Author Topic: Good lodge to ice fish walleyes, maybe trout -- advice needed  (Read 424 times)

Offline pos1

• IceShanty Rookie
Looking for advice on a lodge to ice fish in Ontario.  I live in Minnesota, so going through Thunder Bay, International Falls or Baudette doesn't matter.  I'll state my absolute wish list, knowing it all can't be met.  It would be best if you had actual experience at the lodge, not just word of mouth.  Too many times these places just don't live up to what you've heard (in my experience).

- Fished LOW last year out of Morson.  Loved the fact that we fished for 4 days and never saw another person.  Not looking to fish in a shanty town.  Part of the experience is the seclusion.
- We all have snowmobiles and portables, which is also part of the experience.  Loved that we could snowmobile right from the cabin, were portable, fished different areas for 4 days for walleye, crappie and trout.  No need to rent permanents.
- Didn't like that we had to go 25 miles for trout.  The trip was a blast, but even with a GPS I dont' have confidence we could ever get back to those spots safely.
- Would like this trip to become an annual event, so the fishing has to be good.
- We didn't catch a lot of walleyes.  We caught 3 nice lake trout the day we got a guide.  A blast, but not sure I want to devote an entire day for only 3 trout.
- Walleyes are the main catch.  Trout would be good.  Nice-sized crappies would be a bonus.  Would like numbers of walleyes just for catch-n-release...and dinner.
- Cabin or lodge doesn't matter I guess.  Cabin would be better.  Ideally ones that have propane/electric heat.  Not really looking forward to coming back to a cold cabin after an entire day of fishing because of a wood burning stove.  But, I'd sacrifice this for good fishing.
- Ideally (very ideally) it would be a place that also offers good summer walleye fishing.  I'd like to go back every year in the summer with my family.  So, a resort that would be good for a family with pre-teen kids (girls) would be awesome.  There could be days where a kid or my wife isn't interested in fishing, so an atmosphere where they could put up a chair and read a good book would be nice.  I'm contrasting that to some places that are much more rugged and strictly geared to fishing.
- Morson was a nice area because it's not too far across the border.  Would consider going as far north as Sioux Narrows area, but that's pushing it at about 8 hours from home.
- The same goes for going through Thunder Bay.  I have considered (and summer fished) the Armstrong area around Nipigon.  That's 12 hours from home, although my parents live in Duluth, MN so I could always stay overnight there, then take the 9 hour drive the next day.  But that still makes a 12 hour drive on the way home.

I think that's about it.  I know...it's alot to ask.  But, I figured this forum would be able to provide much better info than just searching the web for days on end.

thanks in advance.

Offline Merv

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • here....fishy.....fishy
Re: Good lodge to ice fish walleyes, maybe trout -- advice needed
« Reply #1 on: Oct 31, 2013, 09:55 AM »
Try hitting up Viciouscircle he is from that neck of the woods and maybe able to help yah out. you might half to post a couple more times so you can unlock the message option though.

Merv

Offline Hard_H2O

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Good lodge to ice fish walleyes, maybe trout -- advice needed
« Reply #2 on: Oct 31, 2013, 12:20 PM »
We stay at Crystal Harbour Resort in Sioux Narrows every year. Trout and walleye are our main pursuits. Sometimes crappie.

We drive up from the Twin Cities through International Falls/Fort Frances.

You do not see too many other anglers up there.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.