Author Topic: Cascade trout question  (Read 1083 times)

Offline Bigfish33

• IceShanty Rookie
Cascade trout question
« on: Jan 03, 2014, 09:51 PM »
Hi everyone, I've followed this forum since last year and decided to get a profile this past week. Decided I would start off with a report of cascade from today. I fished the dam from about 10-1:00, then moved to blue heron later on. Ended up catching some nice trout, all between 16-20 inches. About 7 total landed, lost a few too.  I have a question for anyone who could answer. When I was cleaning my two largest fish, they were both loaded with large eggs and seemed as if they were ready to spawn now ...  I had no idea they were full of eggs when I caught them, they just seemed like healthy, fat fish.  That being said, is it  possible that these fish  could be spawning in January? Just seemed strange to me, so I'm interested to see if someone has more knowledge on these trout than I do.
Thanks for any input... I look forward to getting to know the people on this forum and contributing what knowledge I have.  Best of luck on the ice this weekend!

Offline Hamstn

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Cascade trout question
« Reply #1 on: Jan 04, 2014, 04:42 AM »
Welcome to the shanty. They will not spawn til this spring, you will also find that the perch are full of eggs. Were you guys the ones on two ATV's? If so we were the ones that left as you were packing up.

Offline Bigfish33

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 04, 2014, 11:24 AM »
I did know that about the perch, just was surprised to see in one of the trout how loose her eggs were.  I've  only caught trout in spring summer  during the spawn  with loose eggs like that.  Thanks for the info!  Yes that was us.  Were you by the dam or blue heron?

Offline Hamstn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 04, 2014, 05:50 PM »
blue heron

Offline Bigfish33

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 04, 2014, 08:25 PM »
How did you guys do? We ended up catching three as we were trying to pick up our shelter, but that was it besides some small perch.

Offline gillis37

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 04, 2014, 11:38 PM »
Me and the family were also out at blue heron today. We where the ones with the crazy kids going down the boat ramp on the sleds. Got there late and were only able to get a couple bites. Fished right on  the bottom.

Offline Hamstn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 05, 2014, 01:14 PM »
Caught 6 trout and 7 or 8 small perch. Lost a couple trout trying to get them to hole. Marked perch all day but could not get them to bite but I am sure they were very small ones.

Was windy enough one kid stood in a sled and used his body as a sail to glide across the ice.. Another party had a young girl with them. Boy she never stopped all day. We were discussing "oh how it would be nice to be young again with all that energy".

Offline Perch Freak

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 05, 2014, 01:41 PM »

Was windy enough one kid stood in a sled and used his body as a sail to glide across the ice.

That was my group. The wind was pretty nasty until the sun finally came out.
We marked perch all day too. Caught a few medium sized ones. No trout until we moved everything up to 13fow. Then we saw some action. Had a large trout hammer the chubby darter which was fun, saw it all on the Marcum.
Caught most of ours on a pink jig tipped with shrimp.

Offline Bigfish33

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 05, 2014, 07:22 PM »
The wind was definitely  pretty harsh,  without the  occasional  bite I don't think I could have convinced my girlfriend to stay as long she did... She's definitely more into catching on the cold windy days..

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.