Author Topic: Tragic news!  (Read 5922 times)

Offline Bill Dance

• Iceshanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Remember, always keep both hands on your rod!
Tragic news!
« on: Oct 15, 2011, 09:27 PM »
It has sadly come to my attention that Terry Sweet (aka) TGF tragically passed away last night. All my thoughts and prayers go out to the family. He will be deeply missed.

rickl1968

Re: Tragic news!
« Reply #1 on: Oct 15, 2011, 09:35 PM »
Sorry to hear that.

I didn't know him but Im sure he will be missed on the site, I see he was a Mod here.

Prayers sent to his family and friends.

Offline Ouzel

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Oct 15, 2011, 11:20 PM »
That is terrible news.
Terry and I had wrote back an forth over the past couple years talking of a future trip similar to the one he took with Drifter 16.

Prayers of comfort for the family.

Offline salmoncandy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Oct 15, 2011, 11:32 PM »
for thos of you who never got a chance to meet Terry Sweet TGF , her is the last footage i have of him with many smiles.
http://www.youtube.com/user/salmoncandy#p/a/u/2/HYeU0V-Q5sk and our last fishing derby
http://www.youtube.com/user/salmoncandy#p/a/u/1/LqURt0UKyYg
 I will miss Terry as much as the water will miss him.
Good bye my Sweet friend.
Scott

Offline Gamagator

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hang on it’s hard water season!
« Reply #4 on: Oct 16, 2011, 07:13 AM »
Words cannot explain the sadness I have felt since hearing the news yesterday morning. We lost one one of the greatest fisherman I have ever had the oppurtunity to fish with. With the vast amount of knowledge he possessed and his passion to teach anyone the art of fishing, made him an icon and someone to look up to. My thoughts and prayers go out to his family and friends. I'm sure gonna miss him. Tightlines TGF!!!

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5 on: Oct 16, 2011, 09:16 AM »
I have no words.   :-\
This has not been a good week as I lost my mom on Friday afternoon and now Terry's gone too.  :'(
I can only hope he is jigging up big lakers somewhere.

Offline LT

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "Need larger flamethrower, you will...!"
« Reply #6 on: Oct 16, 2011, 09:26 AM »
I am shocked and saddened to hear of Terry's passing, I have lost a great site-friend. Our deepest condolences and prayers go out to his family. Rest in God's Peace my friend.                 Don

Offline blue igloo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "We don't remember days....only moments!"
« Reply #7 on: Oct 16, 2011, 06:24 PM »
I was with my best friend just  3 weeks ago and heard from him as late as Tuesday night. His mom contacted me with the tragic news on Saturday. I've been a basket case ever since.
No words will ever fill the void he left behind. I will miss him dearly.
Rest in peace my friend.
Blue Igloo

surflizard

« Reply #8 on: Oct 16, 2011, 06:30 PM »
Our thoughts and prayers go out to his Family and Friends. Sorry for your loss as well Dave. God Bless and Godspeed to all .

The ice road fishers video with Terry and Dave is my all time favorite ice fishing video, he will be missed.

Tony and Val

Offline LoneWolf

• Tournaments/Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Fanatic! >))))>
« Reply #9 on: Oct 16, 2011, 07:56 PM »

I had corresponded with Terry hundreds of times over the years. During the tournaments he was always the first to offer to help out or to defend me ... if I was right.
He was always eager to teach and help a youngster fishing. Over the years Terry had won a drawing in the tournament (on more than 1 occasion) and requested that I anonymously draw a child's name and ship them the prize.
Terry always was a stand up guy and always will be. I'm going to miss him.

Those who are brave are free ..

Offline ianwuzhere

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • GOT ICE??
« Reply #10 on: Oct 16, 2011, 09:13 PM »
..sounds like a crappy week drifter.. :(

This is VERY Tragic news!! :( :(
Ever since i first met Terry one of the first things i noticed was just how generous he was. Generous to give out his secret fishing holes/tricks, to putting on fishing derbys to encourage kids and everyone to enjoy the sport of fishing, to helping people at this day job as a nurse, and to just being him and inspiring me to get out and enjoy the solitude of ice fishing and other passions...
He definatley always put other people first..
I have nothing but great things to say about Terry..  :( :( :(
All the best for his family and loved ones,

we lost one of the good guys :(
~its not over till its soft, --- "tfg".

rickl1968

« Reply #11 on: Oct 16, 2011, 09:17 PM »
I have no words.   :-\
This has not been a good week as I lost my mom on Friday afternoon and now Terry's gone too.  :'(
I can only hope he is jigging up big lakers somewhere.

Sorry to hear about your loss Drifter.  :(

A tough week for sure.

