Author Topic: New to the area and ice fishing(sorta)  (Read 752 times)

Offline Msteffen

• IceShanty Rookie
New to the area and ice fishing(sorta)
« on: Jan 21, 2016, 11:25 AM »
Hi,

I've only recently moved to the area (Seacoast region, in Newmarket), and I am keen on doing some ice fishing. Seems like a lot of ice is safe at the moment.

While I have the necessary gear (auger, ice fishing pole and reel), I largely do not know what I am doing.

Was wondering if there is any general advice people are willing to give for the area. In particular, I still need to buy lures, and was wondering what I should start out with. I am really just interested in catching fish, and at the moment, any kind of fish will do.

Thanks,
Mike
Mike

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: New to the area and ice fishing(sorta)
« Reply #1 on: Jan 21, 2016, 11:29 AM »
Welcome
You count your years by the Winters.

It’s not being Cocky if you can back it up.

Offline Mr.Harry

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 21, 2016, 11:33 AM »
Get a set of mid range tip ups. At least 4 or 5. Get the right clothing so you stay warm and dry. Boots are huge. Find a smaller lake or pond near you with bass, perch, and pick's. Get the navionics app for your smart phone. If you open water fish, use some of that same knowledge to target where the fish will be holding on said waterbody. Get shiners. Drop them in and begin the learning curve. Dig around in here or just ask pertinent questions and you will progress quickly. I would start with live bait on tip ups over jigging, initially at least.

Offline Coffin Dodger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 21, 2016, 11:51 AM »
Welcome!

Dig around in here

Learn to use the search option on here.
Most questions have been asked and answered.

Offline Mr.Harry

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 21, 2016, 12:01 PM »
If you can find someone locally who's looking for a fishing partner and/or willing to mentor, you're doubly graced. That's the best way.

Offline whitewing

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 21, 2016, 12:53 PM »
Check F&G website. Good info. there - lakes and ponds, depths, access etc. Welcome and good luck.

Offline winnisquam guy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 21, 2016, 03:03 PM »
x2 on NH F&G website. also, take a ride up to kittery trading post, they'll have what you need to get started

Offline zwiggles

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 21, 2016, 03:14 PM »
AJ's is a hike from Newmarket, but I would recommend going to speak with him. He has all the gear you could ever want, and has been really helpful for a relative newbie when I have asked him questions. He has also been very kind to me, and made good on any issues I have had with purchases. Last winter I bought a lowrance unit for our boat, and it was sold to me without a piece which was required. After some conversations over the phone I headed up to AJs and he gave me the piece to complete the unit without any charge. Considering it was a $500 piece of equipment I pretty much go to him for anything fishing related now.

It also isn't a bad drive from Newmarket if you head up 16 and then drive along winni.

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #8 on: Jan 21, 2016, 05:16 PM »
Hi,

Seems like a lot of ice is safe at the moment.

Thanks,
Mike
Mike

Not true. There is no safe ice. Buy a Jiffy 2 piece chisel.

Welcome.

Offline jibbs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • C:\Documents and Settings\jgirard\My Documents\My
« Reply #9 on: Jan 21, 2016, 05:37 PM »
Go to suds and soda ..get everything you need
when chuck norris played golf for money, chuck marked down a hole in zero every time, the golf pro said, "chuck: you can't score zero on a hole." Chuck norris turned towards the man and said, "I'm chuck norris, the man proceeded to pour gas over his body and set himself on fire because that would be less painful than getting roundhouse kicked by chuck norris....chuck norris roundhouse kicked him in the face anyways

Offline OldCaveman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Jan 21, 2016, 06:58 PM »
Not true. There is no safe ice. Buy a Jiffy 2 piece chisel.

Welcome.

Best advice in this post so far.

PS  WELCOME
John

Offline HuntnFish603

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If I can hunt it, or fish it....I'M THERE!
« Reply #11 on: Jan 21, 2016, 07:03 PM »
x2 on suds n soda. They have anything you'll need and pretty close to you. The bait Ive been getting there this year has been good quality also.
- In every walk with nature, every hunt, every fishing trip....one receives far more than he seeks.

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jan 21, 2016, 08:56 PM »
Welcome, you'll be able to learn a lot on this site. As mentioned above shiners and traps will catch about anything. For jigging a few micro tungsten jigs in different colors and some wax worms or spikes will catch pretty much any panfish...
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline DConICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Jan 22, 2016, 09:15 AM »

Best advice in this post so far.

PS  WELCOME

Totally agree.... take my chisel out no matter what the thickness... always testing the ice as I go..

Offline Msteffen

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Jan 23, 2016, 07:49 PM »
Made it out today and had a blast! Nothing particularly big, but I found 2 holes that were awesome producers! I didnt have high hopes today but got over 30 fish, I stopped counting. Ended up stopping at suds and soda also, great store, love these little local stores. Planning on going back out tomorrow.

Mike

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.