Author Topic: Got my season started, 1/9. Wethersfield Cove  (Read 1089 times)

Trooper Bri

Got my season started, 1/9. Wethersfield Cove
« on: Jan 10, 2011, 06:29 PM »
Met up with Spanker yesterday and finally went fishing. July 20'th was the last time I went fishing. Go ahead, I'll wait for the laughter to stop...
That trip in July was an all nighter to catch and freeze some pike bait. Which got put to use yesterday.

We were afraid there'd be too much snow on Miss Winch along with the evil winds, so we wussed and did Wethersfield Cove. Got there at 7, and only a few cars in the lot. We decided to try the spot behind DMV near the outflow knowing good fish get pulled from there.
Well, the good fish were elsewhere. Along with the great fish, decent fish, and just about any other fish. Between the two of us, we had 8 tipups dedicated to pike. I also had 2 with shiners planted around a buoy for a while.

Spanker, who likey da' LX-3, was off and jigging as usual. Didn't take long to find out what all the activity on the Marcum was. Big balls of spot tail shiners. The shack was over 15ft of water, and at times the flasher would light up from bottom to 8 or 9 ft. Frank had also jigged up a crappie and bluegill by the time I pulled a tipup and joined him. Took Franks advice and tied on a Hali, and then I was into them too.
Caught a bunch for his tank at home, then I crimped the barb on my hook and C&R'd them for the rest of the day.

Had one shiner flag pop, just a chew & screw. The rest were quiet all day. I'm not a jigger by heart, but it was fun to get out of the freakin' wind and jig up some shiners and have a couple brews. I have a light ice rod, which made it easier. Not my best day out, and not my worst. Slow fishing is better than no fishing.

Offline Jessox80

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "The malevolent aged grin..."- Hughes
Re: Got my season started, 1/9. Wethersfield Cove
« Reply #1 on: Jan 10, 2011, 06:47 PM »
Putting the time in is what this game is all about : )
Pike fishing is a like a cruel mistress that is too beautiful to leave.

Offline Paul D.

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 10, 2011, 07:05 PM »
You actually do fish??? All this time I figured you were a  mercenary Moderator  ;D.  You are always welcome to make the trek down here for a jigging fix, open invite Bri.

Offline hrdwtr24

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 10, 2011, 07:06 PM »
Better than sitting home!! can't catch anything from the couch.... ;D

Offline RickC

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 10, 2011, 07:51 PM »
I used to think the same about jigging until I picked up a flasher. Now I can't seem to put the jigstick down.

You are always welcome to make the trek down here for a jigging fix, open invite Bri.

What about me  :-* Geez, see if I do any bunker scouting trips for you guys this spring  ;D

Offline calicohunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 10, 2011, 08:29 PM »
We also were at Wethersfield on Sunday and had the same luck. A few perch on the tip-ups and jigging and also had constant action with the spot tails. We kept about 20 for the bait tank. We set up 4 tip ups in front of the channel for pike and had no luck. Hopefully better action next weekend.

Offline spanky1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 10, 2011, 10:35 PM »
Though the fishing was a little off  ::) Bri is always a blast to fish with. Thank God we have a good time fishing because the fish just wouldn't cooperate. I managed 4 species...1 crappie, 1 gill and 1 white perch to go along with the 20 or so spot tails.

Here is Bri 1st flad of the season...

and a pic of the highlight of the day...a little calico  :-\

It's not much of a report but hey, Bri got to walk on water for the 1st time this season. Hopefully we have no where to go from here but up!

Till next time buddy!!!!!!
Don't give up, don't EVER give up - Jimmy V

Offline waltsfishing

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • AH-SUNSET -to fish or not to fish what a stupid ?
« Reply #7 on: Jan 11, 2011, 10:28 AM »
we found the same last week when me and bug went to that spot

Offline miked

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • jack perch
« Reply #8 on: Jan 11, 2011, 09:41 PM »
beat's working.
[img]

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor