The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: BRADYS LAKE  (Read 5140 times)

Offline crappiman2

• IceShanty Rookie
BRADYS LAKE
« on: Feb 01, 2011, 06:28 PM »
HAS ANYONE FISHED AND/ OR KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT BRADYS LAKE OFF OF ROUTE 940  ??? 

Offline JiggerMan

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • one of my future ice buddies
Re: BRADYS LAKE
« Reply #1 on: Feb 01, 2011, 09:59 PM »
check the reports and conditions pages for the lake.  I know its there i was just looking for it myself.  nobos has  posted about it for awhile. 

of and some guys dont like the all caps typing... the might not even reply. 

RGIII keeps a bench mighty warm

Offline crappiman2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 01, 2011, 10:46 PM »
thanks, fishing was good there years ago.  i know it was drained, i was just informed it was filled again. 

Offline draketrutta

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 02, 2011, 07:06 AM »
It is on my lakes-to-icefish list and i will hit it during Feb.

It was drained when the dam was reconstructed a couple of years ago.

I fished it in Oct via a one man pontoon boat and caught a bunch of dink sunnies andsmall pickerel.

In a few years ther fishing should be a good bass /panfish lake again.

On a positive note - the contractor graded the entrance road - you will no longer lose toothfillings driving in/out of there.

Very pretty lake ..

Offline crappiman2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Feb 02, 2011, 05:21 PM »
let me know how you do, might give a try myself.

Offline pocono

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Feb 02, 2011, 07:32 PM »
I fished it when it was the old lake and usuly did good, the upper section is shallow,  In open water you could access the upper section but I don't think you can motor up there anymore since the construction of the new lake.  The fish should be mature by now.

Offline jitterbug

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #6 on: Feb 02, 2011, 07:47 PM »
Fished it 2 weeks ago and caught a bunch of 3inch panfish.

Offline Van_Cleaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Feb 02, 2011, 09:31 PM »
The old rule of thumb used to be eight years for a lake to peak after being refilled. I suppose this has to do with establishing a forage base (which may be mostly young of the year panfish) and getting substantial weed growth etc. Of course this would also allow the stocked fish to mature.

Offline pocono

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Feb 03, 2011, 07:34 AM »
I didn't know this lake is a panfish enhancement area, this seems to be a good ideal for some lakes.  Sometimes lakes end up with a lot of stunted fish that seem to never get large, maybe its a lack of food or just genetics but I could name severel in the poconos.  It seems that lakes that have a lot of weed growth produce the largest pan fish (lot of food).  I noticed Greeley has huge pumpken seeds and it loaded with weeds.

Offline crappiman2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Feb 03, 2011, 05:05 PM »
how long as it been refilled and did they stock fish?

Offline pocono

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Feb 03, 2011, 05:34 PM »
I am not sure but it seems to be about 4 or 5 years.  Restocked fish?  That is usuly done when a lake is rebuilt but someone from the fish comission could tell you for sure.

Offline draketrutta

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Feb 03, 2011, 06:07 PM »
pocono - I know time flies by - but I think he completion date of the new dam and refill was about 2 years ago.

the project was delayed for about 2 years before that and i also recall reading about the original contractor not being able to fulfill his contractual obligations with the State - and a replacement had to be brought in - which delayed things even further.

Offline saphireblue99

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Feb 06, 2011, 11:20 PM »
I FISHED THIS LAKE ALOT THIS SUMMER, WAS PLEASANTLY SUPPRISED BY SOME 2-3 LB BASS AND 20 INCH PICKEREL WE PULLED OUT, AFTER ONLY BEING FILLED BACK UP A FEW SEASONS DIDN'T EXPECT THAT AT ALL SIZE WISE. DEEPEST WATER NEAR DAM AREA ABOUT 15+ FOOT OR SO, WHERE YOU SEE BRANCHES STICKING OUT OF THE ICE STAY AWAY, ESPECIALLY NEAR SHORELINES. LOTS OF SUBMERGED UNDERGROWTH FROM WHEN LAKE WAS DRAINED, WAS LIKE TRYING TO FISH THROUGH A CHAIN LINK FENCE, BUT LOTS OF TOPWATER ACTION IN THOSE SPOTS.  CAUGHT SOME GRASS PICKEREL THERE ALSO, DON'T GET MUCH BIGGER THAN A FOOT BUT HAVE MARKINGS LIKE A MUSKY AND PICKEREL COMBINED. ALSO HAD SOME DECENT CRAPPIE ACTION THERE ON RUBBER JIGS. IT'S 3.2 MILES FROM THE MAIN ROAD (940) TO THE LAKE SO 4 WHEEL DRIVE IS PRETTY MUCH A MUST...

Offline Imbit

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Sep 03, 2017, 07:59 AM »
sorry to bring up an old post ... but I'm looking for new water now that Minsi & Pecks are drained.     I've fished Brady' a couple times recently with some success - it's a very big lake to fish with a jon boat & trolling motor, so I'm trying to narrow it down to the areas of the lake I should target.   I fish largemouth mostly ...

- Is it worth the long battery killing ride to get all the way to the far end of the lake where I read it's alot shallower & weedier ?

