The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Auger Troubleshooting  (Read 998 times)

Offline umoguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
Auger Troubleshooting
« on: Mar 12, 2010, 12:27 PM »
Any small engine experts out there? I've got an old eskimo, has run, cut, and started great. At the end of the season this year it started cutting out on me whenever I gave it the gas too quickly. Began starting hard as well as I couldn't just hold the gas full throttle and yank on her. Problems started on a long trip up north where the auger took a good pounding over the roads (gas tank spring actually broke, she's held on with a toilet flush chain right now). Could the carb just need adjustment or should I look at rebuilding it? Something else all together?

Offline Westerly

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Formerly bbpinecone
Re: Auger Troubleshooting
« Reply #1 on: Mar 12, 2010, 01:02 PM »
I'm no expert, but when my old Eskimo was doing the same thing last year I completely dismantled the carb, cleaned everything up nice, put it all right back together again (no new parts), reset the adjustments and it ran like a champ again.  One word of advise though - don't do it on the kitchen table.  Thought I had everything covered up, but the cleaner still took some finish off in places and I landed in some hot water.  Also, I lost that tank spring years ago and replaced it with some 3/8 bungee material that hooks right over the original spring anchors.  Not quite as solid, but it works alright.  Good luck!

Offline Skidda

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Thats why they call it fishin, not catchin........
« Reply #2 on: Mar 19, 2010, 04:57 PM »
Throw it away and buy a Jiffy :tipup:

Offline mainedukblaster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • THE CAMP!!
« Reply #3 on: Mar 19, 2010, 09:28 PM »
your carb adjustments shifted, get some amsoil sabre 100:1 (from amsoil.com, or find the local guy in your area on the website) and find the adjustment instructions for your eskimo, and go with it...  I have the instructions for a jiffy adjustments, but not eskimo.  use a new plug..  it will be all right..   8)

Offline LilBadger

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Mar 19, 2010, 11:12 PM »
I also have an Old Eskimo also and have had the same problem, but could drill holes fine at my house on a personal pond but after transporting it to local lakes it would die out on me. ???

Offline Corso

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Mar 20, 2010, 05:15 AM »
the old eskimo's were always like that...I remember being young and going w/my uncle,father and having the exact same thing happen as lilbadger typed...were sooooo much more advanced in the auger action now(Jiffy)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.