Author Topic: Clam Base Camp vs Eskimo Quick Fish III  (Read 12220 times)

Offline Rich

• IceShanty Rookie
Clam Base Camp vs Eskimo Quick Fish III
« on: Nov 08, 2009, 06:09 PM »
I am looking to get either the Clam Base Camp or the Eskimo Quick Fish III. I am interested to hear from people who own one of these and get thier opinions on which is better?
I love my Clam, Vex, Mr. Buddy...

Offline bucketmouth

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Have an ice day!
Re: Clam Base Camp vs Eskimo Quick Fish III
« Reply #1 on: Nov 08, 2009, 08:50 PM »
He's alive!  Ya fix yer Evinrude yet?

Offline holehopper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Me and Dave Genz
« Reply #2 on: Nov 08, 2009, 08:59 PM »
I am looking to get either the Clam Base Camp or the Eskimo Quick Fish III. I am interested to hear from people who own one of these and get thier opinions on which is better?

I own a quickfish III and have spent a lot of time looking at the base camp units.  I like the fabric of the clam units better.  Most of these pop ups are 300 denier nylon.  Clam uses a 600 denier.  I also like the carry bag better.  Eskimo uses a "sleeve" type bag that you have to slide the collapsed unit into.  Clam uses a zipper bag that opens wide and makes it a lot easier to pack up.  I plan to give the base camp thermal a shot this year.  Kinda spendy, but the insulation could be really nice on a cold day.  These units have a lot of surface area and can be hard to heat when it gets really cold.  You also get some condensation which the insulation should help. 
Never Stop Never Stopping

Offline Rich

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Nov 09, 2009, 02:27 PM »
He's alive!  Ya fix yer Evinrude yet?

If the Rude was fixed I wouldn't be thinking of Ice fishing yet  :(

Offline Rich

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Nov 09, 2009, 02:31 PM »
Thanks for the feedback. I have always owned Clam products and still have a Clam 2000 and a Pro. I have heard good things about the Eskimo Quick fish so I thought I would put the question out there to get some first hand opinions. I have to say I looked at the video of the Base Camp being set up and I was impressed.

Offline holehopper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Me and Dave Genz
« Reply #5 on: Nov 09, 2009, 04:56 PM »
I have no complaints with my quickfish.  Held up well all winter.  I've read that some guys really struggle to set them up and take them down.  I've had no trouble with that at all.  Just pull slow and even and they'll pop right up.  I've also read that guys really struggle with them in the wind.  Again, I was surprised how well they hold up in the wind.  Just put an anchor in before you set it up and then an anchor on the side that is taking the wind and you are good to go.  A little snow on the skirt all the way around makes it even better.  Great to fish 2 guys out of. 

Offline tip-uptwo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Nov 09, 2009, 09:26 PM »
Wasn't really sure how the setup and takedown was until seeing the video Rich(Clam base camp). My first thought was that they are sweet and look like are built well. No reviews as it's so new 'yet' but I think you should stick with the blue  :) Really considering picking up one of the pop up models soon or something  ::) They have a thermal model as well which is awesome! The Clam2000 is hard to beat but can be a real PITA to slug around with a full load. Costco had the QuickFish on at a real steal a little while ago. Good luck on your purchase and will see ya soon  ;D :tipup:
Andrew

Offline johnnyb

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • fish on fish on fish on!
« Reply #7 on: Nov 10, 2009, 12:12 PM »
Can't comment on either one vs. the other, but a friend of mine HAD an Eskimo which he got a lot of good use out of...just switched to the Base Camp...felt that his Eskimo was inferior material...he especially didn't like the windows and their short lifespan.  Easy to fix that though, if they ever go.  Pretty sure the Eskimo is on for $179 at Costco right now
The harder the better!

Offline MaineFishah

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Nov 10, 2009, 12:19 PM »
I was wondering the same thing about these units, but am also looking at the Cabelas unit that Clam makes for them. I also looked at the Frabil and Shappell units but still haven't been able to see any of these shacks in person. My main concern was the fabric and I too have heard that the Clam fabric is more durable. I'm hoping to get some first hand feedback from this post as well.

Offline tip-uptwo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Nov 13, 2009, 05:36 PM »
Has anyone seen this style of shack made by Clam in the Ottawa area?? I would like to take a peak at it  ;D
Andrew

Offline GBW

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Nov 19, 2009, 08:24 AM »
Please keep this thread going as I'm interested in getting a second hut to keep at the cottage.  Right now I too have a clam 2000 but I would like to keep something as a backup so I dont have to lug the clam back and forth with the wife, kids and dog and everything else that packed for a weekend...  Thanks.
Geoff
Wishin' I was fishin'

Offline BenBeattie

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Nov 19, 2009, 04:05 PM »
I got a Fish Trap Guide last year and put in about 70 days on the ice.  I towed that thing everywhere behind my sled and worked it hard.  I went completely through a set of runners and even cracked the base.  The cover was destroyed and needs to be replaced.  Other then that the frame and fabric held out well.  IF I was to do it again, no question I'd get an Otter. 

