The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Clam Ice Auger/Cordless Drill Review  (Read 161482 times)

Offline peteinvermont

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Clam Ice Auger/Cordless Drill Review
« Reply #570 on: Jan 05, 2016, 09:28 AM »
For cutting ice, the 750 or 1200 both do well with not too much torque. The side handle is poorly designed for hole saws above 5" as it has enough torque to break the connection and damage the body of the drill where the handle connects. Makita side handle is a much better design and has no problem keeping up with the M18 1200. The only reason I choose to take the M18 over the Makita on ice is that I use other Milwaukee products while fishing and can keep the same battery system for everything else. Where are you reading the reviews and what problems are others having? I just ordered an M18 Super Hawg and will be using it with a 10" Nils. Should be a fun experiment...

I just bought an 8" Nils, so I'm sure both the Makita or the M18 will handle it ok.  I have a gift card with Amazon I'm going to use to buy this, so I don't have much choice but to spend my money there, and the Makita kit is more money than the M18.  My hesitation was when a local contractor told me he returned his Gen2 Fuel because he hated the chuck on it.  Then I read the reviews on Amazon and they echo'd his thoughts.  I'm probably just over analyzing it and I need to pull the trigger soon....its almost time to fish.

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #571 on: Jan 05, 2016, 04:44 PM »
The chuck on mine is totally fine as far as I can tell. Was drilling on 12" of ice the other day and did close to thirty holes (8" Nils) with a 5.0. The battery only dropped one bar by the end of the day. With an 8" Nils, a 750 is great. I have lost track of which drill I am using between the two. They both do a great job with 4.0 or bigger batteries. 2.0 batteries will sometimes shut the operation down, but even they are fine in most situations. Get it and enjoy!

Offline Buttonbuckslayer!

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #572 on: Jan 05, 2016, 05:31 PM »
I'm getting a little nervous about my newly purchased Milwaukee fuel.  The first one I bought had a bad chuck on it, I thought it was just a freak occurrence.  I got a bit locked in it testing it out in the basement.  Had to put it in a vice to get the bit out, then it wouldn't tighten smoothly. I returned it for a new one, but haven't used it too much yet.

Offline peteinvermont

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #573 on: Jan 06, 2016, 07:42 AM »
I'm getting a little nervous about my newly purchased Milwaukee fuel.  The first one I bought had a bad chuck on it, I thought it was just a freak occurrence.  I got a bit locked in it testing it out in the basement.  Had to put it in a vice to get the bit out, then it wouldn't tighten smoothly. I returned it for a new one, but haven't used it too much yet.

where did you buy it from and were they easy to return with?

Offline dfeste

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #574 on: Jan 06, 2016, 08:27 AM »
I just bought the 2nd generation Fuel drill and have it paired with the new plate.  So far so good after a couple trips with less than a foot of ice.  After seeing the negative reviews on the chucks I searched the internet for an aftermarket 9/16 chuck and came up empty.  I'd have no problem going to a keyed chuck for all around use if the current chuck becomes a problem.  If anyone sees an aftermarket chuck some place I'd appreciate a heads up as to where you found it.

I'll be sure to keep the information coming forward if I run into any issues or make any changes to the drill.

Dave

Offline Buttonbuckslayer!

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #575 on: Jan 06, 2016, 11:41 AM »
where did you buy it from and were they easy to return with?
I got it from Home Depot, they exchanged it without incident.  It was only a day old. 

Offline Majja13

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #576 on: Jan 07, 2016, 09:48 AM »
I had the privilege of using my buddies on its maiden voyage.  It is the Clam plate 3.0 with the 1200# Milwaukee   I was drilling in 8-10 inches of hard clear ice.  I had a Mora 6" and a Mora 8"  the 6 cut through like hot butter.  The 8 you could tell it was working to get through especially right at punch through.  I will add a link of video I shot of the 6" I should of done one with the 8" on it, but I did not think of it.  I would like to thy a Nills or a K-drill auger in 8" to see how they compare to my Mora.  I am only 5.9 and it felt short I would recommend the adapter to make it a tad longer.

https://youtu.be/5_oMtUzlJdE 

Offline IceDoc

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #577 on: Jan 07, 2016, 09:51 AM »
I just used the Milwaukee 18v Fuel with the Clam plate this last weekend.  Drilled through about 6" of ice with a 7" hand auger.  This was by the far the best setup i've ever had.  It was so nice to not have to fire up the gas powered auger every time we wanted to move.  Drilled over 50 holes and still had some left in the battery.   
Never test the depth of the water with both feet.

