Author Topic: Ness Lake Kokanee  (Read 6195 times)

Offline kodiak80

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Ness Lake Kokanee
« Reply #30 on: Jan 10, 2013, 07:48 PM »
Lots of great tips here.

Here is my tip.  Less is more.

Don't put too much bait on he hook.  1 kernel, 1 or 2 maggots, 1 egg, etc.

Offline Oldfish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #31 on: Jan 10, 2013, 08:08 PM »
Kodiak nailed it on the head with bait- I use half of a gulp maggot or one kernal- no more. Re: locations find the bathy map and fish around 40 or so feet total depth, but 6-20 feet down. 15 feet down seems to be working best for me. Don't be shy about fishing with friends- the flashers bring the schools in, and when the bite is on you will know it. Kokanee will roam the whole lake so don't worry too much about location- open water is where their food is. The opposite is true with trout which are tied to structure.

Offline the force

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #32 on: Jan 10, 2013, 09:39 PM »
This is probably a better thread for this question.

Any tips for keeping your dropper from tangling with spoon/flasher? I started out with a foot of 5lb tippet but it tangled way too much. Ended up with 7" of 8lb flouro which was better. Fishing below a 6" williams whitefish...worked fairly well last weekend but think a longer trailer would be better.

Has anyone had luck with the smallest size swedish pimple and a hali/trailer? I'm going to give it a go next time I'm out.

thanks.

Offline Kozfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Just a second...I'll get the Calmer Downer
« Reply #33 on: Jan 10, 2013, 11:16 PM »
Makes all the difference to have a swivel on both ends of the flasher; lots of people just use the ring on one end and thats the problem

Offline ianwuzhere

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • GOT ICE??
« Reply #34 on: Jan 14, 2013, 01:15 PM »
I suspect more people have been kokanee fishing as of late because when i went to buy some live maggots today, they were all sold out.
Anyone know where they sell maggots in Prince George? I have checked like 3 or 4 stores and couldn't find any.

this guy on kijjii prince george is selling 500 meal worms for $10- have no idea how many hes got but sounds like a lot, could cut one in half and be like size of maggot  ;) ;)  ;D
http://princegeorge.kijiji.ca/c-pets-other-pets-for-sale-Mealworms-for-your-pets-W0QQAdIdZ352149727
~its not over till its soft, --- "tfg".

Offline IceDrisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #35 on: Jan 14, 2013, 07:06 PM »
I heard from a colleague who has a cabin on Ness that there were huts all over the lake yesterday. He said that in his 10 years of living out there he has never seen so many people fishing the lake. It goes to show just how much impact an online forum can have on fishing pressure.

On the one hand, I think it's great that this fishery is being promoted and that fishermen are getting the chance to experience kokanee fishing close to Prince George. The lake has been heavily stocked and can likely handle the increase in fishing pressure. On the other hand, we need to keep in mind how many people must visit this site and be careful not to mention lakes that might have more vulnerable fish populations.  ;)

Offline ianwuzhere

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • GOT ICE??
« Reply #36 on: Jan 14, 2013, 07:25 PM »
Im surprised cuz it was -20c yesterday- too cold for this old guy  ;)
Of the 696 views im sure just a couple have forgot to post up some pix ;)

Offline FirstCast

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #37 on: Jan 15, 2013, 01:22 PM »
It is too late to worry about over fishing Ness. I have fished this lake since I moved up here and have noticed in the last few years a decline in quality fishing. There was a time when one never had a bad day here. Brookies were a three lb average and have had five lb rainbows. Now it is not uncommon to come away with little or no fish. This is probably due to more reasons than just over fishing however is probably a main factor. So if you just limit your catch and not catch your limit will help. Tight lines all. See ya on the ice.

Offline kodiak80

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #38 on: Jan 15, 2013, 07:23 PM »
With the number of fish annually being stocked in ness, I have a hard time believing it can be fished out. 

Kokanee fishing is great.  It is a family fishery, the more the merrier.

Tight lines

Offline British Columbia

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #39 on: Jan 16, 2013, 12:47 AM »
With the number of fish annually being stocked in ness, I have a hard time believing it can be fished out. 

Tight lines

I concur with kodiak.  A quick look at the stocking records for the numbers of fish going into Ness and then talking to some of the folks who have lived out there for a long time, and I am under the impression there's a 'lack' of fishing pressure.

Hopefully this kokanee fishery takes right off by word of mouth like 10 mile lake in Quesnel.  It would be awsome to see lots of people out there ice fishing!

Offline ianwuzhere

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • GOT ICE??
« Reply #40 on: Jan 16, 2013, 12:52 AM »
ya it would be good if the kokanee got big like the ones in 10mile,
theres lots of fish in ness, just gotta find em    :)

Offline FirstCast

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #41 on: Jan 18, 2013, 06:11 PM »

Tight lines
It is fished out of quality Brook and Rainbow trout is what I am saying Kodiak.

Offline kodiak80

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #42 on: Jan 22, 2013, 09:32 PM »
I actually like fishing ten mile.  This Kokanee are big, and the group of old timers that fish the same spot every day are a really friendly bunch that are more than willing to help a noob out.  It's a nice break from elitist fly fisherman who will yell If your boat is within 100 yards  ::)

Offline IceDrisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #43 on: Jan 22, 2013, 10:09 PM »
Yeah for sure, I have fished with the old timers you are referring too. One of them told me that he cans over 400 kokanee a year!

Which brings up a new topic: should people be allowed to fish and keep their limits every day? There is an older gentleman who fishes Cluculz almost every day sometimes all night and he keeps a LOT of ling. Drives a little kids three wheeler. Many of you have probably seen him out there. Really nice guy, but should that be allowed? I have often wondered if there should be a seasonal limit - say 20 ling? Kokanee are obviously different because they are put and take, but the ling are wild and becoming more and more scarce. What do you guys think?

Offline dukes69

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #44 on: Jan 22, 2013, 10:37 PM »
I would totally agree with that. You would think a person who knowingly take hundreds of fish out of a lake each year(ling) would have the sence to know that it is harming the population.  I caught around 50 this year, kept zero.  those kind of #'s can kill a lake fast.  But according to BC all the fish I release are probably dead anyways :P. ;)
2012 Burbot 1st place
2015 Burbot 1st place
2016 Lake Trout 1st place
2017 Burbot 3rd place
2018 Lake Trout 3rd place

Offline ianwuzhere

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • GOT ICE??
« Reply #45 on: Jan 22, 2013, 10:46 PM »
ya it would be good to prevent people who catch and retain big numbers but it can be tuff to regulate that.. especially with the new licenses online system where u can just download and print off as many licenses as one wants..  so marking each catch with a pen on license like was common with salmon could easily be erased, and some people dont use the honor system too much.

Offline kodiak80

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #46 on: Jan 22, 2013, 11:15 PM »
The way to do might to restrict the daily number, or to create slot limits if a lake has valid concerns.  Obviously, this shouldn't apply everywhere.  I agree with Ian, with the new online system, it might be easy to cheat the system if just marking a license with an annual limit.

Kokanee is absolutely a put and take fishery.  They are being stocked to enhance fishing opportunity, and everybody should get out and try fishing for them.  They taste great and are a blast to catch!

Hey, when I'm retired I would only hope to go Kokanee fishing every day like the old timers on ten mile ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.