New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: fishing on canadarago lake  (Read 82782 times)

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: fishing on canadarago lake
« Reply #600 on: Jan 04, 2013, 06:47 PM »
Isn't Brads open?   
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline TheSystem

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish Fear Me
« Reply #601 on: Jan 04, 2013, 06:49 PM »
Was out on the East side tonight, on the new ice.  I STRONGLY advise caution - it was less than 2", spud went thru with one chuck, like posted above.  This was only in 4' of water.  The middle, creeks, island, all very dark ice, and many visible water rivers running thru it.  I really really advise caution this weekend, the lake temp is 36* - combine that with a little sun or above freezing temps, and that thin ice will be melting.  Our FD does not have an ice boat!  IF you're going, bring a friend, use a rope, and stay away from the deep water and watch for the springs, spud every step.  In a side note, 4seasons bait, on the hill above the boat launch, has a full line of live bait and tackle, shiners, fatheads, spikes.

Offline huntnfishz

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #602 on: Jan 04, 2013, 09:35 PM »
went out state launch 1230-7. 3.5 to 5" ice out to the new ice. u can get out to 31 fow. i would nt get within 10 ft of the new ice. spudded my way out and wore my life vest for the first hour. u cant go south much and only 120 yds out, so it could get crowded. would nt bunch up either. 99% dinks. 9.5 fow worked for me. 30+ for my friend. sm perch and some rockbass at dusk. nice to get out there, nice day.

Offline lil_coondog

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #603 on: Jan 04, 2013, 09:40 PM »
Hit the ice on Darago this morning for a few hours. We brought the safety gear (PFD's, creepers, rope, hand-held spikes).Only ventured out about 50 yards or so. Any farther out is still unsafe. The white ice was about 3 inches where I was, the newest black ice is less then 1 inch. One hit with the spud went through the new ice. Noticed some wet spots popping up today on the ice, so use CAUTION if going out this weekend. Fished in 11 fow. Caught 12 YP all this size. C&R all.

"Wildlife and its habitat cannot speak, so we must and we will."
-Theodore Roosevelt

Offline TheSystem

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish Fear Me
« Reply #604 on: Jan 04, 2013, 09:56 PM »
Glad you guys were safe today.  And I appreciate you warning the guys who want to run out there saturday - that new ice ain't enough is it?  And we gotta watch that white ice, a little sun and that starts to get soft fast.  Must have been a real nice day for you lil and coontz, jealous!  i went out for the sunset shift on the east side, same conditions as you reported. 

Offline FellThru82

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #605 on: Jan 05, 2013, 05:25 PM »
always be safe out there guys!!  I cant believe how bad of a start this season got off to!!
TEAMHACKSHACK

Offline Kov619

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #606 on: Jan 05, 2013, 08:49 PM »
How  has the fishing been any jacks?  How is the ice ...thinking. Of making a trip to see some friends and do a little fishin.
Bad ice is bad for your health....walk with care....

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #607 on: Jan 05, 2013, 08:57 PM »
I went by the lake around 2pm...   I cant believe I saw guys fishing where they were....   And the guy with two kids?............... :o :o

Offline TheSystem

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish Fear Me
« Reply #608 on: Jan 05, 2013, 09:08 PM »
Last night I saw some dude down on the south end way out in the middle of the lake all alone in a one man pullover!  I couldn't believe it.  There's bravery then there's........

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #609 on: Jan 05, 2013, 09:11 PM »
He was there today.... :o

Offline the piker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #610 on: Jan 05, 2013, 09:14 PM »
How  has the fishing been any jacks?  How is the ice ...thinking. Of making a trip to see some friends and do a little fishin.
WAIT A WILE, WARM SPELL MIDDLE OF WEEK.

Offline lil_coondog

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #611 on: Jan 05, 2013, 10:01 PM »
Hit the ice today. Not much action. Ice conditions seem to be getting more sketchy where I was on west side. Use caution if you go out Sunday, fish with a buddy. Stay safe and good luck.

-Theodore Roosevelt

Offline huntnfishz

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #612 on: Jan 06, 2013, 08:09 PM »
went out bakers beach for the afternoon. caught dinks from 7-25 fow. c&r for me. my friend kept 2. spudded my way out w pfd. so after i drilled 10 holes, 3-5" popped a hole w 1.5" of mostly black ice in 8 fow. so keep the spud handy and know that these spots will go first if there s a melt. nice afternoon, cooperative small fish. still staying off the new ice.

Offline lil_coondog

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #613 on: Jan 06, 2013, 09:07 PM »
Fished the west side today for a few hours. Not a ton of action. Caught a bunch of dinks in 6-15 fow. Ice conditions are still the same. Wore my PFD and had my spud with me every where I went. Still use caution when exploring. Did get one some what respectable YP about 9.5 inches long, caught on tip -up in 18 fow on big shiner. I also caught my first Fallfish. Pulled him up jigging with a chubby darter in 15 fow. C&R all.

