there, ya know? How's your back doing?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.