- can you point me in the right direction on what types of lures you have had success with at Brady's ... much obliged.

Thanks -

John

Offline chez

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Sep 03, 2017, 08:39 AM »
I ice fished it last year once towards season END.
Put an evening in.Me and my 2 buddies.
Didn't set traps,just jigged.
Fished 11to 14'of water.
Lots and lots of marks on the vex.caught lots of calico and Perch,nothing too big.
Every hole had fish.catch 2 or 3 then the hole would go dead.move to the next hole and do the same.we were FISHING below the island a bit.no after dark bite at all.
Was a lot of action up till dark but nothing big.
I think the 3 of us managed to keep 2 perch around 12"and a half dozen Calico,maybe 10",most fish were in the 6 to7"range.
Ratfinkie glow white,Northlake forage minnow glow perch ,and white glow doodlebugs,topped with waxies and spikes was what we used.i had a dead stick set up at every spot with a fat head on it,and I did catch a few of the bigger calico on it.
Now on the other hand.i hit Brady's last Saturday with my cousin in the boat.2 yaks were conning off with stringers of nice calico,12",gills were 9 to 10"and bullheads.i was inpressed.they were drifting trout magnets topped with mealworms under a bobber in 12" of water.
We fished from 4 to 8pm.a dozen bass and 5 Pickerel we caught all on spinner baits.Biggest bass was 15".all p ickerel were hammer handles.No top water bite at all.lots of fish jumping.
I will be back on it with the boat for the fall bite.
Ice FISHING season I will be there for sure after seeing those stringers of p annies in those yaks.!!!!!!!
Before the drain we fished this lake a lot.
As far as the long bad road in...I PERSONALLY DON'T THINK IT'S ALL THAT BAD.JUST MY OPINION.
GOOD LUCK...
GIVE B RADYS A SHOT.

Offline Imbit

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Sep 03, 2017, 08:48 AM »
I ice fished it last year once towards season END.
Put an evening in.Me and my 2 buddies.
Didn't set traps,just jigged.
Fished 13 to 18'of water.
Lots and lots of marks on the vex.caught lots of calico and Perch,nothing too big.
Every hole had fish.catch 2 or 3 then the hole would go dead.move to the next hole and do the same.we were FISHING below the island a bit.no after dark bite at all.
Was a lot of action up till dark but nothing big.
I think the 3 of us managed to keep 2 perch around 12"and a half dozen Calico,maybe 10",most fish were in the 6 to7"range.
Ratfinkie glow white,Northlake forage minnow glow perch ,and white glow doodlebugs,topped with waxies and spikes was what we used.i had a dead stick set up at every spot with a fat head on it,and I did catch a few of the bigger calico on it.
Now on the other hand.i hit Brady's last Saturday with my cousin in the boat.2 yaks were conning off with stringers of nice calico,12",gills and bullheads.i was inpressed.they were drifting trout magnets topped with mealworms under a bobber in 12" of water.
We fished from 4 to 8pm.a dozen bass and 5 Pickerel we caught all on spinner baits.Biggest bass was 15".all p ickerel were hammer handles.No top water bite at all.lots of fish jumping.
I will be back on it with the boat for the fall bite.
Ice FISHING season I will be there for sure after seeing those stringers of p annies in those yaks.!!!!!!!
Before the drain we fished this lake a lot.
As far as the long bad road in...I PERSONALLY DON'T THINK IT'S ALL THAT BAD.JUST MY OPINION.
GOOD LUCK...
GIVE B RADYS A SHOT.

Thanks alot !     Appreciate the intel ... just curious - when you fished recently - did you go way up into the shallow end or fish the stick-ups in the deep end ?

Offline chez

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Sep 03, 2017, 10:56 AM »
Fished to the mouth of the narrow end.lots of stickups.left of the mouth was a lot of action.

Offline Imbit

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Sep 03, 2017, 11:47 AM »
I tired that area last time I was there - will def try it again now ... thanks   :thumbsup:

Offline chez

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Sep 03, 2017, 06:12 PM »
GOOD LUCK!!!!!!

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Sep 05, 2017, 06:13 AM »
I hit Brady's this weekend. I sat through 3 rainstorms in my kayak. The crappie were biting light but I managed a nice little stringer with them ranging between 10" and 12". Threw a bunch back that were between 6" and 9". Gills were plentiful and even got a couple bullheads. I wasn't fishing for bass but there was a couple guys in a boat reeling them in on the edges. This year I hit Brady's a lot and learned a few things about the lake. I can't wait to hit it on the ice this year.

Offline chez

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Sep 05, 2017, 06:40 AM »
Great Job Spider!!!!!

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #21 on: Sep 05, 2017, 07:04 AM »
Sounds like Spider has found a new go to lake for the ice season. 

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Sep 05, 2017, 07:47 AM »
no brother, Promised land is still my home lake, but Brady's is close enough and gives me another place to go. This lake gets better each year but I did discover a few little secrets this year that I might share with the right guys....  ;)2

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #23 on: Sep 15, 2017, 07:18 AM »
Well if we get that 8' of snow it'll this lake will be really helpful as the snow pile build up since it's closer to home.   ;)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.