Offline fish-slayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Go big or go home.
« Reply #12 on: Oct 16, 2011, 10:04 PM »
Terry my dear friend i will miss you more then you'll ever know and so will the rest of us its just not gonna be the same with out you on the ice  :'( .We shared a lot of great times 6 feet of snow frost bite but it was worth every cold sleepless night lol ...........Well till we meet again my friend .......THIGHT LINES .......i will never forget you.R.I.P......... :'( :'( :'(
TEAM BC

Offline fishncamp

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Oct 16, 2011, 11:12 PM »
Rest In Peace ....I am shocked and saddened. Your friends here in Manitoba will miss you. Our condolences to Terry's friends and family.
 :(

Offline Barleydog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • MMMM Fish!
« Reply #14 on: Oct 17, 2011, 03:49 PM »
WOW!  This is sad news to me as well...  I have nothing but kind words for the man who has kept in touch with me through the years and has always found the time for a great conversation.  He was a fantastic gentleman and a great guy to chat with...  Prayers go out to Terry's family.  RIP Terry!
TEAM ALASKA

Offline Burbot Buster

• IceShanty Rookie
  • GOT BURBOT?
« Reply #15 on: Oct 17, 2011, 10:13 PM »
This is very very tragic news. I have only known terry for a year now but in that year he showed me more about fishing and generosity than i could have ever lear :'( :'( :'(ned on my own. I noticed terry was a verygenerous nice sweet hearted man that loved being on the water. And he had this smile that just made you enjoy fishing no matter the situation. He always made fishing fun for everyone and i never had a trip with him where i didnt have fun and learn a thing or two. I like to think he is hooking on to some monster fish right now. Goodbye terry you will forever be missed.You were a good mentor and a great friend :'(  :'( R.I.P

My Mom says I'm better than all of you.

Offline Ise De By

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I loves me some fishin'
« Reply #16 on: Oct 17, 2011, 10:16 PM »
I am so saddened.     :'(   I just hunted with Terry last Monday, and as usual, he was a pleasure to be with.  Terry was the most generous, thoughtful person I have ever met.   He taught me a lot on the ice, as well as off the ice, he was always willing to spend the time with my kids to improve their fishing technique.  They will also deeply miss Terry.   :'(     

I spoke to Terry as recent as the night before his accident, as my wife was stuck in Traffic in a separate accident only 3 minutes away from Terry's house, and she had to leave our car at his house and find another way to get home (the road was closed for hours that night)  I find this incredibly tragic that Terry was involved with a separate accident just 24 hours later.

I am glad to have had the opportunity to spend time with this great man,   He will always be in my mind, "my fishing idol" and if there is anything I can do for his family, please, someone let me know.     You will be greatly missed my good friend.   peace be with you.   

Our family's thoughts and prayers goes out to Terry's wife and family

Ise de by who catches the fish...and takes em home to Liza.

Offline blue igloo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "We don't remember days....only moments!"
« Reply #17 on: Oct 17, 2011, 11:12 PM »
I thought I'd share a few pics of my last visit with Terry just 3 weeks ago.
NOTE: time stamp is Winnipeg time

My last photo taken of Terry  :'(

Blue Igloo  :tipup:

Offline hoghammer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Oct 18, 2011, 10:39 AM »
Condolances to his family and friends. RIP TGF

Hog

Offline Mainedog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Oct 18, 2011, 11:35 AM »
So sorry to hear this.
I corresponded with Terry on several occasions, and could tell, if ever given the chance to spend any time with him, he'd instantly become a good friend.  He obviously loved life and fishing, and as others have already stated was very generous with his time and knowledge.
His presence here will be missed.

MD

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
« Reply #20 on: Oct 18, 2011, 11:40 AM »
Great photos Blue Igloo.  Thank you for sharing them.
New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

Offline pgfishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • pg fishin
« Reply #21 on: Oct 18, 2011, 03:13 PM »
My thoughts go out to his family and friends. I will always admire his generosity and love for sharing the outdoors with everyone even, complete strangers. The world indeed lost one of the good guys!

RIP TGF

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #22 on: Oct 18, 2011, 05:50 PM »
This hit my pretty hard, one thing I enjoyed about IS was bantering back and forth with Terry. He has been a solid guy and a great friend to IS members new and old. We had tried to meet up a few times as he had family in my area and made the long trek down annually.

you'll be missed buddy

Offline Canadianiceguy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Oct 18, 2011, 06:11 PM »
im at a lost for words here. i give my condolences to his family and friends.

Offline HaveAuger

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #24 on: Oct 18, 2011, 06:26 PM »
my condolences. sounds like we will all miss out

Offline fishercat

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hard water or soft water just let me fish
« Reply #25 on: Oct 18, 2011, 07:21 PM »
I have no idea what to say I'm at a total loss for words. My best to his family.

Offline er-e-is

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Oct 22, 2011, 06:20 PM »
I am saddened to hear of Terry's accident. My prayers go out to his family and friends. God Bless You All.

Offline WALLYWHACKER

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Work is for days I don't fish!
« Reply #27 on: Oct 22, 2011, 09:40 PM »
Geez, Its still hard to believe. I consider myself to be very fortunate to have had the oppurtunity to have spent time with Terry on a few occasions fishing in the past, as well as a few of his good friends of whom I know feel equally blessed. Terry was the type of person who if you had only met him and known him a short time , would have made you feel like you had known him a lifetime.I for sure will miss that Big Smile.

Our thoughts and prayers are with Terry and his Family.
" Gone but never Forgotten "  See you on the other side Terry. Tightlines Bud. :(

Offline Kozfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Just a second...I'll get the Calmer Downer
« Reply #28 on: Oct 23, 2011, 03:48 PM »
just came in from working 2 weeks in the mountains and heard the news.....sad i missed his funeral.....find us the good holes up there terry
we'll be fishing with you again some day

Offline bossman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • im all about settin hooks
« Reply #29 on: Oct 23, 2011, 08:43 PM »
hey Terry..thanks for all the info brother...u will be missed...
Its all about the good times.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.