Author Topic: Going to Waubay this comming weekend.  (Read 4411 times)

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
Going to Waubay this comming weekend.
« on: Feb 23, 2009, 01:16 PM »
Going to make my first trip to Waubay this Weekend, any pointers would be helpful.

Lookin for a good place to stay, and any other helpful info.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
Re: Going to Waubay this comming weekend.
« Reply #1 on: Feb 24, 2009, 12:07 PM »
Go to the home page for Webster, SD and the motels, baitshops and other businesses will be listed  along with phone numbers. There are several motels in Webster and a couple of baitshops.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline Chubby Darter1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 25, 2009, 08:02 PM »
Me and some buddies are comin up this weekend too. Talked to a friend up at Webster and they been getting lot of fish this week. Hope this front doesn't screw it up too bad.  We been fishin up there (in the winter mainly) for many years and we always stay at Pickerel Lake Lodge.  Great place and good people to give business to. There's lot's of other good joints too. Go to  www.proudanglers.com for more info that might help. Good luck this weekend.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #3 on: Feb 25, 2009, 08:32 PM »
Between tomorrow and Friday, we are expecting 12 to 14 inches of snow in that area. Good luck during your trip.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #4 on: Feb 26, 2009, 09:45 AM »
Between tomorrow and Friday, we are expecting 12 to 14 inches of snow in that area. Good luck during your trip.

Yea, I live in NW Iowa and the weather is crappy here, sucks was looking forward to fishing a different lake. Over At the Iowa Great Lakes Spirit Lake as been producing a good consistant perch bite for about the last two months, and I've fished it quite a few times with excellent luck. Depending on the weather, it sounds like I might have to go over there again if I want to ice fish.

Offline bigern

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Feb 26, 2009, 01:33 PM »
How big are those perch at the Lakes by Spirit Lake?  Do you ever catch anything else in the winter there? Never been there might move to the area wondering if its good?  Thanks

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #6 on: Feb 26, 2009, 07:59 PM »
Yea, I live in NW Iowa and the weather is crappy here, sucks was looking forward to fishing a different lake. Over At the Iowa Great Lakes Spirit Lake as been producing a good consistant perch bite for about the last two months, and I've fished it quite a few times with excellent luck. Depending on the weather, it sounds like I might have to go over there again if I want to ice fish.
I don't know how much snow we got here today, but it was about 12 inches in my driveway. I got it all blown out and is is snowing and blowing here at this time. Normally they get it worse in the Webster area than we do here. Hopefully it blew hard enough to keep the lakes fairly clear of snow. You are probably doing better on Spirit than we are around here.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #7 on: Mar 02, 2009, 08:58 AM »
How big are those perch at the Lakes by Spirit Lake?  Do you ever catch anything else in the winter there? Never been there might move to the area wondering if its good?  Thanks

Anywhere from small perch up to 12inch perch, lots of sorting. Fairly good fishing though. The lakes do get a lot of Pressure, but the DNR stock a lot of fish also.

All I do is Ice fish on the IGL, durring the summer when it warms up there seems to be to many boats on the water except for Spirit lake. Overall, there are many different types of fish to go after, and populations seem to be fairly good.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #8 on: Mar 02, 2009, 09:01 AM »
Was up in the area Thurs. night to Sunday moring and did very  very  very well. One of the few times I've gone on an ice fishing trip and had such good luck. I will plan a yearly trip to the Waubay area after having an experiance like that.

Offline gunnerdog

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Mar 02, 2009, 11:53 AM »
DO you mind if I ask what part of Waubay you fished and what you caught?  I have a panfish tournament there this weekend in Breske's Bay
Gunnerdog

Offline Hawk 27

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Mar 02, 2009, 01:57 PM »
Agronomist, how was it to get around on the ice, and how thick is the ice? Heading up there also this weekend to follow gunnerdog around ;).
Wherever you go.......there you are.

Offline bigern

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Mar 02, 2009, 07:13 PM »
Good to hear there is some fish around there...I figured there was alot of pressure in that area.  What did you catch on Waubay this weekend?  I have a 8 days of ice fishing starting this weekend!  Kind of pumped hope to get on some fish.  How was the snow on the lake i know we got alot east of there hope it was easy to get around!

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #12 on: Mar 02, 2009, 09:51 PM »
Agronomist, how was it to get around on the ice, and how thick is the ice? Heading up there also this weekend to follow gunnerdog around ;).

Drilled a hole and it took all of my jiffy auger to just poke threw the ice. Was about 8inch of powder snow, once you were on the lake with a 4x4 truck you could get anywhere. However, you need  to find an access you can get on at without getting stuck.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #13 on: Mar 02, 2009, 09:55 PM »
Good to hear there is some fish around there...I figured the was alot of pressure in that area.  What did you catch on Waubay this weekend?  I have a 8 days of ice fishing starting this weekend!  Kind of pumped hope to get on some fish.  How was the snow on the lake i know we got alot east of there hope it was easy to get around!

Mostly all walleyes, and a few northern not many perch. When it was prime time I had really really good luck with a blue glow chubby darter tipped with a minnow head.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #14 on: Mar 02, 2009, 09:58 PM »
DO you mind if I ask what part of Waubay you fished and what you caught?  I have a panfish tournament there this weekend in Breske's Bay

P.M. me and I'll let you know.

Offline Hawk 27

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Mar 03, 2009, 08:38 AM »
Thanks for the info Agronomist. We have a tourny up there this weekend and they are supposed to have the access plowed out for us. We can't not use trucks but can use atv's or sleds.
Wherever you go.......there you are.

Offline bigern

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Mar 03, 2009, 09:47 AM »
Thanks for the info Agronomist might have to get out there and try to look for some perch this weekend, hasnt been a good bite at all this year.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.