-Theodore Roosevelt

Offline TheSystem

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish Fear Me
« Reply #614 on: Jan 07, 2013, 02:48 PM »
Dude, that's a real nice fall fish.  Those make REAL nice musky bait.....

Offline bigZin315

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #615 on: Jan 07, 2013, 05:02 PM »
Fished the west side today for a few hours. Not a ton of action. Caught a bunch of dinks in 6-15 fow. Ice conditions are still the same. Wore my PFD and had my spud with me every where I went. Still use caution when exploring. Did get one some what respectable YP about 9.5 inches long, caught on tip -up in 18 fow on big shiner. I also caught my first Fallfish. Pulled him up jigging with a chubby darter in 15 fow. C&R all.

(Image removed from quote.)
i hate those fall fish we catch them all summer 20 inchers they are like suckers
It's not that fishing is so important, it's just that so many things in life are so much less important

Offline FellThru82

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #616 on: Jan 07, 2013, 05:39 PM »
you said it best!!
TEAMHACKSHACK

Offline lil_coondog

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #617 on: Jan 08, 2013, 04:30 PM »
Hit the south end this morning for a few hours. Kinda slow, only a few flags. Jigged up 15 YP around 7-8 inch mark in 10-20 fow. C&R all. Ice still a little touchy, but fishable if you play it smart and spud your way around.

-Theodore Roosevelt

Offline papacoondog

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • love the lakers
« Reply #618 on: Jan 08, 2013, 06:27 PM »
hit the ice on south end off bibik road today, with lil_coondog like in his post slow, but im writing this to say we were both upset with trash and cig butts left by so fisherman who thought the lake was a large dumping hole, before leaving we spent 10 min picking up trash. all we say is respect the lake and others who use it. >:(

Offline TheSystem

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish Fear Me
« Reply #619 on: Jan 08, 2013, 07:46 PM »
Guys, thank you very much for showing that respect for the lake, it means a lot to me!

Offline Floatman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #620 on: Jan 08, 2013, 07:52 PM »
Papa.......Thanks for the good deed!!! 
 :clap: :clap: :clap:

Offline huntnfishz

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #621 on: Jan 08, 2013, 10:07 PM »
hit state launch 12-6. was slow. kept 2. nothin w tip ups. 10 fow. my friend ventured out to the new ice and did a lil better. he wore a rope most of the day. i ve walked and fished on thinner ice, but still dont have confidence on the 3.5 of black ice that i measured. the holes were icing over all day, and after 3 the lake was singin pretty good.glad to be fishin on such a  beautiful day.

onice2013

« Reply #622 on: Jan 08, 2013, 10:17 PM »
good report, I too would not risk 3.5 even 4 inches feels risky to me. I beenice fishing for over thirty years and remember how I risked it on 2 inches of black ice over deep lakes in the adk state park lakes.. I  was so lucky when I think about the few times I did that way back in the days. Even with all the safety gear I wear , the floatation suite,grip safety hand spikes, rope.. I am not risking under 4 inches of black ice.

Offline lil_coondog

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #623 on: Jan 11, 2013, 04:44 PM »
Out on Cando for a few hours today with Papa Coondog. Called it quits when the rain started to pick up. Fished north of the Hyder on the west side in 5-15 fow, caught 8 YP in the 8-9 inch range. Saw some nice jacks in the shallower water, couldn't get any of them to bite. C&R all. Don't think the black ice will survive the warm weather this weekend. Hope I'm wrong.

-Theodore Roosevelt

onice2013

« Reply #624 on: Jan 12, 2013, 07:54 AM »
agree, too much warm already and the rain is the bigger problem for the next week. This could be it for January maybe 2013 on ice ???

Offline crazyhockeydad

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #625 on: Jan 13, 2013, 11:10 AM »
Please don't say that! I didn't get out at all last year. i am really getting the itch. Been a lurker for about a year. Thought I would finally start posting.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #626 on: Jan 13, 2013, 11:29 AM »
Please don't say that! I didn't get out at all last year. i am really getting the itch. Been a lurker for about a year. Thought I would finally start posting.

you can still post  ;D

Offline the piker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #627 on: Jan 18, 2013, 02:58 PM »
checked out cando 2 day, 1 guy out a hundred feet from boat launch, said 4 inches of ice, catching a lot of dinks...

Offline mrgame

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #628 on: Jan 20, 2013, 09:36 PM »
Two inches out there today. To thin for me... a couple others fished it

Offline kc_

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • formerly known as ljc2tall, aka kc on mff
« Reply #629 on: Jan 22, 2013, 01:04 PM »
any reports on Cando? Waiting to get over there.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.