Author Topic: battery post terminal broke  (Read 958 times)

Offline spoofhoundicefisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
battery post terminal broke
« on: Jan 21, 2018, 10:02 PM »
still trying to figure out how to post pics.  so putting on the positive today on the fl22 the terminal broke off almost flush with the battery.  have let a few buddies use unit over the last few days and maybe they bent it over and then back again cause just as soon as i put any pressure on it, it broke.  is there any way to fix this or am i s.o.l. so to speak.  i don't know if soldering would work or not.  any ideas.  tight lines all.

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: battery post terminal broke
« Reply #1 on: Jan 21, 2018, 10:06 PM »
Might be able to dremel a little bit of the epoxy away and try to solder some copper wire to it??

<°)))>{

Offline spoofhoundicefisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 21, 2018, 10:12 PM »
there is maybe less than a 16th of an inch sticking up on it now.  the battery is only 2 or 3 years old and has been well taken care of.  i think it is a 9ah too.

Offline RStock521

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 22, 2018, 06:30 AM »
You can get a brand new one on eBay for $20 with free shipping.  If you can't fix it, they're not too bad to replace.  I can't say that I've ever heard of that happening before though...

Offline Kobey

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 22, 2018, 06:48 AM »
I would solder an extension wire on it with a crimp terminal on the other end.  Then if you want you can put a little epoxy on it as a strain relief.  Put the wire on lengthwise so there is as much contact to solder to as possible.

Offline buuddy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 22, 2018, 07:18 AM »
Although this isn't a permanent fix but, if you get a small magnet, put it on whatever is left of the terminal and then use an alligator clip to stick the wire to the magnet. 

Offline ih772

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 22, 2018, 05:29 PM »
Just buy a new battery. After that don't let your friends borrow your gear.

Offline Nevada Ice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 22, 2018, 05:35 PM »
Kobey has it right, solder a wire on, epoxy it down, and do not lend you gear out.
I only walk on the water in the winter season!

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #8 on: Jan 22, 2018, 07:20 PM »
If you know how to solder well, solder it -it'll be fine!
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline youngblood

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 22, 2018, 07:53 PM »
I had one break off a couple of years ago.I just bought a new one.Solder it up and use it for a backup or spare.I wouldn't take a chance of it failing me while out fishing.I had no problems fishing without Vex years ago before I owned one but after the 1st day of having one I will never go without or as I call it going Amish. ;D If you don't have a charging system wired into your unit you might want to consider it.It may save you from another broken post in the future.The flx 28s are all wired in. Pull your charging connecting wire out and plug it in. No more pulling wires off your battery and screwing around.

Offline uncleshorty

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Born up the mountain, raised in a cave...
« Reply #10 on: Jan 22, 2018, 10:49 PM »
For the time, effort, frustration and cuss words you'll spend trying to fix the battery you'll be ahead buying a new one.

That said, we are kindred spirits in the desire to fix our own gear.

Here's what I'd do:

First off clean what's left of the post real good w/ 400 grit wet/dry paper, (use the paper DRY).  Take a piece of insulated copper wire about a foot long, (Don't short yourself here, you can remove excess later.)  Strip enough insulation off one end of your wire to have bare wire for the width of the post stub + 1/8 inch.  Now, apply solder to the bare end.  This is called "tinning" and facilitates transfer of heat through the solder.  Now, tin the post stub. (Easier said than done.)  Get a buddy to help in the next step.  You can't make a secure mechanical connection between the post and the wire.  So with every thing tinned, have your buddy hold the wire onto the post, you apply heat and solder to flow the solder into the joint.

Mr. Dannelli, my old instructor at WACC is rolling over in his grave.  Soldering without a mechanical connection.  The horror, the horror.  But it might hold for a while, but I wouldn't rely on it...
Ice fishin' & turtlin's all I crave...

Offline Huntindave

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Jan 23, 2018, 04:46 AM »
For the time, effort, frustration and cuss words you'll spend trying to fix the battery you'll be ahead buying a new one.

That said, we are kindred spirits in the desire to fix our own gear.

Here's what I'd do:

First off clean what's left of the post real good w/ 400 grit wet/dry paper, (use the paper DRY).  Take a piece of insulated copper wire about a foot long, (Don't short yourself here, you can remove excess later.)  Strip enough insulation off one end of your wire to have bare wire for the width of the post stub + 1/8 inch.  Now, apply solder to the bare end.  This is called "tinning" and facilitates transfer of heat through the solder.  Now, tin the post stub. (Easier said than done.)  Get a buddy to help in the next step.  You can't make a secure mechanical connection between the post and the wire.  So with every thing tinned, have your buddy hold the wire onto the post, you apply heat and solder to flow the solder into the joint.

Mr. Dannelli, my old instructor at WACC is rolling over in his grave.  Soldering without a mechanical connection.  The horror, the horror.  But it might hold for a while, but I wouldn't rely on it...
The mechanical connection is supplied by using epoxy to secure the wire in place (beyond the solder connection).  This keeps the strain on the epoxy and away from the solder connection.
take care,
Dave  :>)

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #12 on: Jan 23, 2018, 05:06 AM »
Amazon has them for $22 and up...have it in a couple days.
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #13 on: Jan 23, 2018, 08:14 AM »
Lots of anti-fix it posts.  Nobody knows how to do nothin' anymore--- ;)
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jan 23, 2018, 10:23 AM »

No doubt, ten minute fix...

Ten minutes or $20+ for a new battery?

Fix it yourself and...

Just more or less made $120/an hour (for ten minutes) either way good money earned or saved...

Work ten minutes at home or how long to get that same $20 from your job that many despise lol?

<°)))>{

Offline RyanW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Jan 23, 2018, 11:11 AM »
I don’t know, if I have to spend $20 bucks on a soldering iron I might as well just spend $20 on a new battery. Or use this as an excuse to go lithium. Way more spendy than fixing or replacing with SLA though.

I do agree though, we live in a disposable society and it does no good for anybody. I’m glad I came across this thread. I didn’t know batteries could be replaced like this AND considering I own an iron, I’m good to go if a terminal breaks.
“When the fish are biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using. When the fish aren’t biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using” - Uncle Dave

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #16 on: Jan 23, 2018, 11:34 AM »

Spliced together my transducer cable twice.
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #17 on: Jan 23, 2018, 11:39 AM »

Not totally true ;)
 Soldering it might work....or not. Nothing to lose by trying if you ask me.
Rg
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline mdrobny

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • common sense is no longer common
« Reply #18 on: Jan 23, 2018, 12:02 PM »
order a battery.
wrap some wire around a small self tapper screw, run it in next to the terminal and use it till your battery gets here.
not right but will get you through

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.