Offline holehopper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Me and Dave Genz
« Reply #12 on: Nov 19, 2009, 06:55 PM »
Looks like Cabelas is having a nice sale on their hub units right now.  $30-50 off from what I can tell.  They are made by Clam.  Just black vs. blue. 

Offline solar

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Nov 23, 2009, 05:57 AM »
I ordered the Clam Base Camp Thermal from Cabela's and am awaiting delivery. I did a lot of research and checked out some floor models at Lebaron's. I was interested in the Eskimos, then read a lot of good about the Shappell model DX4000 that has a base attached, which I liked since I wanted a floor. In the end, I figured I would stick with something light enough to pull in a sled with my kit for a bit of distance, and the Shappell was too big for my drag sled. I'd be willing to pull the extra weight to have a built in floor and seat set-up, but all the models I saw with seats or benches had really low center heights, and I'm a tall guy and I didn't want to be stooping everytime I got up. I liked the idea of the Clam thermal material, since it will reportedly solve the problem of condensation inside the tent. I can use some heavy rubber bedliner mats for a floor and still have open space for two holes. Once I get the Clam BCT I'll post some pix and later I'll post how it performs on the ice.

Best,

Chris

Offline holehopper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Me and Dave Genz
« Reply #14 on: Nov 24, 2009, 12:27 PM »
I picked one of those up too (base camp thermal) this year.  It is sitting in the bag in my garage.  I set it up once.  Looks to be very nice.  Only complaint I've heard on the clam units is that the windows aren't removable (in case they crack and you need a new one).  Overall seems good.  Not too heavy, 2 doors.  Looking forward to using it! 

Offline solar

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Nov 24, 2009, 04:24 PM »
I wonder how the condensation will be in the thermal. Others have posted that they have used similar thermal type material shelters and found that there was very little if any drip inside the tent.

Offline holehopper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Me and Dave Genz
« Reply #16 on: Nov 24, 2009, 07:54 PM »
I'll keep you posted.  I've been using pop up shelters for about the last 3 seasons.  I never really had too much drip with my non insulated shelters.  I always put a small fan up in the top and that helps a lot plus keeps you a lot warmer.  Circulates the warm air down where you are vs. up on top. 

Offline solar

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Dec 03, 2009, 07:26 PM »
Just got my Clam thermal Basecamp today, set it up; its a biggun! Lots of headroom and no need to stoop going in/out. Lots of room inside, 6'x6', I was suprised how much space there is inside. I had tried the Eskimo 2 man popup, but found it a bit too low inside. This Basecamp is a really good size. Now I just have to cut up a heavy barnmat into two strips to make my floor, and I'm all set. Except there's no ice right now..............

Offline holehopper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Me and Dave Genz
« Reply #18 on: Dec 04, 2009, 12:13 PM »
I've narrowed my pop up assortment to 2.  I have the basecamp thermal and have the clam hub (the 2 man version).  I like both for different reasons.  The Hub weighs in at 18 lbs and is very, very easy when it is just me.  Some look at the low ceiling as a drawback.  I actually like it as it is better in the wind (lower profile) and is easier to heat.  The higher the ceiling, the higher the heat.  When you spend 80% of your time sitting in the shelter, the heat is up high.  A good fan is a must.  The thermal will be great when I take a buddy or the kids.  Should be easier to heat with the insulation. 

Offline solar

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Dec 05, 2009, 11:39 AM »
I hear you on the heat-rises thing. It will be harder to heat the larger pop up (Clam Thermal Basecamp) but I figured I would rather have the space vs the smaller-unit-is-easier-to-heat aspect. Its really a matter of personal preference.

Anyways, its a really large pop up for the price and weight. The material is quite thick, and is quilted, with a silver thermal roof. I will look into getting the little fan/light combo Clam sells to hook onto the ceiling, snice the circulation will make a big difference. I agree that on the cold and windy days, the taller design may take a beating from the winds, but after showroom shopping a few shorter models, I liked the idea of the larger unit.

In any event, I can't see how you'd go wrong with the majority of the designs out there; Clam, Eskimo, Frabill, etc etc. I looked at them all, and there are advantages and disadvantages to all from my perspective, but that's just my personal opinion based on my needs and intended use. Anyways, the Clam thermal BaseCamp looks like a solid piece of kit, I'll let you know how I feel at the end of the season.