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #578 on: Jan 07, 2016, 09:59 AM »
I had the privilege of using my buddies on its maiden voyage.  It is the Clam plate 3.0 with the 1200# Milwaukee   I was drilling in 8-10 inches of hard clear ice.  I had a Mora 6" and a Mora 8"  the 6 cut through like hot butter.  The 8 you could tell it was working to get through especially right at punch through.  I will add a link of video I shot of the 6" I should of done one with the 8" on it, but I did not think of it.  I would like to thy a Nills or a K-drill auger in 8" to see how they compare to my Mora.  I am only 5.9 and it felt short I would recommend the adapter to make it a tad longer.

https://youtu.be/5_oMtUzlJdE
                       I have the same set-up only with the 6" lazer and extension, and last year drilled thru 22" ice about 30-40 times with the temp right around zero, no warming batteries, course wouldn't hurt.  These were 4ah batteries, about 2" per second, faster than most if not all gas augers with no mess!!

Offline rickwalley

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #579 on: Jan 10, 2016, 05:51 PM »
Hey Shack man Shoney…
Did you get your adapters back from the machine shop?  I had mine redone to 9/16".  It has a very slight wobble that I'm going to deal with for my next weekend trip, but would like to get it perfect in the long run.  Might need to see if Clam will sell me a few of the old style adapters and take another run at it with a different machine shop.  I kind of still like the old style way with the chuck being out of play.…I just wish Milwaukee didn't change their chuck spindle size this year to 9/16".

Offline Fisherman-Andy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #580 on: Jan 11, 2016, 08:55 AM »
Hey Shack man Shoney…
Did you get your adapters back from the machine shop?  I had mine redone to 9/16".  It has a very slight wobble that I'm going to deal with for my next weekend trip, but would like to get it perfect in the long run.  Might need to see if Clam will sell me a few of the old style adapters and take another run at it with a different machine shop.  I kind of still like the old style way with the chuck being out of play.…I just wish Milwaukee didn't change their chuck spindle size this year to 9/16".

Clam is well aware of the Gen 2 Milwaukee Fuel using the 9/16 chuck spindle.   And they already have 9/16 adapters available to fit the old clam plate.  The adapters can be purchased for $6 by calling Clam customer service.  Just mention you need the 9/16 adapter.

Offline Shack man Shoney

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #581 on: Jan 12, 2016, 05:38 PM »
Hey Shack man Shoney…
I did get it back and got it all assembled. I went out to check ice on a pond here in central Iowa this afternoon and drilled a few holes.... This new Milwaukee 1200 in\lb drill is AWESOME!!!!! I did not drill for maximum number of holes but the speed is unbelievable and the chips were flying 4-5 feet from the hole. I had my own adapter modified but its going to be easier and cheaper to get one from Clam if they are making them available... I'm VERY happy with the maiden voyage of this setup.

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #582 on: Jan 12, 2016, 05:45 PM »
I did get it back and got it all assembled. I went out to check ice on a pond here in central Iowa this afternoon and drilled a few holes.... This new Milwaukee 1200 in\lb drill is AWESOME!!!!! I did not drill for maximum number of holes but the speed is unbelievable and the chips were flying 4-5 feet from the hole. I had my own adapter modified but its going to be easier and cheaper to get one from Clam if they are making them available... I'm VERY happy with the maiden voyage of this setup.
                        Are you using the new clam plate, the one you don't have to take chuck off??

Offline nhbooner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #583 on: Jan 12, 2016, 06:13 PM »
Not sure if this was posted on here already but didn't see it after looking at multiple pages.  Will an 8 inch nils blue hand auger fit the new clam plate?

Thank you

Offline Shack man Shoney

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #584 on: Jan 12, 2016, 08:37 PM »
                        Are you using the new clam plate, the one you don't have to take chuck off??
No I converted my old style plate to fit the new drill.

Offline mrch33

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Flag UP!
« Reply #585 on: Jan 12, 2016, 10:25 PM »
Has anyone taken the nils collar and drilled it out to 9/16?  I just had mine done for the gen 2 and am interested to hear if anyone has tried it. Hoping to use it with an 8 in nils
Tight Lines Boys!

Offline daman4799

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #586 on: Jan 13, 2016, 08:53 AM »
Just used my setup last weekend. The new plate, 750 lb. Milwaukee and 7" mora. Worked great, drilled about 35 holes on 4" of ice. Still had 3 bars left. Never kept the battery warm but was 30 outside.
Later, Daman

Offline Sharp Nils

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • Team IceShanty Regular
Frank DeLuca

[email protected]

Offline GatorNY

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #588 on: Jan 16, 2016, 04:15 PM »
Just a note to anyone thinking about the Nils to Clam adapter on eBay. I got mine in the mail today and the fit is awesome! No wobble at all. I ordered the longer adapter than will fit both the blue and orange Nils...you need to accommodate the hex extension on the orange one...and now with the Milwaukee Gen2 and two batteries, I'm good to go. Two thumbs up!

Offline peteinvermont

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #589 on: Jan 18, 2016, 09:24 AM »
Took my Gen2 Fuel and 8" Blue Nils out this weekend for the maiden voyage.  So far I've drilled 44 holes through ice that was between 4" and 9" thick and my battery gauge on the 4.0 battery is at half.  I didn't use teh clam plate, and maybe at the end of the winter I'll feel differently about the setup.  But as of right now, if you're someone thats on the edge and can't decide if this is a good way to go....it is...

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #590 on: Jan 18, 2016, 09:57 AM »
Had my DeWalt 995/StrikeMaster 6" Lazer combo with old style plate out several days ago...I was impressed.. even with the China blades ...I had this same set up out last year with a Dewalt 771 (burnt that up)..its seem not to be such/same problem grabbing the last bit of ice ...but only drilling 6" of ice ..so more testing is in order ...I must thank all of you IS members  who posted their experiences with their preferred drill/auger/plate combos as it did help me immensely on my decision making . :flex:
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline COLD-AS-ICE

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #591 on: Jan 22, 2016, 10:05 PM »
Bought the new clam plate and put my porter cable 20v drill into it with an Eskimo 8" blade. Works great! Myself and 7 other buddies went fishing for 3 days. 4"-10" of ice with 5 holes each for all of us. And we moved traps often. Only drained one battery and partially on another each day out. All my buddies laughed at me when I pulled it out. But after I drilled my holes they all took a try and they parked their gas augers. Left them at camp all weekend and now they all want one! I was skeptical when I first got the drill plate, but wow they work awesome and at a fraction of the cost and weight

Offline dabills

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #592 on: Jan 23, 2016, 10:05 AM »
I just got an auger conversion kit not the clam plate. Had one ordered but it was taking too long so I spent around $15 for the kit. I use it with my 8" fin bore with 18v milwaukee Gen 1 with 4ah battery. Drilled through about 15 holes of 4 inch ice leaving the battery outside all day in freezing Temps and I had 3/4 charge when I left. So far this setup is all I need but I'll see how it works with thicker ice.

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #593 on: Jan 23, 2016, 10:36 AM »
I just got an auger conversion kit not the clam plate. Had one ordered but it was taking to long so I spent around $15 for the kit. I use it with my 8" fin bore with 18v milwaukee Gen 1 with 4ah battery. Drilled through about 15 holes of 4 inch ice leaving the battery outside all day in freezing Temps and I had 3/4 charge when I left. So far this setup is all I need but I'll see how it works with thicker ice.
          You will be surprised, the cold has very little if any effect on the Milwaukee batteries!!

Offline rickwalley

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #594 on: Jan 24, 2016, 10:29 AM »
Damn Yankee........
Why do you say a person needs to take off .120 from the end of the adapter?  My modified 9/16" thread version seems to allow the chuck retaining screw to bite.  Is it just to allow a few more threads to grab?

Offline Mag2000

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #595 on: Feb 09, 2016, 07:50 AM »
Just bought the new 1200 in. lbs. torque Milwaukee fuel with 5.0 battery for my Clam plate.  I took out a 5" mora and a 7" lazer to test.  The 5" worked like butter at slow and fasts speeds.  The 7" lazer cut just as well but had problems on breakthrough...it would get stuck and that Milwaukee is super strong, had to be careful on the wrists.  Might try a 6" mora as the standard.  I drilled 25 holes with the 5" and 15 with the 7" and I still had 75% of the battery life left.  Ice was 12" and fairly soft.

Offline buz23

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #596 on: Feb 09, 2016, 06:15 PM »
Bare tool 2704 M18 (1200#) is less than $100.  But my 2604 (725#) works great, no need to replace it.  (6" lazer, clam plate w extension).

Offline majormaj

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • They just call me Major.
« Reply #597 on: Feb 12, 2016, 08:03 AM »
Are you guys running the 1200# M18 at the low speed or high speed?  Took my M18 and 7" Lazer bit out for a test run the other day.  We have 17" of ice and that thing went through it like butter.  3 holes in 22 seconds on the low speed so I guess I probably won't even need to use it on high.

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #598 on: Feb 12, 2016, 08:08 AM »
Are you guys running the 1200# M18 at the low speed or high speed?  Took my M18 and 7" Lazer bit out for a test run the other day.  We have 17" of ice and that thing went through it like butter.  3 holes in 22 seconds on the low speed so I guess I probably won't even need to use it on high.
                                Always run on low speed!

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #599 on: Feb 12, 2016, 08:08 AM »
#1 gear.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.