Until then, its Fitzroy Harbour for muskie for me today.

Best,

Chris

Offline Rich

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Dec 06, 2009, 11:19 AM »
My wife was in the States shopping last weekend and picked up the Clam Base Camp for me. I set it up to check it out and I am really impressed. It set up and down very easy, folded nicely into a zip up bag that you can carry like a back pack, the material seems durable, and it is surprisingly big. Now for some ice to test it out!  :)

Offline solar

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Dec 07, 2009, 10:39 PM »
I was setting my Base Camp up in the back yard recently to fit a rubber mat floor inside before the bad weather hits. As I was making my arrangements, the dogs came running outside and my older guy promptly lifted his leg on the southwest corner and voided the warranty on my nice new Clam Thermal Base Camp......as I was yelling at him, he ran around to the other corner and finished his work. I'd get angry, but what's the point........here's the big smile he gave me after the fact......

And I can report that liquid just beads right off this material, so there's the silver lining. And yes I cleaned it off, so if we ever meet up on the ice, you can fish inside with confidence. ;)

All that aside, it is a roomy and nicely made pop-up. Good vent placement, a licence holder to house my new Ice Shanty Team Ontario patch, windows at a good height. It was quite windy when I had it up, and inside the shelter was great. I'm very anxious for the ice.

Best,

Chris

Offline holehopper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Me and Dave Genz
« Reply #22 on: Dec 08, 2009, 07:37 PM »
Solar:  One other idea that has worked really well for me.....I went to Northern Tool and picked up a 12 v fan.  It looks like something that came out of a piece of electronics.  The fan is about 3 inches square.  I hang that up in the ceiling of my hub and run wires down the side to my vex battery.  It will run a long, time off a vex battery.  Does a great job moving air from the ceiling and circulating it down.  One thing I did notice is that it will cause your Buddy heater to shut off as I assume it is circulating carbon monoxide with the heat.  The ticket is to crack one of your vents and run the fan.  That will circulate in some fresh air and push heat and fresh air down to you.  Really works well.  I think I paid $4.00 for the fan.  You might even be able to order those fans online. 

Offline solar

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Dec 09, 2009, 04:46 AM »
Roger that. I ordered one of the fan/light combos from Clam that hangs from the ceiling since I figured as in any structure, you need air circulation. I noticed on this pop up, there are two circulation vent flaps on opposite sides of the structure to encourage a straight line of air flow.

Right now, my final touches before the ice is to work out a floor that is both effective at preventing slipping, keep the feet a bit warm and is transportable. The rubber barn mat I arranged is solid and slip resistant, but the weight of it is about 70lbs......I may try finding something similar but thinner and lighter.

Bring the ice!

Chris

Offline holehopper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Me and Dave Genz
« Reply #24 on: Dec 09, 2009, 11:49 AM »
I use 2 closed cell foam sleeping pads for my floor.  No weight at all and I think I paid $6 each at Walmart for them.  They won't absorb water and hold heat really well.  They are long enough that they reach from side to side of the shelter so that the shelter holds them flat.  I put them in a cross pattern which leaves each of the 4 corners of the floor open.  For transport, I bring along a bungee cord.  Just roll them up and throw the bungee around them and you are ready to go. 

Offline solar

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Dec 09, 2009, 03:23 PM »
Do those types of mats slip around on the ice though?

Offline holehopper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Me and Dave Genz
« Reply #26 on: Dec 10, 2009, 11:56 AM »
I haven't had trouble with them slipping.  Most of the time, I have a heater set up on one end of one of them, gear piled on the other end and feet or a chair on the other one.  If I did have any slippage, I guess I would be tempted to bring along a little cat litter or sand and throw that down first, but have never had the trouble, so I haven't tried that. 

Offline solar

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Dec 11, 2009, 06:19 AM »
I'll likely take up your advice, since my barn mats are so freaking heavy. Even cut into two strips of 2' by 6', they take up a great deal of space on either end of my sled, they're hard to wrestle into the sled and they add a huge amount of weight into the sled for the pull. That said, they'll make an outstanding portable floor; thick, sturdy, slip proof, excellent insulation fro mthe ice, etc.  it just means sacrificing a lot of sled space and adding a huge amount of weight to the pull, not to mention wrestling the mats into the back of the truck. I think I'll try the mats as you suggest, esp. since they're light and more portable once rolled up and tied off.

I'll look around and see what I can find, starting with your advice of mats at Walmart.

C

Offline holehopper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Me and Dave Genz
« Reply #28 on: Dec 11, 2009, 11:51 AM »
I think I paid $6 each for those.  They are about 30 inches wide and about 80 inches long; about 1/2 inch thick.  They've been pretty indestructible for me.  Worth the $12 to give them a try. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.